Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DHeptinstall  
#1 Posted : 16 October 2017 14:42:33(UTC)
DHeptinstall

Hi all

I am expecting to have passed the NEBOSH National Diploma come November when the Unit D results are out.

I'm interested to hear what sort of H&S jobs could be available for me.

I currently work as a Facilities Manager (with company-wide H&S responsibilities) in the education/charity sector and see that most roles currently advertised are for construction, engineering or other industries which all require experience within that environment.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to get a foot in the door H&S career wise?

I have a fair bit of experience in the field but it's never been a part of my job title.

Thanks

georgiaredmayne  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2017 06:54:02(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

Hi,

Have you thought about doing a bit of volunteering or perhaps looking for jobs with utility/FM companies which require H&S professionals?

P.S. Well done on the Dip!

thanks 1 user thanked georgiaredmayne for this useful post.
DHeptinstall on 17/10/2017(UTC)
DHeptinstall  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2017 09:28:24(UTC)
DHeptinstall

Yeah not too sure how volunteering would fit in with a full time job..... will check out utility companies.

Maybe go in for a H&S role with less responsibility and work upwards.

Thanks!

pl53  
#4 Posted : 17 October 2017 14:24:46(UTC)
pl53

It's hard I know but I don't see how volunteering would give you any further experience to what you already have, if as you say, you already have company wide H&S responsibilities, although that does seem to be the stock response on this forum.  If I were you I would make a list of what you already do H&S wise in your current role and see how that can be maximised / expanded. A lot of companies ask for experience in the field that they operate, but many also recognise that a big part of H&S management is transferable and what is applicable to one industry is equally applicable to many others. Sure, there are ceertain specialities but in the main, H&S is the domain of the general practioner.

thanks 1 user thanked pl53 for this useful post.
DHeptinstall on 17/10/2017(UTC)
DHeptinstall  
#5 Posted : 17 October 2017 15:27:20(UTC)
DHeptinstall

Thanks pl53.

I will see how I can make it clear on my CV what my H&S role includes....

jodieclark1510  
#6 Posted : 19 October 2017 07:31:57(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Try and use the experience you have fit that into what is being asked in the job role. i.e. if you apply for a job on a construction site and they want RA's to be written, even though you may not have done this in a construction setting, you may already have experience of the process in your current or previous role.

Tastyshrimp  
#7 Posted : 20 October 2017 12:13:24(UTC)
Tastyshrimp

Hi OP,

I currently work in a higher education institution, and am shortly leaving to join a research organisation, still within the academic sphere. I found both jobs on www.jobs.ac.uk - just type 'safety' into the search box and see if any of these suit you. There are two jobs going in my current team- PM me if you want details :-)

You could also try one or more of the recruitment agencies out there, although I've personally not had much luck with them. Try Shirley Parsons, Principal People or Allen York.

Good luck with the search!

thanks 1 user thanked Tastyshrimp for this useful post.
DHeptinstall on 20/10/2017(UTC)