Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Oliverp1  
#1 Posted : 04 October 2017 13:40:49(UTC)
Oliverp1

Hello I have completed the NEBOSH General certificate and I work full time and have done for three years now. What would be the next logical step in terms of my career development? I like the idea of attending University part time and doing a undergrad degree but is that necessary? would doing a level 5 NVQ be best or the NEBOSH diploma.

Also if I do the above what would be the step after that I understand that experiance is key but I would like the education to back it up. 

Cheers. 

WatsonD  
#2 Posted : 04 October 2017 14:43:35(UTC)
WatsonD

Well a lot depends on what you ewant to get out of any qualification you do. An NVQ is basically an assessment of you and your job role. It does not involve and training.

A Nebosh diploma has for a long time bee nthe industry standard qualification. It involves a grat deal of learning and relies (save a short assignment) on your ability to complete 3 x3 hours exams sucessfully, to be able to demonstrate what you have learnt.

There are other options. You have already notedd a degree, the BSC deliver a course (similar in vein to NEBOSH, or of course the new NCRQ - which is undertaken remotely via marked assignments.

All I beleive will allow you to gain Grad IOSH status, so the reality is, that it is up-to-you. Many people will have their preferences (likely based on what they did themselves)

thanks 2 users thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
Oliverp1 on 04/10/2017(UTC), Johndoh1976 on 30/11/2017(UTC)
lorna  
#3 Posted : 05 October 2017 07:28:29(UTC)
lorna

I think it depends which qualification would be best for your workplace, & any plans to move on. I'm CMIOSH with a cognate degree and have never considered the NEBOSH Diploma - it seemed, to me, to be better suited to more industrial workplaces than I ever had any intention of working in.

There is one downside to doing anything other than the NEBOSH Diploma - you will spend the next 20+ years explaining that your qualification is equivalent and being passed over by recruitment agencies because their seearch engines only look for NEBOSH...

thanks 1 user thanked lorna for this useful post.
Oliverp1 on 05/10/2017(UTC)
jodieclark1510  
#4 Posted : 05 October 2017 07:34:42(UTC)
jodieclark1510

It also depends on what your situation is. Funding is a big consideration- is it coming out of your own pocket? How much time can you realistically dedicate to the qualificatiom? What learning style suits you best? Is there a certain direction your employers would like you to go or is this off your own back? Ask for some information for each course from the providers and ask some questions so you can make a choice that suits you.

Good luck with what direction you choose

thanks 1 user thanked jodieclark1510 for this useful post.
georgiaredmayne  
#5 Posted : 05 October 2017 07:48:11(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

Hi Oliver,

Having recently completed the Diploma it is a great learning experience and I personally learnt alot from it. I gives you a lot more background than the Certificate but it allows you to build up the knowledge that you have gained from doing the certificate.

Having said that, it takes a lot of time and dedication (revision etc. I think it is around 150-200 hours extra revision thats required before each exam however if you have a good memory you wont necessarily need to do that much)

The Diploma is made up of 3 x 3 hour exams (which you can only do every 6 months in Jan and July) and one dissertation (Unit DNI). I guess it really depends on your learning style.

Personally I am not any good with exams however I did pass all first time (thats a real surprise considering the depth that was required for the answers!)

Good luck on whatever path you take.

thanks 1 user thanked georgiaredmayne for this useful post.
Oliverp1  
#6 Posted : 05 October 2017 08:36:48(UTC)
Oliverp1

Thanks for all your advise guys.

I am currently leaning towards a degree. The company I work at would fund it or the majority of it but I think I would only have the entry requirements for an Undergraduate degree would this mean I would also have to do a masters afterwards? 

ShaunBaker91  
#7 Posted : 05 October 2017 10:22:11(UTC)
ShaunBaker91

Hello

I am currently doing the NCRQ diploma, it is great has a great support structure and is easy to follow with case studies that give an insight into real events.

It is expected to become just as recognised as NEBOSH which is also a plus but I have the intention to do a MSC so my view could be biased as I will be continuing onto a university Masters.

I really do recommend NCRQ though if your company or potential companies recognise the qualification (most ask for equivalent now so they will recognise) if they do not explain you end up with 2 certificates at level 6 and a Diploma at Level 6 equivalent to the Degree Level.

hope this has helped.

Shaun.

Waz  
#8 Posted : 05 October 2017 12:33:10(UTC)
Waz

Bridgette Leathley produced an article in the IOSH magazine in November 2016 with all the elements for each mode of study.  This was further expanded on by CADUK in April this year (they assess NVQs) and they look at particular the benefits of NVQ (I am an assessor too - not for them).

In my own experience, having trained the NEBOSH IDip, Assessed NVQs I think it is down to the learning style and acceptance of challenge that the learner must consider.  If you produce work for feedback on the Diploma - its generally not personable, however the NVQ Assessor is just that, speaks to you, looks at your strengths and weaknesses and works on you the individual and not the class as a whole.

Best of luck, but I do feel the move from NEBOSH Gen Cert to degree is a step too far.

Waz

Oliverp1  
#9 Posted : 05 October 2017 14:17:49(UTC)
Oliverp1

Originally Posted by: Waz Go to Quoted Post

Bridgette Leathley produced an article in the IOSH magazine in November 2016 with all the elements for each mode of study.  This was further expanded on by CADUK in April this year (they assess NVQs) and they look at particular the benefits of NVQ (I am an assessor too - not for them).

In my own experience, having trained the NEBOSH IDip, Assessed NVQs I think it is down to the learning style and acceptance of challenge that the learner must consider.  If you produce work for feedback on the Diploma - its generally not personable, however the NVQ Assessor is just that, speaks to you, looks at your strengths and weaknesses and works on you the individual and not the class as a whole.

Best of luck, but I do feel the move from NEBOSH Gen Cert to degree is a step too far.

Waz

Yes I feel it may be a step too far also but I think it is what path I want to follow in the future. Shaun Baker I havent heard of the NCRQ diploma I will have a look into that. What seperates this from an NVQ? is that next step for you a masters after this  NCRQ diploma? Also how long does it take to complete?

ShaunBaker91  
#10 Posted : 05 October 2017 14:40:47(UTC)
ShaunBaker91

It took me 6 weeks to complete the first certificate but I was putting roughly 25 hours a week into revision I am on the 2nd certificate at the moment which is taking longer this is due to less time in put and harder study module but i do feel it would be acheivable over a year depending on time input.

NVQ is level 5 and is not degree equivalent. NCRQ is level 6 and degree equivalent.

and yes NCRQ was one of the later ones to start hence why knowledge of NCRQ is not as well known.

Edited by user 05 October 2017 14:41:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked ShaunBaker91 for this useful post.
Johndoh1976  
#11 Posted : 30 November 2017 18:13:48(UTC)
Johndoh1976

Has anybody completed the Nebosh diploma via e-learning? If so how did you find the study? I'm looking to that as my best option purely on the basis of I'm having to self fund and can pay this over 12 months. But I've heard it's extremely difficult and requires extra tuition. I'm 3yrs into an OU degree so manage well with distance learning, but I would of liked the proof of work experience an NVQ provides.
Fraser38932  
#12 Posted : 06 December 2017 14:17:07(UTC)
Fraser38932

Nebosh diploma for me if you want to get interviews. I was faced with this dilema over 10 years ago, but decided to go the NEBOSH route. I had a cognate degree also, but wanted to make myself extra employable at the time.

NVQ is ok, but I would go with NEBOSH ( if you are good at studying and handling the pressure ).

Good luck whatever way you choose.

john.

Brian George  
#13 Posted : 16 December 2017 12:24:59(UTC)
Brian George

Considering employability, recruiters seek and prefer ones with the NEBOSH Diploma; it has been the way so far here in the Middle East.

simon73  
#14 Posted : 16 January 2018 13:04:13(UTC)
simon73

This is a constant dilema. Just to be sure that I wasn't missing out, I did both the NEBOSH Diploma and the NVQ5 - they each have their own benefits and I felt that I would have missed out if I had done one or the other. Now in the last few months of the degree and am learning much that was not on either!

allanwood  
#15 Posted : 19 January 2018 16:17:07(UTC)
allanwood

All roads lead to Rome - or should i say CMIOSH !

It all depends on the individuals learning style as to which path you take/go down to achieve CMIOSH.

As for recruiters only looking for The NEBOSH Diploma i dont buy into that, im now into my 15th year as a health & safety professional and have changed jobs several times during that period and i have never had a problem getting interviews even though i dont have that qualification myself.

I did the NVQ Level 4 in 2003 and then several years later the NVQ Level 5 Diploma, add to this numerous other useful qualifications such as CPCS A.P.

For me the NEBOSH Diploma is not the be all and end all but neither is any of its equivalents either, as you also need other qualities to be the rounded safety profesional thats required today., such as experience, soft skills and the ability at times to be a good saleman to get the Health & Safety message across to the guys in your organisation and thats from right at the top way down to the coal face.

Good luck with whatever option you choose.

Allan

thanks 2 users thanked allanwood for this useful post.
Adam_Brown on 20/01/2018(UTC), lorna on 25/01/2018(UTC)
Angela1973  
#16 Posted : 24 January 2018 14:40:08(UTC)
Angela1973

I went downt he NVQ route having done two NEBOSH certs. And I have to say, it did me no harm whatsoever. I was already chartered when I applied for the job I am in now, but whether it was NEBOSH or NVQ or NCRQ, what got me the job were my person skills and approach to health and safety. People skills and experience go a long way too.

Good luck in whatever you choose.