Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shauncampbell  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2017 11:21:23(UTC)
shauncampbell

Good morning

Can you recommend a good online "Fire Extinguisher" training provider please, there seems to be a lot out there and I want to get a good recommeded one. Thanks Shaun

stuart46  
#2 Posted : 12 December 2017 12:40:44(UTC)
stuart46

Having undertaken and arranged fire extinguisher training on site for our fire marshals, I struggle a little to get my head around how someone could be trained in the use of fire extinguishers without some form of practical training following which they would have the confidence to tackle a real fire. Perhaps I'm missing something? 

Invictus  
#3 Posted : 12 December 2017 12:51:40(UTC)
Invictus

Article 21 (2) (a) Fire Safety Order, 'suitable and sufficient training,' not sure of what area you work in but watching it on a screen I am not sure I would class it in the same catogorie.

Messey  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2017 14:57:42(UTC)
Messey

The training requirements for any group of employees should be determined by the fire risk assessment of the premises concerned, or by the organisational's fire safety strategy as required in certain circumstances by Article 11 (Fire Safety Order).

Indeed Article 21 which refers ro Training states 

(2) The training referred to in paragraph (1) must........

(d) be provided in a manner appropriate to the risk identified by the risk assessment

In a simple premises, with few members of the public, low occupancy and low fire risk (including short travel distances, a simultaneous evacuation system, very few ignition sources and a low fire loading), I do not see why staff cannot receive fire extinguisher training via e-learning. 

We provide our staff training in a risk based manner to comply with Article 21 (d). We do not mention fire extinguishers on our e-learning, but do include a 'show and tell' face to face presentation to some staff at higher risk (such as Fire Wardens) and full hands on extinguisher training to those tasked with responding to fires (security and FM staff)