Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ChristianT1664  
#1 Posted : 17 December 2017 20:02:01(UTC)
ChristianT1664

Hello My name is Christian and I'm currently serving in the Royal Marines. I am looking at leaving and extremely interested in getting as many health and safety qualifications as possible with my resettlement grants. I have been looking into the occupational diplomas however before I go ahead I'd just like to see if anyone could give me some advice on the best possible route? I am unsure if I can go straight into the diploma (I'm awaiting an email for guidance) so I apologise if I'm jumping the gun. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Christian.
jodieclark1510  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2017 12:19:06(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Have you considered doing NEBOSH cert(s) first? I know some providers offer a package of courses which could help to give you a bit of a grounding before going into diplomas?

SNS  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2017 22:48:38(UTC)
SNS

Hi Christian,

Check through your training and resettlement office. Aldershot resettlement centre used to do the NEBOSH General Certificate  - I went through that in 2008. Then did the Diploma later when employed. Depending how much time you have there are also system courses through RAF Halton - Quality Management, Environmental etc etc. that you may be able to get onto at no cost.

Whether you go straight for the diploma is up to you, but having the certificate is baseline info to build on. There are also different ways to the same level of qualification now, NVQ or NCRQ.

If you have enough time and the management are friendly get as much as you can whilst still in. If you can get time with your unit H&S rep or site management to see what H&S is like to work in it may give you some more info.

Once out it is a completely different world in which, as a Royal Marine, you may get frustrated, I was, and still am from time to time.

Good luck with whatever path you chose.

S

Edited by user 18 December 2017 22:50:27(UTC)  | Reason: some spellin

JL  
#4 Posted : 19 December 2017 10:13:31(UTC)
JL

Christian

Best option would be to use one of your learning credits to do the combined NEBOSH Fire, General and construction, this will then give you enough grounding to move on to the diploma (you will strugle with the diploma if you dont do the smaler ones first)

This is the route I took and it served me well. 

NEBOSH certificates open some doors but the NEBOSH diploma will open most - it's hard work but well worth it in the end.

DaveBridle  
#5 Posted : 19 December 2017 10:58:08(UTC)
DaveBridle

Christian,

Since I left the RN in Sep 13 I can only advise that you use what time you have left to try and get as much insight into H&S as you can.  Any experience you can gain now will be invaluable when you reach the outside world.

Echo the comments regarding obtaining the General certificates first (Fire, Construction or National General certificate).  Without these you will not be able to get straight onto the NEBOSH Diploma as they are a pre-requisite.

The NCRQ Diploma is not registered with ELCAS so you cannot use your learning credits for that one.  I would look at also a course on internal auditing - you'll add another string to oyur bow and will be very handy in a H&S role.

If your Resettlement Office is not upto much - you can source your own courses and then get your finding sorted (I think the only provisio is that it must be a course that is a minimum of QCF 3(?) be worth checking though.

NEBOSH is the most recognised qualification at entry level whereas NVQS and Diplomas are more suitable once you are in a role where you can either produce the evidence or studying the NCRQ is relevant to you.  Without the basic qualifications the higher level stuff will be a struggle.

Best of luck with it.

One final piece of advice:  Have a plan B, C, D & E incase your ideal doesn't materialise.

sprpaul  
#6 Posted : 19 December 2017 11:03:00(UTC)
sprpaul

Hi Christian,

I used my Standard Learning Credits for IOSH Managing Safely. This course confirmed to me that it was a subject i could get in to. I then used my Enhanced Learning Credits to complete Nebosh General and Nebosh Fire Certificates. I did this through BV Associates Training 4 Forces who ran the course at RMB Chivenor.

Those 3 courses were enough to get me an entry level job. I then used my last Enhanced Learning Credit  to complete the NVQ Level 5 Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety.

If you want any advice on any of the courses please feel free to ask.

David68  
#7 Posted : 19 December 2017 13:37:55(UTC)
David68

Hi Christian,  As many of the other guys have said, I would be looking at the certificate level courses before you attempt anything at the diploma level.  The fundamentals you obtain get from these courses are the building blocks on which you will build your future career.  

As for the course provider - NEBOSH, NVQ and increasingly NCRQ are all known and all provide the level of training you want 

The very best of luck to you.  

Dave (Retd RAF) 

Bootneck997  
#8 Posted : 19 December 2017 21:52:14(UTC)
Bootneck997

Hi Chris,

I have PM'd you.

PMPT,

Al

thanks 1 user thanked Bootneck997 for this useful post.
ChristianT1664 on 22/12/2017(UTC)
frederick123  
#9 Posted : 22 December 2017 09:36:57(UTC)
frederick123

Hi Christian as already advised do your NEBOSH Certificate first , Construction  Certificate is also a good starter course to do.

Most importantly start volunteering now for a Health and Safety role in your section and get some experience under your belt. Get used to the moans and groans now , you may not like it ?

SHE Knows Ltd helped me a lot whilst I was still serving in the FAA and helped me on my way to Chartered status November 2005. But there are lots of other good trainers.  

I am now in my late sixties and still love the role. If you need any help or advice please email me petermarsh@berkeleyparks.co.uk

ChristianT1664  
#10 Posted : 22 December 2017 11:51:02(UTC)
ChristianT1664

Hello guys Thank you very much for your replies I will go speak to my education centre about what you've advised! Merry Christmas. Christian
tim69  
#11 Posted : 22 December 2017 12:12:47(UTC)
tim69

I can only agree with what others have said Royal.

Work towards getting your Diploma and Chartered status over the next few years; don't rush it. It will end up costing you money and time which is better spent on other things at this stage of your career.

PM me if you want to chat about anything specific.

jon505  
#12 Posted : 22 December 2017 13:35:38(UTC)
jon505

Hi Mate,  I agree with what everyone else has said.  In addition, make sure you take all your time allowed, use all the credits and monies you have.  Try to get some atatchments so it fills out the CV.  Also, consider getting a BIFM qualification as this opens up another avenue when you come out.  I finished up doing NEBOSH and BIFM.  That plus the Miltary experience got me my first short term contract and, once employed, you springboard into the rest.  Decide where in the country you want to be, loads of roles in London, less so in the North, which is why you need the fall back of BIFM.  Hope this helps.

hubble  
#13 Posted : 27 December 2017 14:44:14(UTC)
hubble

Slightly OT, as someone non military who works with a fair few different H&S officers, I have generally found the ex military ones to be an absolute delight to work with. But I have heard more than one say it is frustrating for them a fair bit of the time as the way things work is very different once out of the service. EG, if it is the law, then why won't people do as they are told!

Best of luck.

mikecarr  
#14 Posted : 25 January 2018 13:27:15(UTC)
mikecarr

I'm ex Australian  Infantry (12yrs). Got out and was a bit lost so decided to come to the UK and work & travel around UK/Europe and sort out my next move. Started working  Secuirty in the 5* hotel indusrty in London. By chance they wanted someone to take on H&S so I did IOSH then NEBOSH cert and have never looked back. I'm now CMIOSH and looking at doing an MSc

I didn't reliase how much I'd actully learnt  in the forces until I strated working in H&S. If you can run a live fire practice then anything esle is a doddle