Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
merkon  
#1 Posted : 28 December 2017 11:54:27(UTC)
merkon

Hello everyone, wish you a happy new year and best wishes for you and your family.

I have been accepted in both University of Portsmouth and Loughborough University for the January 2018 entry.

I still don't know which to choose to proceed with though.

Portsmouth: MSc in H&S and Environmental Management                     7,900 gbp

Loughborough: MSc in H&S Management (does not include Environmental modules)                           11,685 gbp

I know that Loughborough has a very good reputation and is in the top 10 UK Universities.

Do employers and companies really care about the reputation of the University and the degree or will it be the same whichever of these two Universities I choose to proceed with?

I have read good comments about both the Universities and I am not sure which to choose. The fees are much more in Loughborough, plus that I will have to travel to the UK to attend the taught modules and that means extra money (about extra 5.000-6.000 gbp I guess). 

Could someone write his opinion about the above courses? Which is the best option and why? Does Loughborough really worth the extra money or in the end it would be the same to study in Portsmouth?

Bigmac1  
#2 Posted : 28 December 2017 20:27:26(UTC)
Bigmac1

Hull £5200

Bigmac1  
#3 Posted : 28 December 2017 20:31:02(UTC)
Bigmac1

Hull is 100% distance learning too with no travel costs.

Oh and its in conjunction with NEBOSH

merkon  
#4 Posted : 28 December 2017 20:31:50(UTC)
merkon

And what about the reputation of the universities? Do companies look for high reputation universities or just a MSc degree?
George_Young  
#5 Posted : 29 December 2017 09:09:36(UTC)
George_Young

I've applied for the MSc Safety, Health and Environment through Greenwich Uni.

The cost is currently £9,250

merkon  
#6 Posted : 29 December 2017 09:15:12(UTC)
merkon

I know that there are also many other universities which provide a MSc degree in H&S. My concern however is only about the difference between these universities in terms of value for the employment opportunities i.e. Loughborough has a much better rating and reputation than Portsmouth=does it therefore present a more prestigious degree and so a better recognised one? -In terms of educational value and learning outcome, the level and quality of the knowledge gained -Loughborough degree doesn't have the environmental part included, can that narrow down my employment opportunities significantly? That's what I am curious to know about.
George_Young  
#7 Posted : 29 December 2017 12:35:34(UTC)
George_Young

While I can not comment on if employers will value some from studying at one university to an other.

My deciding factor was that Greenwich offers environmental, as it's now more common than not to see environmental duties added to H&S job adverts.

Originally Posted by: merkon Go to Quoted Post
I know that there are also many other universities which provide a MSc degree in H&S. My concern however is only about the difference between these universities in terms of value for the employment opportunities i.e. Loughborough has a much better rating and reputation than Portsmouth=does it therefore present a more prestigious degree and so a better recognised one? -In terms of educational value and learning outcome, the level and quality of the knowledge gained -Loughborough degree doesn't have the environmental part included, can that narrow down my employment opportunities significantly? That's what I am curious to know about.

Bigmac1  
#8 Posted : 29 December 2017 14:11:29(UTC)
Bigmac1

Hull also includes Environmental and half the price. Its a brilliant course.

Also I do not think the name of the university matters, the content and the learning matters. IMO