Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SeaGun  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2018 12:34:10(UTC)
SeaGun

Good afternoon all,

Please I would like the forum's opinion on NEBOSH Online courses, are they worth undertaking such courses ? are they value for money?, what is the pass rate for e.g. with the the National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety / or the NEBOSH National Certificate in Construction Health and Safety.

I'll appreciate your opinions/ thoughts on this.

Many thanks

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2018 14:28:48(UTC)
George_Young

I studied Nebosh General Cert through distant learning using RRC, it was worth undertaking for me as I was stepping up from IOSH Managing Safely.

I also Studied the NCRQ route, (Full Diploma) the first unit (certificate in applied health and safety) of the diploma is basically an eqivalnet to the NEBOSH general Cert, but sits at a level 6 instead of a level 3 like the NEBOSH.

If I had a choice knowing what I know more I would of went the NCRQ route as I found it much more engaging and I felt I learnt more from the NCRQ certificate in applied health and safety, this was mainly due to no exams, instead it used assignments.

If you decide to go for the NEBOSH route, RRC tend to do offers this time of year, 

I have studied 2 courses with RRC and currently studying my third right now

Regards

George

thanks 1 user thanked George_Young for this useful post.
SeaGun on 02/01/2018(UTC)
SeaGun  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2018 16:06:05(UTC)
SeaGun

Thank you very much for your response George, I deccided last month to change career from a DC to H & S and was advised as a first step to undertake the CITB SMSTS course which i did & passed late December ( and i thoroughly enjoyed it).

It was on this basis that I researched further qualifications and decided to go down the NEBOSH route. From your post, it seems you prefer the NCRQ route, please advise.

Many thanks
jodieclark1510  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2018 16:12:20(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Have you considered a blended learning course? I did this for my Diploma with RRC, where you have time for each unit in the classroom with  a mix of online learning too. I did this with RRC. I think with online learning it can be great if you like that style of learning. Personally I prefer classrrom learning because of how I learn and hold information. I did my General and fire certs through classroom learning with CRS Risk, plus an IOSH Auditing course.

George_Young  
#5 Posted : 02 January 2018 16:48:05(UTC)
George_Young

PM Sent

Originally Posted by: SeaGun Go to Quoted Post
Thank you very much for your response George, I deccided last month to change career from a DC to H & S and was advised as a first step to undertake the CITB SMSTS course which i did & passed late December ( and i thoroughly enjoyed it).

It was on this basis that I researched further qualifications and decided to go down the NEBOSH route. From your post, it seems you prefer the NCRQ route, please advise.

Many thanks

September  
#6 Posted : 06 January 2018 16:11:33(UTC)
September

Has anyone had any experience of SHEields online for Nebosh courses. They don't seem to want to issue any sample materials.
Bigmac1  
#7 Posted : 07 January 2018 10:25:12(UTC)
Bigmac1

If your new to H&S I would go for a classroom. In my opinion the chances of passing are boosted, you cant beat bouncing off others and being able to ask questions. Some providers offer courses on Saturdays.

September  
#8 Posted : 07 January 2018 20:12:51(UTC)
September

Thanks Bigmac1, I took my NGC1/2 via the clasroom route and am looking at doing another Nebosh course but via online learning so wanted to find out what if anyone has used this provider for online learning.

WatsonD  
#9 Posted : 09 January 2018 08:32:21(UTC)
WatsonD

With the online course all you really get access to is a textbook to read, along with some questions to answer.

If you got a teaxt book & revision guide and worked long with the course syllabus you could get the same by just registering for the exam.

simon73  
#10 Posted : 09 January 2018 09:40:25(UTC)
simon73

Originally Posted by: WatsonD Go to Quoted Post

With the online course all you really get access to is a textbook to read, along with some questions to answer.

If you got a teaxt book & revision guide and worked long with the course syllabus you could get the same by just registering for the exam.

I agree, I have recently passed the NEBOSH fire this way. Just studied the textbook and the FSO and registered for the exam. 

September  
#11 Posted : 12 January 2018 00:23:41(UTC)
September

Thanks WatsonD and simon73. I may well follow your advice and get the textbooks and use the syllabus for support, at least I can study over a longer period of time if I do the self-study route, rather than cramming and the information not really staying in my head.

KEITH ROWSON  
#12 Posted : 13 January 2018 19:25:17(UTC)
KEITH ROWSON

Hi Seagun and September, I studied with Sheilds distance learning for my NEBOSH Diploma. I already had my NEBOSH General, Fire, and Construction so had some knowledge. The Sheilds course I found to be excellent, and people are right you do get only course material to read through, however you have direct access to a dedicated on line tutor, and they always get back to you promptly. I passed unit A in the January and B&C in the July three exams after nine months.In hindsight and If I am honest I would take one at a time as it is very heavy going and I had to travel to Hull to sit them. Unit D which is an assignment I found the most arduous but passed it only just.
The beauty about distance learning is it is at your pace and whenever you want to do it, the downside is you have no classmates to bounce off. The tutors at Sheilds are superb and one in particular Will Taylor who is so good at explaining and if you don't get it at first he keeps going until you do. Another big plus of distance learning is obviously the cost of the course.
The reason I gave a bit of background knowledge on myself is, if you're doing the Diploma it would be difficult if your knowledge is limited. Hope this helps.
September  
#13 Posted : 14 January 2018 13:09:15(UTC)
September

Thanks for the feedback Keith.

CSteel  
#14 Posted : 29 January 2018 16:50:06(UTC)
CSteel

Originally Posted by: KEITH ROWSON Go to Quoted Post
Hi Seagun and September, I studied with Sheilds distance learning for my NEBOSH Diploma. I already had my NEBOSH General, Fire, and Construction so had some knowledge. The Sheilds course I found to be excellent, and people are right you do get only course material to read through, however you have direct access to a dedicated on line tutor, and they always get back to you promptly. I passed unit A in the January and B&C in the July three exams after nine months.In hindsight and If I am honest I would take one at a time as it is very heavy going and I had to travel to Hull to sit them. Unit D which is an assignment I found the most arduous but passed it only just.
The beauty about distance learning is it is at your pace and whenever you want to do it, the downside is you have no classmates to bounce off. The tutors at Sheilds are superb and one in particular Will Taylor who is so good at explaining and if you don't get it at first he keeps going until you do. Another big plus of distance learning is obviously the cost of the course.
The reason I gave a bit of background knowledge on myself is, if you're doing the Diploma it would be difficult if your knowledge is limited. Hope this helps.

I am also starting out studying  an IDIP NEBOSH with SHEilds. So far, I am finding the study with them a bit distant (no idea who my tutor is) but I am not placing a great emphasis on the course yet as I am finishing a BSc with the Open University. I do have to say though, the corse administrator was very attentive and really helped me to get set up and studying once enrolment was finalised.

The hard work for the idip will begin at the end of June.