Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Matthew.herbert  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2017 15:33:07(UTC)
Matthew.herbert

Hi All,

I'd like to hear from anyone, which I am sure there are plenty, who has completed their NEBOSH Dip. I have recently started mine, starting on Unit C. I have undertaken my first week and have 3 weeks until my next full week in the classroom.

What kind of revision time did you allocate yourself? As with many people I have a family (2 year old) so he gets fed, bathed and then I plan on doing at least an hour a day during mid week and then a few more hours over the weekend, perhaps 2 - 3.

My background is Safety and Environment in heavy industry, and now Safety Advisor in the rail industry. I have passed my NEBOSH CG a few years ago and passed well with a distinction but the Dip is a whole new beast! 

Any pointers from your previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by user 20 November 2017 15:33:49(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling mistake

georgiaredmayne  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2017 18:53:03(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

Hi Matthew, I have recently passed all exams (just). I allocated around an hour every night but didn’t necessarily have the time to do it every night. What really helped me was after each revision day writing revision cards as to what content you covered in the classroom and picking out key points etc.
DHeptinstall  
#3 Posted : 21 November 2017 10:48:26(UTC)
DHeptinstall

I have also recently passed.... I found that attempting to study for two exams at the same time (e.g. B & C, as recommended by my course provider) is a bad idea.

When revising, I did around 3 hours every evening (except Fridays), with 6-8 hours on Saturday and Sunday. The syllabus is essential to refer to, as it outlines everything you need to have knowledge on. Past papers, examiners reports and the RRC books were great to practice example questions on.

I also found that carrying out "open-book" practice papers were a big help, as you can read through all your info and write the 'perfect' answer. After you've done a few of these, move on to doing them without any resources.

Best of luck!

perryar  
#4 Posted : 23 November 2017 17:05:04(UTC)
perryar

I suppose it depends on your learning style and how well you retain knowledge. As above, I did mine distance learning through RRC (one exam ata time a must for me), hour or two a day (few times a week) in the few months leading up to the exam. In the 2/3 weeks prior to the exam it was pretty much 2/3 hours a night and a few hours Saturday & Sunday. I didnt have a child at the time (thankfully) as It consumed my life in the 2/3 weeks prior to the exam.

I'm one of those learners that has to read things several times before I retain it and the Diploma is a lot of information to retain.

All the best, Adrian

Bigmac1  
#5 Posted : 26 November 2017 13:46:18(UTC)
Bigmac1

Mathew it is like anything else, the more you put in the more you get out, there is no minimum amount of time but your course work tells you what they mean by minimum.

In the end I was doing every spare minute, just dont overload yourself, stop when your head hurts and do something else. Some people just want to do enough to pass, in my opinion thats when you fail.

Work harder on the topics that your least comfortable with

Good luck

Gerry1987  
#6 Posted : 27 November 2017 22:15:34(UTC)
Gerry1987

I feel your pain, time is the real challenge
joeyfranco030486  
#7 Posted : 11 December 2017 18:56:26(UTC)
joeyfranco030486

Hi Matthew, 

Feel your pain!

I'm also studying for NDIP, I started in September and I'm about a third the way through Unit A. I'm currently putting in approx 1-2 per evening during the week, and 2-4 hours over the weekends (more when I can manage it). I have to read, read and re-read course content before it goes in! I noted a post on here which suggested open book questions, which I have found really helpful along with mind mapping. 

I have a study group setup on FB with which has a few (12 I think now) learners, all going through the same course - obviously the pace and commitment to the course varies from learner to learner due to their comitments at home and at work but let me know if you would like me to add you. I always find that points that I'm struggling with are better absorbed when I can thrash it out with someone else. 

Best of luck, and feel free to drop me a line to disucss any points/topics.

Joey

gbagri  
#8 Posted : 19 December 2017 16:44:15(UTC)
gbagri

I feel your pain too! Its hard work, especially with children running around. Well done for doing it. For exam prep I committed to 1 hour every couple of nights knowing that every evening just wasnt going to happen after bedtime routine etc. I spent a lot of time going through previous papers which helped considerably more than reading the text book over and over again... Good luck!

Timms74  
#9 Posted : 30 December 2017 13:42:50(UTC)
Timms74

Like yourself, I studied my NEBOSH Diploma with two young children and a full-time job, it was the most demanding thing I have ever taken on. In terms of study, I would typically do approximately 2 - 2.5 hours weekdays and 5 hours weekends. Unit D I really struggled with, studying for this was approximately 4 hours weekdays and studying 8 hours on any day off from work and weekends. The end result feeling when you do pass is pretty incredible.

DColhoun  
#10 Posted : 02 January 2018 12:10:42(UTC)
DColhoun

Hi Matthew,

Similar to you and others I am married with two young children and had to be honest with myself that I will have good weeks and bad in terms of study. I try to get at least 90 mins in Tuesday to Friday and 3 hours on Saturday and Sunday. I take a Monday off to zone out which incidently is my busiest day at work.

I started studying my NEBOSH Dip but I decided to tackle Unit A first exam in 2 weeks time! To get the most our of studying I find that doing a short puzzle ot two before to get the brain engaged to ensure I get the best our of my allocated time. How many times have you started studying and taking 20-30 mins to get into the flow!?

Each of us will have different learning abilities and the ability to process and abosrb key topics. The course tutor for my RRC Course provided some guidance on studying for unit A which was around 15 hours a week! I have only being managing 12 hrs but I recognise this is my limit both on time and efficiency. 

Past papers are excellent if you can get them as they really focus on the major topics and give you an idea about the questions which examiners like. 

Good luck with the study.

damian2701  
#11 Posted : 02 January 2018 22:37:20(UTC)
damian2701

I highly recommend googling SQ3R as a form of revision aid to help lock info into your long term memory. May work for some but not all.
KEITH ROWSON  
#12 Posted : 13 January 2018 19:41:37(UTC)
KEITH ROWSON

Hi Mathew, past papers are a must once you have digested the syllabus. I studied every night for about three hours it is very hard and time consuming. I would only take one unit at a time, I took unit A on its own and it was really good, I then took Unit B&C together and although the results were once again really good it was far more difficult and yet the content is not as difficult as unit A. It was simply too much to take in. Do one unit at a time it is more enjoyable and less stressful.
RyanB1992  
#13 Posted : 16 January 2018 20:19:16(UTC)
RyanB1992

Hi All,

Does anyone have any past exam papers they would kindly share?

Thanks

WatsonD  
#14 Posted : 17 January 2018 08:58:30(UTC)
WatsonD

Originally Posted by: RyanB1992 Go to Quoted Post

Hi All,

Does anyone have any past exam papers they would kindly share?

Thanks

Nebosh used to publish these, but have discontinued the practice. And they did so a while before the new syllabus, so any old exam papers rattling around out there would be unsuitable for you. They do, however, publish examiners reports, and the syllabus hasa mock exam at the end. They can both be found here: https://www.nebosh.org.u...t.asp?cref=1044&ct=2