Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stuart46  
#1 Posted : 30 January 2018 15:57:28(UTC)
stuart46

Hi all,

Not having had much experience with CDM thus far, would a metal/glass/wooden room on a mezzanine inside an existing building fall under CDM? 7 metres x 5 metres housing testing equipment in an educational facility owned and used by a 3rd party. They would be the client and we would be principal contractor.

Any advice gratefully received.

Ian Bell2  
#2 Posted : 01 February 2018 09:28:54(UTC)
Ian Bell2

You have posted your question in the wrong forum area. I assume you mean you are having the described room built/constructed? While you haven't given too much information - yes CDM will apply. CDM and the definition of 'construction' is very broad. You will also need a Principal Designer appointing by the client. Give me a call if you want any help with that. From the information, your project doesn't sound like it will be modifiable to the HSE.
stuart46  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2018 10:00:31(UTC)
stuart46

Ah, yes. My mistake (obviously). Thanks Ian. We might actually be building it for someone else via 3rd party supplier if that makes any difference.

Ian Bell2  
#4 Posted : 01 February 2018 10:22:51(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Ok. Nevertheless, whoever is the Client under CDM is obliged to appoint both a Principal Designer and Principal Contractor. Previously auto correct error 'notifiable' to the HSE. Possibly interested in the PD bit.
peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 01 February 2018 12:58:18(UTC)
peter gotch

Unlikely to be notifiable and if only one contractor required then would not need a Principal Designer and Principal Contractor, though similar documentation needed to comply with other legislative requirements. Suggest download L153 from HSE website.

To a large extent this is all going to hand around whether you have all the trades in house to do the full installation including services.

stuart46  
#6 Posted : 01 February 2018 13:13:39(UTC)
stuart46

One contractor working on our behalf in 3rd party building.

Ian Bell2  
#7 Posted : 01 February 2018 13:41:22(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Very true about the PD/single contractor issue. In my experience very few projects are truly single contractor, only very small glorified in house maintenance jobs that I have seen. Even a small job like this sounds like it will need Electrical IT fitment of cables etc as it's a training room Floor/carpet fitters Glass fitters/someone to erect the walls. If all in house, ok.