Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stephenl1985  
#1 Posted : 30 January 2018 19:32:10(UTC)
Stephenl1985

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some advice, or to be pointed in the right direction.  I am awaiting results of my NGC1,2 & 3 exams.  I have a keen interest in H&S auditing, I would be interested in starting an external auditing company, offering H&S audits/inspections of workplaces.  How would I go about this and what qualifications would I need to hold to pursue this career path?

Many thanks

Stephen. 

smurphy84  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2018 08:34:44(UTC)
smurphy84

Do you have existing H&S experience? If you are new to the industry I would say you need real exposure and on the job learning. You would learn more working than you have undertaking the NEBOSH cert.

Clark34486  
#3 Posted : 31 January 2018 10:04:41(UTC)
Clark34486

I'm currently a SHE Assurance Manager, I have lead auditor (CSPA & LRQA H&S Lead Auditor), I agree with the previous poster, without industry experience it's almost impossible to audit proficiently UNLESS it's a system audit to ascertain compliance to the clauses of a standard; 14001, 9001 (annex SL) etc.

I speak only for my self but from a fairly long background in auditing....but my advice would be to NOT commit to a future of auditing alone, it's soooo boring eventually.

Yes auditing is an absolute must-have skill for a SHE practitioner but to only audit? no chance!

I am leaving my current role after just 8 months (yes it's my own fault before I'm brought-to-book regarding my choice)

Edited by user 31 January 2018 10:05:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Clark34486 for this useful post.
Stephenl1985 on 03/02/2018(UTC)
SpaceNinja  
#4 Posted : 31 January 2018 12:30:56(UTC)
SpaceNinja

I started a H&S auditing company a few years back (we do a few other things as well, not just H&S auditing).

I'd probably recommend you learn the ropes whilst on someone else's payroll!! I had spent a few years working for a larger company before I ventured off on my own - this gave me a bit of insight into how everything works, increased my professional network and they took me on as a sub-contractor when I left, meaning I had a steady stream of income whilst I built up my own client base. Working for someone else also allows you to do a bit of prep so you can hit the ground running when you do go start up on your own - you can get your website developed, pull together some marketing materials, etc.

thanks 1 user thanked SpaceNinja for this useful post.
Stephenl1985 on 03/02/2018(UTC)
Stephenl1985  
#5 Posted : 03 February 2018 09:20:03(UTC)
Stephenl1985

Thanks for the reply guys.

I am new to H&S, the only experience I have is that I have done a handful of safety tours and am a member of the H&S committee at work.  I have been actively looking for a H&S role but it seems everyone wants experience.

JohnW  
#6 Posted : 03 February 2018 17:34:27(UTC)
JohnW

Stephen, I’m in agreement with others above, and can’t see auditing alone being sufficient for a sole-trader consultant. I have 10 years experience now advising SME’s, successful In terms of experience gained, and income, though the last twelve months have been very lean, and I am only able to continue as I have pension income. I do a lot of ‘auditing’ when I first inspect new customers, but as a consultant this is followed up by helping managers with risk assessments, COSHH and safety policy, and training which is mainly Toolox Talks on engineering and construction topics, and transport management. Occasionally this gets as far as helping achieve accreditation for CHAS or OHSAS 18001. All that, but lucky if I get 2 days a week employment! John

Edited by user 03 February 2018 17:37:31(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling

SpaceNinja  
#7 Posted : 04 February 2018 14:32:43(UTC)
SpaceNinja

It is tough when you're first starting out - getting that first foot in the door does seem impossible. When I first started out I approached 150 organisations, got 5 responses which resulted in 3 interviews from which I got my first job in compliance. However, I know it has got even tougher since then!! I don't know if it would help, but drop me a PM with your email - I can have a look through your CV and see if I can offer any tips?