Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Leone37  
#1 Posted : 07 January 2018 14:08:33(UTC)
Leone37

Absolutely gutted that I failed my unit DNI in November and now i need to re-submit in february. Even though I recieved the feedback from NEBOSH i'm still at a loss as to where I went wrong; I followed the guidance but feel it is so generic compared with the old syllabus. I even had some H&S colleagues, some that have been in the industry for a long time proof read it and thought it was good.

Has anyone else had to re-submit or can offer me some words of wisdom to help muster my enthusiasm to do it all again; do I start from scratch or just try and change my original?

My 3 improvements were workplace transport, compliance and worker consultation & communication - do I need more technical ones maybe??

Any advice appreciated

Liz Willoughby  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2018 15:04:52(UTC)
Liz Willoughby

Sorry - I can't give any advice just yet as am waiting for my results too (re-submission).

Out of curiosity, when did you get your results?

Leone37  
#3 Posted : 13 January 2018 16:07:48(UTC)
Leone37

They were sent out 01 August 2017 for the May Submission

Good luckk for yours

rick448  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2018 16:24:02(UTC)
rick448

I am just about to start my DNI, and during our brief by our tutor it appeared that many of the failures were due to a descriptive report, rather than relating the critical analysis to relevant guidance or legislation. That was pushed quite firmly, that if you do not cite the relevant guidance etc, and relate the weakeness to the areas which require improvement, then points will not be given.

I am not sure if this is something you did or not, but it could have been part of the problem. I believe this is one of the changes in the new format. 

Good luck!

georgiaredmayne  
#5 Posted : 09 February 2018 16:51:38(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

I have just received my UNIT DNI results back and I got a 48 - 2 marks away!
Debating on submitting an EAR again as last time they marked me up by 8% on my Unit A exam but as it’s an assignment I think it’s probably just easier to look at it again. I will take on the advice about stating the relevant guidance etc. I know I referred back but perhaps not in enough depth!

Anyone actually get a decent mark?
Shopland23872  
#6 Posted : 09 February 2018 20:20:36(UTC)
Shopland23872

If it is an issue with critical reporting as someone stated above. Be careful not to confuse critical with criticise. This is where alot of people go wrong. At masters level, this actually gets explained quite clearly. Critical reports require positive and negative reporting on for example section 37 of HSWA, where interpretation of the tests required has good points and bad points. Research case law and use one where a conviction was made and then overturned by the appeal court, this gives you an idea of how to be critical as opposed to criticising. NEBOSH are very strict on you understanding their trigger words, such as discuss, or describe.
georgiaredmayne  
#7 Posted : 26 February 2018 14:21:38(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

Thanks Shopland although I did critically analyse the H&S arrangements of my previous company against recognised standards, guidance, ACOP's and statutory obligations - I didn't just criticise so I am really struggling here. They do not use the describe and discuss function on the Unit DNI assignment.  

Like you Leone, I failed miserably on the improvement section of the assignment scoring 3/10 on my first improvement and 4/10 on my other two. Although I am really stuck on where I am going wrong. I reviewed the guidance notes against my improvements and I have included everything that they have asked and I feel as though my improvements are justified and proportianate.

My improvements were: Electrical Safety, Control of Contractors and Risk profile....

Has anyone else recently recieved results back on Unit DNI from NEBOSH? It would be interesting to know what their pass ratio is on it and what they are giving examiners to go by...... 

Alex2017  
#8 Posted : 21 April 2018 13:01:00(UTC)
Alex2017

my advice is follow the feed back from examiner then discuss with your instructor to deine a way forward