Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mbson  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2017 04:11:56(UTC)
Mbson

Dear respected member i planning to join the MSc in Occupational health, safety and environment management .I already completed my nebosh international diploma. It will be helpful for me to hear some course advice and other information regarding master programme.really looking forward to hearing dear members.thanks
Mr Curious  
#2 Posted : 13 March 2017 10:38:52(UTC)
Mr Curious

I do not understand why you want to undertake an MSc since you have a NEBOSH diploma. I would only do that if I had a NEBOSH certificate. I believe the diploma and MSc are equivalent when it comes to membership with IOSH.

The Diploma is an EQF 6 and the MSc is an EQF 7.

Edited by user 13 March 2017 10:39:30(UTC)  | Reason: Grammar

WatsonD  
#3 Posted : 13 March 2017 10:49:48(UTC)
WatsonD

Sorry Mr Curious I have to disagree. I think the diploma is equivalent of a BSc. An MSc of MRes are the nextstep. Even Nebosh advertise it this way: https://www.nebosh.org.u...t.asp?cref=1220&ct=2

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
Mbson on 13/03/2017(UTC)
JayPownall  
#4 Posted : 13 March 2017 11:25:20(UTC)
JayPownall

NEBOSH Diploma is Level 6 (Same as a BSc) and an MSc or equivalent is a Level 7 Qualification (based on the RQF Framework).

Jamie

hannahbilson  
#5 Posted : 13 March 2017 11:44:27(UTC)
hannahbilson

Well, i think you are going in right direction. I think that we must learn everything whether you have a dominent degree because you surely will get some knowledge from it which can be very useful for you.

thanks 1 user thanked hannahbilson for this useful post.
Mbson on 13/03/2017(UTC)
Karim Ali  
#6 Posted : 13 March 2017 11:56:34(UTC)
Karim Ali

https://www.nebosh.org.u...efault.asp?cref=813&ct=2 I'm currently doing the master's of research with the University of Hull - very informative so far for me.
thanks 1 user thanked Karim Ali for this useful post.
Mbson on 13/03/2017(UTC)
piobaire  
#7 Posted : 13 March 2017 16:03:14(UTC)
piobaire

I did my MSc in Health, Safety and Environmental Management through Woodland Grange.  The entry qualification to this course is the NEBOSH Diploma and you already have that.  I took that course as I was in employment and it was not a full time course, however, don't understimate the time needed to be successful.  This course was flexible but required attendance for 6 weeks in total, the majority of the work being done in your own time.  Have a look on their web site https://www.eef.org.uk/training/health-and-safety/eef-oxford-brookes-university-msc-pgdip

Hope this is useful. 

thanks 1 user thanked piobaire for this useful post.
Mbson on 13/03/2017(UTC)
Mr Curious  
#8 Posted : 13 March 2017 16:28:37(UTC)
Mr Curious

Originally Posted by: WatsonD Go to Quoted Post

Sorry Mr Curious I have to disagree. I think the diploma is equivalent of a BSc. An MSc of MRes are the nextstep. Even Nebosh advertise it this way: https://www.nebosh.org.u...t.asp?cref=1220&ct=2

Watson,

You are correct, however, this information was already included in my post. That's what "The Diploma is an EQF 6 and the MSc is an EQF 7" means. 

My point was that both the NEBOSH diploma and an accredited MSc give access to GradIOSH membership.

Furthermore, I did my MSc in HSE without a NEBOSH Diploma or general certificate, so that's just an advertisment from NEBOSH as they obviously cooperate witht the University of Hull. There are other programmes/routes out there. You just have to look for a structure that best fits your needs/expectations.

Edited by user 13 March 2017 16:29:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Mr Curious for this useful post.
JayPownall on 13/03/2017(UTC), Mbson on 13/03/2017(UTC)
Mbson  
#9 Posted : 13 March 2017 19:07:52(UTC)
Mbson

Thank you very much all beautiful souls.
WatsonD  
#10 Posted : 14 March 2017 08:33:11(UTC)
WatsonD

Originally Posted by: Mr Curious Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: WatsonD Go to Quoted Post

Watson,

You are correct, however, this information was already included in my post. That's what "The Diploma is an EQF 6 and the MSc is an EQF 7" means. 

My point was that both the NEBOSH diploma and an accredited MSc give access to GradIOSH membership.

Furthermore, I did my MSc in HSE without a NEBOSH Diploma or general certificate, so that's just an advertisment from NEBOSH as they obviously cooperate witht the University of Hull. There are other programmes/routes out there. You just have to look for a structure that best fits your needs/expectations.

Mr Curious,

I know what it means. It was the point that an MSc was not worth undertaking as the OP already holds a Nebosh Diploma that I disagreed with. You stated:  "I do not understand why you want to undertake an MSc since you have a NEBOSH diploma."

Not improving your membership grade with IOSH doesn't make a qualification meaningless, otherwise why bother with CPD. MSc or MRes are advanced degrees, normally (but not always) taken after the first degree to further ones study.

I added the link to emphasise this point, not to promote Nebosh or Hull University either, but I think you know this full well.

Bigmac1  
#11 Posted : 15 March 2017 19:39:04(UTC)
Bigmac1

In repsonse to the first question, I would recommend doing the MSc, I am also doing this through Hull University. NEBOSH Dip in the bag you might want to just rest on your laurels thats fair enough. But I have learnt so much to date doing the MSc (And we havnt touched on H&S yet). Am I pleased to have started? You bet!

With Hull its fully distant learning, so no time off work required with full support.

thanks 1 user thanked Bigmac1 for this useful post.
Mbson on 15/03/2017(UTC)
Carol B  
#12 Posted : 16 March 2017 13:02:26(UTC)
Carol B

I am also doing the MSc with Hull Uni.  Be prepared for a lot of work, I underestimated the amount of time I would need to give, but it is really satisfying and oddly enjoyable.  I would recommned to anyone who wants to go a bit further than the Diploma (or other qualification)

thanks 1 user thanked Carol B for this useful post.
Mbson on 17/03/2017(UTC)
Mbson  
#13 Posted : 17 March 2017 23:15:12(UTC)
Mbson

Thank you Carol B.
ologgka  
#14 Posted : 27 January 2018 12:08:35(UTC)
ologgka

Originally Posted by: Carol B Go to Quoted Post

I am also doing the MSc with Hull Uni.  Be prepared for a lot of work, I underestimated the amount of time I would need to give, but it is really satisfying and oddly enjoyable.  I would recommned to anyone who wants to go a bit further than the Diploma (or other qualification)

I am thinking about applying, but I have concerns about time, being fully employed and a mom of a toddler at the same time. Could you please tell a bit more about how much time it actually takes? Thank you! 

Carol B  
#15 Posted : 29 January 2018 13:33:09(UTC)
Carol B

Ologgka

I can only speak from personal experience, but apart from the month break in between each term, I have worked on this pretty much every evening and weekend for the last 18 months, sometimes only an hour or two, but when deadline looms its been full weekends.  The end is now in sight (July), and however much I have enjoyed the course, I will be glad to get some time back for myself.  My children have left home and the husband pretty self sufficient so I don't have the same ties as you.  Could I do this with a toddler, honestly - no.  Only you know your personal circumstances, and it very much depends on your support networks, but I would enjoy the time with your toddler while you can, you can do an MSc at anytime.

Thomas B  
#16 Posted : 06 February 2018 15:37:26(UTC)
Thomas B

Hi 

I am in the last 5 months of my MSc with Loughborough University and I too have two small children (2 and 6) and work full time but I have found it managable. However, like others have mentioned it is hard work and takes committment. 

That being said, depending on the differences of the Hull University and Loughborough MSc courses, my advice would be start straight away, use your supervisor throughout and pick subjects that interest you for the projects. Do this and you will be absolutely fine.

The Univsersity want you to pass and will support you through it! 

I was slow off the mark starting my final project which has not helped (do as I say not as I do and all that!!) but I have cracked on over the last couple of months and I am on target to finish.

I hope this helps.

Thomas 

toe  
#17 Posted : 15 February 2018 20:52:59(UTC)
toe

Originally Posted by: Bigmac1 Go to Quoted Post

In repsonse to the first question, I would recommend doing the MSc, I am also doing this through Hull University. NEBOSH Dip in the bag...

Here, Here, I had NEBOSH Dip, CMIOSH and went on to complete MSc and thinking of PHD.

Having completed both Dip and MSc I have to agree with Watson (in previous posts) they are certinaly at different levels.