Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
elevation  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2012 16:14:05(UTC)
elevation

Firstly, congratulations to all those that have successfully passed the March 2012 Open Assessment Despite passing all previous examinations, NEBOSH GEN (credit) and NVQ4, I was really frustrated to learn that I had failed my assessment. Perhaps some users could explain or give an insight in to one or two things: I scored 46%, which I was shocked at (mortified was the word), but was then informed I had missed out by 4% with the pass rate set at 50%. Incidentally, the highest mark, according to membership on friday last week, was 63%. Why such a low pass rate? Why such low scoring for passing? If there is an appeals process (still awaiting my result letter with supporting info) is it worthwhile or is it best to take it on the chin, pay another £100 or so and have another crack? I put a great deal of work into my assessment and thoroughly reviewed my answers. Not too sure what else I could have done, but there may well lie the answer! Thanks everyone!
Edward Braisher  
#2 Posted : 18 June 2012 16:51:51(UTC)
Edward Braisher

Like you I rang IOSH this morning and was disappointed to find out that I only got 48% and have been deflated at work ever since then (although my boss and immediate colleagues are supporting me going forward) Like you I spent a great deal of time doing the questions, had attended the workshop at IOSH HQ in Feb to get a feel of the questions and the way to answer them and had even redone questions because when I re-read them I had misunderstood them I did not realise the pass rate was that low - perhaps if there was such a low pass rate, then that needs looking to. I am considering a remark because of the finite score between my result and the pass mark but am also considering whether it is worth paying money going forward (having worked in Health and Safety for 13 years) - does having it affect my ability to do my job having done many different H&S jobs without the need for it.
Lucy M  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2012 12:00:01(UTC)
Lucy M

Hi everyone Just to clarify a few of the points posted above with regards to the March 2012 paper. The highest mark achieved by one of the candidates was 83% The required mark to pass (pass mark) was 50% The percentage of individuals who passed (pass rate) were 63% - this includes non-submissions. As the paper is out of more than 100 marks, multiple marks are needed to adjust one percentage point. All papers that receive 48% or 49% are automatically remarked. With regards to the best way forward, the first thing to do would be to receive and review your feedback. The enclosed letter also outlines possible steps. If you wish to discuss further, please feel free to contact us on membership@iosh.co.uk or +44 (0) 116 257 3198. Kind regards Lucy Mott Membership Team Leader

Edited by user 19 June 2012 12:28:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lawlee45239  
#4 Posted : 19 June 2012 13:06:59(UTC)
Lawlee45239

Sorry to hear about that guys. and i'm sure it doesnt reflect your H&S ability. I do hope the matter gets sorted and that there has been an error in marking. Head up either way. I am due to start doing all this, and I am wondering if its worth my while?
Owen24  
#5 Posted : 19 June 2012 13:48:04(UTC)
Owen24

Same as above, sorry to hear about your results, only advice I can give is don't give up, both of you were so close to passing and good luck for the next one. Lawlee, becoming Chartered is defiantly worthwhile within the safety world, the open assessment isn't easy but i found i learnt about things i didn't know about which have helped me in my workplace, Good luck to you. Regards
elevation  
#6 Posted : 19 June 2012 14:01:56(UTC)
elevation

Thanks for the clarification and kind messages.. Edward, gutted for you mate, it's really harsh, particularly by 1%. I am still to recieve my letter and supporting material, so still in the dark as to where it has gone wrong. Re other postings, I have had Grad IOSH now for 15 months...not one job interview has arrived despite plenty of applications. All have said how impressive my CV is but I can assure you, the title, whether that be CMIOSH or Grad IOSH gives no automatic right to job success. Best wishes for the future Edward!
Darren platts  
#7 Posted : 20 June 2012 06:52:10(UTC)
Darren platts

i think you have been passed the wrong info with regard to the highest mark, mine is not high but i achieved a pass of 69%
Darren platts  
#8 Posted : 20 June 2012 07:23:20(UTC)
Darren platts

I must give my appologise as i did not read a number of the posts. Firstly I am sorry to hear about your results and would like to say that I certainly sypathise with you. Missing out by 4% and even 2% is not nice to find out especially when we all put our heart and soul into completing the assessment. I would say that it may be worthwhile going through the appeals process as i have heard of persons receiving the extra required to pass after the review. Good luck and i sincerely hope that it becomes positive.
Gary Briggs  
#9 Posted : 20 June 2012 11:09:51(UTC)
Gary Briggs

All as much as you feel depressed regarding the results the elation you will feel when you do pass the open examination is a tremendous buzz so stick with it. Regards Gary
DP  
#10 Posted : 20 June 2012 11:11:16(UTC)
DP

Its not a pleasant experience getting the letter informing you have not passed - dust yourself down and get back in there and do it again. A member of my team is taking the NVQ route to CMIOSH and has experienced the same - he too failed these exams and indeed intends to re-sit them. So I understand how you feel right now. He is a very competent safety manager who excels in all areas of his role but does not like exams. What is interesting here from a personal opinion - all the debates that have been had on here about academic vs vocational qualifications - I trust that any perspective employer now understands that there is a large piece of academic work to be undertaken for the ones who have chosen the vocational route to CMIOSH.
Victor Meldrew  
#11 Posted : 20 June 2012 11:32:54(UTC)
Victor Meldrew

Heard today that NEBOSH are taking over the marking - not sure if this information is totally reliable and how soon the change, if there is one, will become effective, but may result in an improvement.
MichaelMorrisroe  
#12 Posted : 20 June 2012 12:52:20(UTC)
MichaelMorrisroe

I think you'll find NEBOSH mark them now. I am sure they have some involvement. Although I have pased, I have failed exams in the past. I saw it as a challenge and a learning curve, not a slant on my ability to do my job. Crack on and all will come good in the end. Keep the faith and stay safe
elevation  
#13 Posted : 20 June 2012 20:31:34(UTC)
elevation

Hi everyone, Well my letter has landed and I have to say that I am hugely dissapointed with the marking and feedback. For example a weak answer mark is given but the feedback states "overall the question was answered well" No good mark, no satisfactory mark but a weak mark? After 13 years in safety, allegedly I do not know what a residual risk is nor do I know what an investigation into a fork lift truck accident should look like or what it should look for. What does astound me is that you pay the money but they do not provide you with your submitted papers with the feedback on and what you have been marked on? I am not aware of what questions I have got right or wrong only what questions, in total, where answered weakly. Of course, If I wish to appeal it will cost me a further £60 for someone to mark it again. Even Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask!!!
Brian Hagyard  
#14 Posted : 21 June 2012 09:05:49(UTC)
Brian Hagyard

Elevation Sorry to here about your result - I have been there myself and got the tea shirt as they say so I know how you feel. It can be very demoralising but keep going and don't give up. As for appealing the decision I remember many years ago when I was taking my NEBOSH diploma the general advice was don't appeal if you are within a few marks of passing. This is because these papers will already have been moderated - this has been confirmed in a previous post above. Different exams "bodies" differ in giving feed back. In my experience NEBOSH was 1 of the worst - but I am talking about 15/20 years ago so they may have improved. Have you approached your local IOSH branch? Some offer fantastic mentoring services which may help you. Don't give up and good luck in the future
Jake  
#15 Posted : 21 June 2012 10:42:51(UTC)
Jake

Re the percentage required for a pass, to put it into perspective most university degree courses operate a 40% pass rate (for a 3rd).
DP wrote:
What is interesting here from a personal opinion - all the debates that have been had on here about academic vs vocational qualifications - I trust that any perspective employer now understands that there is a large piece of academic work to be undertaken for the ones who have chosen the vocational route to CMIOSH.
Couldn't resist a comment to this! (I know I can get away with it with you..!) Any route to CMIOSH is difficult (arguably too many hurdles to jump vs other professions), going the academic route the exams will still be difficult, and then you have the SDP which is a monster project in its self!
hsawact  
#16 Posted : 21 June 2012 13:18:43(UTC)
hsawact

It might be a good idea to get a mentor to help you through the process, contact Fiona Gelling at IOSH Regards Brian
Stedman  
#17 Posted : 21 June 2012 16:07:51(UTC)
Stedman

Elevation, A 4% shortfall in meeting your exam objective on this occasion in my opinion is not a failure. Ok you are angry; however I and many other successful practitioners have also fallen at these same hurdles in the past and challenges like this have made us better practitioners. If I were in your position I would let the anger subside and then put together a strategic exam plan. I suspect that you have the necessary knowledge to pass, however I suspect that there is also a great deal scope in making up the short fall on concentrating on how you structure the information you wish to put forward, how you communicate this and telling the examiner what they want to hear. I found that by focusing my answers in a management and report style, passing the old NEBOSH Diploma exams were much easier. It is obvious that you have already put a lot of work in, but you also have an opportunity to capitalise on this.
wbpcsp  
#18 Posted : 26 January 2016 01:38:56(UTC)
wbpcsp

Well, I just took Part B and I know that I failed it. I loathe subjective grading. I didn't put in the effort I should have either. I'm in the US, so even harder to think in UK terms to answer questions. I didn't sit the first time I registered either (that assessment period was the first week of my new job -- there was no way I could worry with it and it was too late to ask for another date) so I only get one more chance. Is the pass rate for each section individually 50%? I made a 75% on Part A. Wish they averaged the two together! I intend to sit for the NEBOSH IDip in July (if it works out with my work schedule which I doubt!) so that should help (I'm able to site for CMIOSH as a CSP so yes, going about this backward). I'm getting old and lazy is my problem.
Krssmth76  
#19 Posted : 16 May 2016 17:46:40(UTC)
Krssmth76

I too just took the CMIOSH open assessment, I passed part A but took part B yesterday and it immediately displayed an "N" under the pass category but still states that it has been sent to my examiner for further review. So my question is, does the N mean I failed it or does it just mean its pending grading and/or marking? Any input would be appreciated, I did not realize so many folks were failing Part B...I feel like I compiled worthy essays for both that contained elaborate detail but who knows?
Ramil  
#20 Posted : 31 May 2016 15:10:06(UTC)
Ramil

krssmth76 wrote:
I too just took the CMIOSH open assessment, I passed part A but took part B yesterday and it immediately displayed an "N" under the pass category but still states that it has been sent to my examiner for further review. So my question is, does the N mean I failed it or does it just mean its pending grading and/or marking? Any input would be appreciated, I did not realize so many folks were failing Part B...I feel like I compiled worthy essays for both that contained elaborate detail but who knows?
Hi. How do I need be prepared for part A? Any materials or similar question available?
rizwanbrilliant  
#21 Posted : 28 November 2017 17:47:54(UTC)
rizwanbrilliant

i passed Part A exam but unfortunatley i scored 47% in Part B exam. Do they automatically re-mark part B or i need to request for re-evaluation.

bxuxa  
#22 Posted : 06 December 2017 23:57:51(UTC)
bxuxa

Hi,

I have my open assessment between 10 January and 24 January 2018.

Does any of the colleagues go to do the assessment on this dates?

The syllabus is huge and I am afraid to get lost.   

Shopland23872  
#23 Posted : 21 December 2017 20:47:55(UTC)
Shopland23872

Originally Posted by: Joao Go to Quoted Post
Hi,I have my open assessment between10 Januaryand 24 January 2018.Does any of the colleagues go to do the assessment on this dates?The syllabus is huge and I am afraid to get lost.
I can help you out with this. I failed my first part B, but passed my second attempt and learned why. Read the questions very carefully and take particular note of their trigger words, such as describe or outline etc. Also on both of mine, they gave a scenario then asked me to discuss a related offence such as corporate manslaughter. My first attempt I did just that, but as a result of the given scenario. That was my mistake, they wanted a discussion on the stated offence, and I also discussed the defence of "reasonable doubt" as part of that, but they didn't state that they wanted this and did not tell me to relate it to the given scenario, this was an assumption on my part, and that is why I failed. I scored 48% overall. The feedback from the examiner was quite helpful for my next attempt. One of the comments was "this would have been a very good answer if only a different question had been asked". Read the question very very carefully and break it down into segments before you attempt to answer it. It is a very hard process but also achievable. I got 50% and 80% on both parts of my part B on my second attempt. This was a couple of years ago. You have three hours to answer part A and for anyone doing the job, should not find part A any problem.
AndyMcCluskey  
#24 Posted : 22 December 2017 13:56:06(UTC)
AndyMcCluskey

Hi,

I'm not in the process of doing the Open Assessment - I gained my CMIOSH several years ago when it seemed  much easier to do so.

Out of interest it would be good just to have an insight into a current example question - or is that taboo?

Cheers

Andy 

bxuxa  
#25 Posted : 18 February 2018 09:23:48(UTC)
bxuxa

Hi to all,

I am undertaking now the Part B.

Should I mention specific regulation?

They don't ask for.