Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ScottRoberts1995  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2018 15:41:16(UTC)
ScottRoberts1995

Thought this may be a good place to ask the question...

I am currently a technical member of IOSH, the aim is to continue through the membership grades and to eventually reach CMIOSH. I have been doing a little bit of reading up on the matter and understand that there are two different ways of achieving this. The diploma which leads to an IPD and an interview or the NVQ which leads to an exam and an interview.

This is my current situation, I am currently studying an MSc in Safety, Health & Environmental Management (2 Year Part Time) and coming to the end of the first year. This will give me the GradIOSH grade and will lead me onto the IPD. The question I want to know is if I was to complete the NVQ over the next year alongside would I satisfy both routes to CMIOSH leaving only the interview ? Has anyone done this or knows if this would be the case?

(I have requested information from IOSH already but just wanted to see if anyone has done this)

Thanks

Scott

JayPownall  
#2 Posted : 07 March 2018 14:38:19(UTC)
JayPownall

What you describe is possible and there is a route (albeit quite rare), whereby a member with dual qualifications that span both of the IPD requirements can have the usual CPD Audit and then move on to the PRI. Note of caution as ever - check with membership before you either commit to another course, or start the IPD process. As a panel member I've not yet come across such a candidate, but I know it is possible. Good luck!
ScottRoberts1995  
#3 Posted : 09 March 2018 15:54:21(UTC)
ScottRoberts1995

Thank you for your reply!

Good to know !

starler229  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2018 15:50:29(UTC)
starler229

Hi Scott,

On my journey, I completed the old NVQ level 4 in OH&S and then a few years later completed the NEBOSH Diploma.

Why did I do this?  The NVQ was the right progression path for me at the time, and then more recently, I wanted additional technical knowledge which is why I completed the diploma.

The intention was never to do this to aid my IOSH membership status, but when I did begin to explore CMIOSH (post NEBOSH), the 2 qualifications combined meant I only needed to do the peer review interview.  I think the NVQ evidences IPD and the diploma evidences the learing knowledge (exam) and so staright to PRI.

Hope this helps.

Carl.

ScottRoberts1995  
#5 Posted : 16 March 2018 12:09:17(UTC)
ScottRoberts1995

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the response, I was considering doing the NVQ but have decided against it for now. The cost and also the amount of working whilst doing the MSc has put me off.

Your scenario is exactly how I thought it may pan out if I did the NVQ. I think for now I will just keep updating my CPD and see where I am at in a year once the MSc is complete.

Once again thank you for the reply.

Thanks

Scott

Dude7777  
#6 Posted : 18 March 2018 08:30:58(UTC)
Dude7777

Hi Scott,

I have completed this route.  My employer at the time had funding for NVQ and I completed the old NVQ 4 - Dip RSA.  I then updated my CPD and completed PG Dip at Strathclyde University.  I was I think one of the first to attend peer review interview without doing IPD as part of the new system.  This makes complete sense to me as I have been externally assessed for my Practical and Theory skills.  I also passed the interview first time.  Good luck on the journey, I just wanted to confirm this route is possible, however very rare and expensive option.  

Mark

Edited by user 18 March 2018 08:38:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified