Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LeeGarner  
#1 Posted : 12 March 2018 13:22:25(UTC)
LeeGarner

Hi All,

I currently have the NEBOSH General Certificate and am looking at continuing my development by studing for the Diploma. However, after some investigation I have discovered the NCRQ diploma which sounds a lot better for my style of qualification as there is no sit down exam, I do not like the traditional approach as I tend to worry and stress when sitting down to do a formal exam.

What are other peoples experience or views of the NCRQ as ome of the companies that provide NEBOSH have suggested that NEBOSH is more recognised than NCRQ and therefore is not a good? I don't want to waste money on studying for a qualification that won't help further my carreer, any help greatly appriciated

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2018 13:47:49(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: LeeGarner Go to Quoted Post

Hi All,

I currently have the NEBOSH General Certificate and am looking at continuing my development by studing for the Diploma. However, after some investigation I have discovered the NCRQ diploma which sounds a lot better for my style of qualification as there is no sit down exam, I do not like the traditional approach as I tend to worry and stress when sitting down to do a formal exam.

What are other peoples experience or views of the NCRQ as ome of the companies that provide NEBOSH have suggested that NEBOSH is more recognised than NCRQ and therefore is not a good? I don't want to waste money on studying for a qualification that won't help further my carreer, any help greatly appriciated

Like you I have the NEBOSH General Cert and wanted to take the next step, but wanted to advoid exams.

I came across NCRQ almost 2 years ago, I studied the NCRQ and I enjoyed every part of it, the assignments are much more interesting then revising for exams.

I was one of the first one's to complete the full diploma, (2nd batch of certificates issued).

I have had a few interviews, so companies have heard of it and some havent, but the one's who havent heard of it are impressed with the structure of learning.

I am also starting a MSc in Health, Safety & Environmental management with University of Hull as the NCRQ meets the entry requirements.

thanks 1 user thanked George_Young for this useful post.
LeeGarner on 20/03/2018(UTC)
Kenny403  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2018 14:58:23(UTC)
Kenny403

Hi Lee,

I studied NEBOSH at General Construction and Diploma level.

All I can really comment on is that the General and Construction Certificates are a great foundation for going on to studying the Diploma.

Does it make a difference? Its difficult to say, the Diploma has always had low success rates (40%) so is well regarded by employer's and clients. I work for a Consultancy with a very mixed range of qualifications and in my opinion the type and level of a qualification is only a small part of being able to demonstrate competence.

Personally I am biased and would say the Diploma is the way, purely because in my experience it has provided me with the depth and breadth of knowledge I need, but that is my opinion.

Pick a good training provider though, the study period is long and having a good provider is invaluable. PM me and i will give you a recommendation (from personal experience)

Hope that helps and good luck with whatever route you choose.