Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
taffie999  
#1 Posted : 22 March 2018 13:00:47(UTC)
taffie999

I'm a chartered member nearing retirement. My daughter is considering entering health and safety (which I'm encouraging as I think it's a great career). I recently discovered the NCRQ qualifications as a potential alternative to Nebosh , NCRQ appearing to address some of the flaws I felt were present with the Nebosh exams that I waded through.

The decision which to go for will be based partly on differing styles of study, and partly on cost. However, more importantly, is the NCRQ certificate likely to be as credible with potential employers as the Nebosh certificate?

I am aware of the limitations in terms of employability with the Nebosh cert (although plenty of consultants out there make a good living having acquired only the cert). In my experience also, many employers don't have a clue about the different levels of Nebosh qualifications, or IOSH membership levels for that matter.

Which is the better option for employability?

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 22 March 2018 13:14:50(UTC)
George_Young

I have studied both the NEBOSH General Cert and the NCRQ Certficate (as part of the full diploma)

I found HSD1 much more enjoyable than the NEBOSH route, it wasnt just about reading a booking and trying to recall the information for an exam, it was also carrying out risk assessments, doing research etc.

I have seen a few companies now requesting NCRQ and NEBOSH certficates on job boards, I have even seen one or two that have just mentions NCRQ.

As NCRQ is new to the H&S world it may take a couple of years before it becomes popular with recuriters, but it is fast becoming the preferred method of study for many students.

I would recommend NCRQ, I will also be studying the Fire Diploma once released also.

Kind Regards

George

thanks 1 user thanked George_Young for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 01/05/2018(UTC)
taffie999  
#3 Posted : 22 March 2018 13:20:21(UTC)
taffie999

Thanks George.one thing that puzzles me slightly is that the NCRQ is a Level 6 award, which is degree standard, as was my Nebosh Diploma, I think, but it is regarded by IOSH as equal to the Nebosh cert.

I also wanted to ask whether there is a practical element in th NCRQ cert, and how someone who is working full time, but not in a health and safety role,would be able to do this ?

PeterP  
#4 Posted : 22 March 2018 13:30:47(UTC)
PeterP

From the NCRQ website:

The Level 6 Certificate in Applied Health and Safety is accredited by IOSH as meeting the academic requirements of Associate (AIOSH) or Technical (TechIOSH) Membership, and by IIRSM as meeting the requirements for Associate (AIIRSM) Membership.

The Level 6 Diploma in Applied Health and Safety is accredited by IOSH as meeting the academic requirements of Graduate (GradIOSH) or Chartered (CMIOSH) Membership, and by IIRSM as meeting the requirements for full (MIIRSM) Membership.

George_Young  
#5 Posted : 22 March 2018 13:55:38(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: taffie999 Go to Quoted Post

Thanks George.one thing that puzzles me slightly is that the NCRQ is a Level 6 award, which is degree standard, as was my Nebosh Diploma, I think, but it is regarded by IOSH as equal to the Nebosh cert.

I also wanted to ask whether there is a practical element in th NCRQ cert, and how someone who is working full time, but not in a health and safety role,would be able to do this ?

This course can and has been done by students who are not within a H&S role.

I completed this course while working full time, although I was new to an H&S role at the time. None of the course requires (well didnt when I studied) any employer invovlement or assessments on your workplace.

HTH

George

taffie999  
#6 Posted : 22 March 2018 14:59:53(UTC)
taffie999

It seems that Nebosh are starting to pay the price for not listening to constructive criticism over the years

thanks 2 users thanked taffie999 for this useful post.
Centurion on 23/03/2018(UTC), Kim Hedges on 01/05/2018(UTC)
gramsay  
#7 Posted : 23 March 2018 10:58:13(UTC)
gramsay

Originally Posted by: taffie999 Go to Quoted Post

One thing that impresses me about the NCRQ methods is that every lesson is focussed on a case study, a real incident which actually occured. The material is preented clearly and leads you through the thought process which H&S people follow in their jobs every day. I think this is a real hidden strength of the course as it develops the frame of mind needed for this career.

I'd certainly look favourably on someone with this qualification.

thanks 1 user thanked gramsay for this useful post.
johnc on 04/04/2018(UTC)
taffie999  
#8 Posted : 23 March 2018 11:19:31(UTC)
taffie999

Thanks to all who have responded to date. Hopefully more will follow

lizize  
#9 Posted : 02 April 2018 11:14:33(UTC)
lizize

Hi Taffie,

I loved the NRCQ, i completed it in 5 months working full time, i dont have a life well i didnt for that five months, i would highly recommend the course it is engaging and a fantastic learning curve, i went from 0 to level 6 and the knowledge i gained was immense, im now wading through the Nebosh Construction and struggling with it, as im level 6 and this is level 3, i know my Health and Safety and can quote chapter and verse, put that into the context of the command words,i freeze and my mind goes WTF, but i will wade on through it, 

If i had the choice it would be NRCQ all the way.

Lizzie 

WatsonD  
#10 Posted : 04 April 2018 07:56:00(UTC)
WatsonD

Originally Posted by: lizize Go to Quoted Post

Hi Taffie,

I loved the NRCQ, i completed it in 5 months working full time, i dont have a life well i didnt for that five months, i would highly recommend the course it is engaging and a fantastic learning curve, i went from 0 to level 6 and the knowledge i gained was immense, im now wading through the Nebosh Construction and struggling with it, as im level 6 and this is level 3, i know my Health and Safety and can quote chapter and verse, put that into the context of the command words,i freeze and my mind goes WTF, but i will wade on through it, 

If i had the choice it would be NRCQ all the way.

Lizzie 

Lizzie there is a lot of fear put into candidates regarding the command words. Just read the question, if it asks you to describe, list, explain, etc. then just follow up with what you think is right. If you have learnt the course and read the question right it doesn't matter, these are not foreign concepts, just words in everyday usage. The mark is a guide to how much detail is required. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine!

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
RyanB1992 on 01/05/2018(UTC)
jim4244  
#11 Posted : 04 April 2018 11:38:03(UTC)
jim4244

Hi Taffie I'm also a CMIOSH and my daughter has also just gone into the H&S sector after leaving the Royal Navy. I had suggested that she study for a NEBOSH NGC when she was kicking about at home a few years ago, and since then she has gone on to complete her NEBOSH Fire Safety & Risk Management and the new Health and Wellbeing Cert. After looking at her options to progress her knowledge base and IOSH membership level we both agreed that the NCRQ route was way more user friendly and relevant to the workplace when compared to the NEBOSH Dip route. Wish your daughter good luck from me! James

Edited by user 04 April 2018 11:38:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

JamesMc85  
#12 Posted : 01 May 2018 08:30:32(UTC)
JamesMc85

@jim4244

I am entering H&S with plenty of exposure but admittedly limited knowledge.

I understand that experience at this stage is going to play a larger role for me than solely the academic side, so did your daughter find the NEBOSH GC and FS&RM good grounding for this? 

I am far off NCRQ / NEBOSH Dip, but this will be interesting to explore nearer the time.

Alan.j  
#13 Posted : 01 May 2018 08:40:06(UTC)
Alan.j

Quite gutted the NCRQ price just shot up recently , just as i was about to purchase too (just my luck)

Anyone know of any offers of promos knocking about ? (I have googled to no avail)

Kim Hedges  
#14 Posted : 01 May 2018 12:33:19(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Everybody studies differently, everybody is different.  I've studied both Nebosh and NCRQ.  Nebosh is a boring memorising list of things which need to be regurgitated in an exam either in a list or in a paragragh.  I took all 6 certificate exams and the diploma (twice), I failed the construction certificate 3 times and the diploma twice (with resits).  So I am anti-Nebosh. 

Currently doing the NCRQ level 6 Diploma and i'm struggling on the second part of three books.  I've managed to be awarded the first level 6 certificate in the subject after completing the first book.  The learning style is at home in your own time and I self funded it yet again.  It is not based on remembering and regurgitating things.  I am dyslexic so this style in itself makes me Pro-NCRQ.  I might have to take far longer to do the work than a normal person, but that's just me, nothing I can do about it, my eyes simply stop working when I'm trying to read a text book and why i'm struggling with the current book all talking about the management of law in safety and in particular 'Personal injury liability and absence reduction' - what a mouthful. 

I hope this helps anyone thinking of further education. 

ColinS65  
#15 Posted : 30 May 2018 12:22:00(UTC)
ColinS65

I did the new level 5 Dip in 2016 the cost being £1300 try Bussiness Safety Systems based in Stafford all 12 modules are on line and the guidence is good Alan j.

Kelvin Jones  
#16 Posted : 15 June 2018 09:19:43(UTC)
Kelvin Jones

I can only echo the above comment regarding the Level 5 Dip in Occ Safety & Health by BSS.  Excellent company and great support throughout.