Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
solidpine  
#1 Posted : 02 November 2017 19:38:04(UTC)
Rank: Forum user
solidpine

I have been on a Level 5 NVQ with a company and every time I submit my unit the feedback says you need to complete A,B,C,D ect

I do what is asked and re submit only to be told you now need to complete A,B,C,D ect this happens a few times before I get the unit signed off. 

I find the NVQ hard work and cant put the required time and effort into the process whilst holding down a H&S Managers position

Work is full on and I have little time to my studies. I paid extra last year for a 12 month extention period but that will come to an end in the new year

I cant afford the time or money to pay the provider again so I have only completed 4 units,

where can I go from here what are my options 

I have no interest in paying this provider any more money (pay cheap dont get the quality)

thanks for reading

JCBushell  
#2 Posted : 03 November 2017 07:32:27(UTC)
Rank: Forum user
JCBushell

I am currently half way through the NVQ Level 5, so if you need help in that sense then PM me and I would be happy to assist you.

James

Waz  
#3 Posted : 03 November 2017 08:29:40(UTC)
Rank: Forum user
Waz

Speak with CADUK - Gary Pollard, he may transfer you on to his platform and assessors. The key is having an assessor that understands and you submit relevant objective evidence to fulfil the learning outcome / criteria. The assessor should be able to discuss with you many elements e.g. through professional discussion. Any evidence that you have submitted, even if over 2 years old can still be valid, and the professional discussion can support that.

Best of luck.

Waz
Darren Hedges  
#4 Posted : 03 November 2017 12:56:16(UTC)
Rank: New forum user
Darren Hedges

Yes likewise if you PM me if I can help in any way.  I completed the NVQ 5 through RoSPA and the assessor was very good.

Good Luck

D

Thomas Baxter  
#5 Posted : 06 November 2017 16:10:41(UTC)
Rank: Forum user
Thomas Baxter

Hi,

If you haven't already done so, check out this group;

http://hsestudygroup.proboards.com/

It's a very useful forum and you're sure to get some good advice and guidance.

Regards,

pip306  
#6 Posted : 09 November 2017 09:56:33(UTC)
Rank: Forum user
pip306

Hi I am in a similar position just got an extension till sept 2018 not heard form my assessor since march this year when he failed another of my modules for not enough evidence even though there were 14 different pieces and all showed me doing the work but hey ho. agree the study support website is very good they will share narratives as long as you share narratives. 

I have passed 4 so far so happy to help if I can

Adam_Brown  
#7 Posted : 10 November 2017 12:38:02(UTC)
Rank: New forum user
Adam_Brown

I've found SHEilds to be very proactive with their response time and I can't reccommend them highly enough, I was getting call backs or messages back from them within 24 hours of me asking a question and a 7-10 day wait on unit assessments (apart from a month period where they had alot of people off ill). The course took me a little under a year and all of my spare time, ended up being about 90k words and 270 seperate pieces of evidence. 

I was told to work to a mimimum of 200 words per question and that 2 pieces of good evidence per question would be accepted, though some required a bit more. 

A good studygroup will really help you aswell. 

It soudns daft, but read the question and stick to it, structure everything around the requirements and dont stray into non-relevant areas. 

jim4244  
#8 Posted : 13 November 2017 12:33:42(UTC)
Rank: Forum user
jim4244

It was a few years ago now but I completed both my Level 4 and Level 5 NVQ with SHE-KNOWS HSE which is run by the ever helpful Linda Crossland-Clarke. Why not give her a shout for some help and advice?

Jim
thanks 1 user thanked jim4244 for this useful post.
solidpine on 28/01/2018(UTC)
linda xc  
#9 Posted : 14 November 2017 21:47:29(UTC)
Rank: Super forum user
linda xc

thanks Jim

I have been coming across a few candidates with the same problem this year.

are you registered with the awarding body?  ask for your registration number...

are you on 3654-05 or 3654-06?  i suspect them former.  C&G only allow a certain time span for you to complete then they demand a re registration action, this also includes a fee.  as the standards have moved from -05 to -06  this mean that an out of time candidate can end up on a nrew qualification (nightmare, as you are effectivly starting again, but having old evidence reassessed afainst the new standards .. and there are more units in the new standards).

have you completed any units, and got evidence of them being accepted and IV'd (IQA'd)?  if so you can ask your current provider to individually accredit those units.   easier to tranfer to a new provider then and less cost to you.

i have done this for a few candidates this year. a provider must unit accredit if you have completed and want to leave or out of time - it is part of their centre standards.

let me know your info and i will try to help further.

regards

linda

solidpine  
#10 Posted : 15 November 2017 09:29:30(UTC)
Rank: Forum user
solidpine

Linda you have hit the nail on the head

I have 4 units that have been Iv'd and will ask for unit certification when the course expires in Jan 2018

Linda can you PM me and I will discuss my option of switching in the new year

Thanks for all the help 

linda xc  
#11 Posted : 15 November 2017 18:53:11(UTC)
Rank: Super forum user
linda xc

FYI

there isn't a work count inthe standards.  There isnt even a requirement to have to type answers to questions.

linda

Originally Posted by: Adam_Brown Go to Quoted Post

I've found SHEilds to be very proactive with their response time and I can't reccommend them highly enough, I was getting call backs or messages back from them within 24 hours of me asking a question and a 7-10 day wait on unit assessments (apart from a month period where they had alot of people off ill). The course took me a little under a year and all of my spare time, ended up being about 90k words and 270 seperate pieces of evidence. 

I was told to work to a mimimum of 200 words per question and that 2 pieces of good evidence per question would be accepted, though some required a bit more. 

A good studygroup will really help you aswell. 

It soudns daft, but read the question and stick to it, structure everything around the requirements and dont stray into non-relevant areas. 



Adam_Brown  
#12 Posted : 16 November 2017 13:17:06(UTC)
Rank: New forum user
Adam_Brown

Thanks Linda, thats interesting to know, though my two cents was based only on my expousure to the course through my course provider and their guidance, which required 200 words minimum. 

When you say there is no work count and no requirement to type answers, I must admit to being a little confused, if it isnt a requirement to write up answers, then what is the requirement? 

linda xc  
#13 Posted : 16 November 2017 18:20:53(UTC)
Rank: Super forum user
linda xc

hi

Its up to the provider how they strucure their delivery, the more written work the candidate does, the less the assessor has to do!   So you could submit a recording of the verbal answers, you could have a professional discussion with your assessor, during an observation and the assessor will document what was covered - in this way some of the questions you have been told to write answers for have been covered as you walked around talking.

The only word count comes in Unit 611.

Regards

Linda

solidpine  
#14 Posted : 28 January 2018 17:46:03(UTC)
Rank: Forum user
solidpine

After starting this thread a while back with little or NO hope, 

A company called SHE-KNOWS based in hull have come to my aid I really struggled wiith my provider (you gets what you pay for sometimes) 

I just wanted to say thankyou Lynda for the help and support given freely I will now be completing my NVQ units on time

Not all providers are thre same the advice and service from she-knows has been excellent and I would encourage anyone else looking at NVQ's to ensure you do your homework and choose a provider that will stay in contact on a regular basis and not to ignore you after they take your money.

Thanks Again Lynda 

linda xc  
#15 Posted : 22 February 2018 18:14:04(UTC)
Rank: Super forum user
linda xc

When candidates are told that their course expires in... or on.. This could have several meanings.

  1. Your centre only charges you a fee to stay so long with them.
  2. If you use the C&G provided logon site to upload your evidence; your user licence could be expiring, and a new one needs to be bought and issued.
  3. Your evidence could becoming out of date and you will have to resubmit replacement evidence (more effort for you and an assessor, who is only being paid to assess your evidence once).
  4. Your C&G registration maybe coming to the end of its time span and you may have to re-register (or your NVQ provider has to do it on your behalf). If you are working on an "older" set of standards then you may have to register for a new qualfication and could "lose" any none certificated units you have worked on.

regards

Linda

geordierfc  
#16 Posted : 23 April 2018 11:17:51(UTC)
Rank: Forum user
geordierfc

I kinda tend to disagree as I am 3/4 through my NVQ Diploma and currently average 8000 words per Reflective Account.

It clearly states in my instructions how to complete the refective account therefore without actually writing anything down on paper how can it be evaluated.

Sorry but your comments don't make sende to me.

Originally Posted by: linda xc Go to Quoted Post

FYI

there isn't a work count inthe standards.  There isnt even a requirement to have to type answers to questions.

linda

Originally Posted by: Adam_Brown Go to Quoted Post

I've found SHEilds to be very proactive with their response time and I can't reccommend them highly enough, I was getting call backs or messages back from them within 24 hours of me asking a question and a 7-10 day wait on unit assessments (apart from a month period where they had alot of people off ill). The course took me a little under a year and all of my spare time, ended up being about 90k words and 270 seperate pieces of evidence. 

I was told to work to a mimimum of 200 words per question and that 2 pieces of good evidence per question would be accepted, though some required a bit more. 

A good studygroup will really help you aswell. 

It soudns daft, but read the question and stick to it, structure everything around the requirements and dont stray into non-relevant areas. 





linda xc  
#17 Posted : 23 April 2018 11:29:02(UTC)
Rank: Super forum user
linda xc

hi

It is not the awarding body putting those requirements in, it is the NVQ provider.  Hence finding out which provider provides what style of requirement for your submission - choose what fits your learning style.  It's all the same qualfication in the end, but getting there can differ.

As long as your demonstrating competence, that's what counts.

Regards

Linda

Originally Posted by: geordierfc Go to Quoted Post

I kinda tend to disagree as I am 3/4 through my NVQ Diploma and currently average 8000 words per Reflective Account.

It clearly states in my instructions how to complete the refective account therefore without actually writing anything down on paper how can it be evaluated.

Sorry but your comments don't make sende to me.

Originally Posted by: linda xc Go to Quoted Post

FYI

there isn't a work count inthe standards.  There isnt even a requirement to have to type answers to questions.

linda

Originally Posted by: Adam_Brown Go to Quoted Post

I've found SHEilds to be very proactive with their response time and I can't reccommend them highly enough, I was getting call backs or messages back from them within 24 hours of me asking a question and a 7-10 day wait on unit assessments (apart from a month period where they had alot of people off ill). The course took me a little under a year and all of my spare time, ended up being about 90k words and 270 seperate pieces of evidence. 

I was told to work to a mimimum of 200 words per question and that 2 pieces of good evidence per question would be accepted, though some required a bit more. 

A good studygroup will really help you aswell. 

It soudns daft, but read the question and stick to it, structure everything around the requirements and dont stray into non-relevant areas. 







geordierfc  
#18 Posted : 23 April 2018 12:36:31(UTC)
Rank: Forum user
geordierfc

Hi Linda

So going by what you are saying we could speak to our Aassessor and we are done.......

What I don't get is once my assessor reviews and accepts my units, my provider has a verifier who will also assess and verify my work. It then has to be verified and approved by City and Guilds .....

So without written work submitted from me how do they know my knowledge and competency

Originally Posted by: linda xc Go to Quoted Post

hi

It is not the awarding body putting those requirements in, it is the NVQ provider.  Hence finding out which provider provides what style of requirement for your submission - choose what fits your learning style.  It's all the same qualfication in the end, but getting there can differ.

As long as your demonstrating competence, that's what counts.

Regards

Linda

Originally Posted by: geordierfc Go to Quoted Post

I kinda tend to disagree as I am 3/4 through my NVQ Diploma and currently average 8000 words per Reflective Account.

It clearly states in my instructions how to complete the refective account therefore without actually writing anything down on paper how can it be evaluated.

Sorry but your comments don't make sende to me.

Originally Posted by: linda xc Go to Quoted Post

FYI

there isn't a work count inthe standards.  There isnt even a requirement to have to type answers to questions.

linda

Originally Posted by: Adam_Brown Go to Quoted Post

I've found SHEilds to be very proactive with their response time and I can't reccommend them highly enough, I was getting call backs or messages back from them within 24 hours of me asking a question and a 7-10 day wait on unit assessments (apart from a month period where they had alot of people off ill). The course took me a little under a year and all of my spare time, ended up being about 90k words and 270 seperate pieces of evidence. 

I was told to work to a mimimum of 200 words per question and that 2 pieces of good evidence per question would be accepted, though some required a bit more. 

A good studygroup will really help you aswell. 

It soudns daft, but read the question and stick to it, structure everything around the requirements and dont stray into non-relevant areas. 









linda xc  
#19 Posted : 23 April 2018 12:54:52(UTC)
Rank: Super forum user
linda xc

Hi again

You submit work based evidence which is assessed by your assessor, the Internal QA (not an IV) looks at the assessment process, they do not secondary assess.  The EQA does the same, sampling assessment and IQA methods. 

VACRS - valid, authentic, current, reliable, sufficient.

Your assessor needs to check that your work submitted is yours and can have a professional discussion, recorded conversation, Q/A or ask you to write an explanation on your knoweldge surrounding that subject.

You may also supply a witness testimony to validate the evdience you have submitted.

From my point of view, a busy job leaves little time for a H&S practitioner to be writing reflective accounts and explanations.  I will Q/A, interview, have professional discussions, record explanations, go and take to a manager/colleague etc to make a NVQers life easier.  Thats what I am paid to do.  I enjoy working with people that way.

regards

Linda

Originally Posted by: geordierfc Go to Quoted Post

Hi Linda

So going by what you are saying we could speak to our Aassessor and we are done.......

What I don't get is once my assessor reviews and accepts my units, my provider has a verifier who will also assess and verify my work. It then has to be verified and approved by City and Guilds .....

So without written work submitted from me how do they know my knowledge and competency

Originally Posted by: linda xc Go to Quoted Post

hi

It is not the awarding body putting those requirements in, it is the NVQ provider.  Hence finding out which provider provides what style of requirement for your submission - choose what fits your learning style.  It's all the same qualfication in the end, but getting there can differ.

As long as your demonstrating competence, that's what counts.

Regards

Linda

Originally Posted by: geordierfc Go to Quoted Post

I kinda tend to disagree as I am 3/4 through my NVQ Diploma and currently average 8000 words per Reflective Account.

It clearly states in my instructions how to complete the refective account therefore without actually writing anything down on paper how can it be evaluated.

Sorry but your comments don't make sende to me.

Originally Posted by: linda xc Go to Quoted Post

FYI

there isn't a work count inthe standards.  There isnt even a requirement to have to type answers to questions.

linda

Originally Posted by: Adam_Brown Go to Quoted Post

I've found SHEilds to be very proactive with their response time and I can't reccommend them highly enough, I was getting call backs or messages back from them within 24 hours of me asking a question and a 7-10 day wait on unit assessments (apart from a month period where they had alot of people off ill). The course took me a little under a year and all of my spare time, ended up being about 90k words and 270 seperate pieces of evidence. 

I was told to work to a mimimum of 200 words per question and that 2 pieces of good evidence per question would be accepted, though some required a bit more. 

A good studygroup will really help you aswell. 

It soudns daft, but read the question and stick to it, structure everything around the requirements and dont stray into non-relevant areas. 











geordierfc  
#20 Posted : 23 April 2018 19:55:54(UTC)
Rank: Forum user
geordierfc

Linda

I dont know whee u get ur inf but i have had my 511 reviewed and accepteddont know my assessor and also assezzed and verified by an internal verifier
I dont see how u can complete an NVQ 11 units plus 61q withoht doing a reflective account


Originally Posted by: linda xc Go to Quoted Post
Hi again
You submit work based evidence which is assessed by your assessor, the Internal QA (not an IV) looks

t the assessment process, they do not secondary assess. The EQA does the same, sampling assessment and IQA methods.
VACRS - valid, authentic, current, reliable, sufficient.
Your assessor needs to check that your work submitted is yours and can have a professional discussion, recorded conversation, Q/A or ask you to write an explanation on your knoweldge surrounding that subject.
You may also supply a witness testimony to validate the evdience you have submitted.
From my point of view, a busy job leaves little time for a H&S practitioner to be writing reflective accounts and explanations. I will Q/A, interview, have professional discussions, record explanations, go and take to a manager/colleagueetc to make a NVQers life easier. Thats whatI am paid to do. I enjoy working with people that way.
regards
Linda



Originally Posted by: geordierfc Go to Quoted Post

Hi Linda
So going by what you are sayingwe could speak to our Aassessor and we are done.......
What I don't get is once my assessor reviews and accepts my units, my provider has a verifier who will also assess and verify my work. It then has to beverified and approved byCity and Guilds.....
So without written work submitted fromme how do they know my knowledge and competency

Originally Posted by: linda xc Go to Quoted Post

hi
It is not the awarding body putting those requirements in, it is the NVQ provider. Hence finding out which provider provides what style of requirement for your submission - choose what fits your learning style. It's all the same qualfication in the end, but getting there can differ.
As long as your demonstrating competence, that's what counts.

Regards

Linda

Originally Posted by: geordierfc Go to Quoted Post

I kinda tend to disagree as I am 3/4 through my NVQ Diploma and currently average 8000 words per Reflective Account.
It clearly states in my instructions how to complete the refective account therefore without actually writing anything down on paper how can it be evaluated.
Sorry but your comments don't make sende to me.



Originally Posted by: linda xc Go to Quoted Post

FYI

there isn't a work count inthe standards. There isnt even a requirement to have to type answers to questions.

linda
Originally Posted by: Adam_Brown Go to Quoted Post

I've found SHEilds to be very proactive with their response time and I can't reccommend them highly enough,I was getting call backs or messages back from them within 24 hours of me asking a question and a 7-10 day wait on unit assessments (apart from a month period where they had alot of people off ill). The course took me a little under a year and all of my spare time, ended up being about 90k words and 270 seperate pieces of evidence.I was told to work to a mimimum of 200 words per question and that 2 pieces of good evidence per question would be accepted, though some required a bit more.A good studygroup will really help you aswell.It soudns daft, but read the question and stick to it, structure everything around the requirements and dont stray into non-relevant areas.












linda xc  
#21 Posted : 23 April 2018 20:12:37(UTC)
Rank: Super forum user
linda xc

Hi again

Fair enough.  You can reflect verbally though can't you..

Regards

Linda 

Originally Posted by: geordierfc Go to Quoted Post
Linda

I dont know whee u get ur inf but i have had my 511 reviewed and accepteddont know my assessor and also assezzed and verified by an internal verifier
I dont see how u can complete an NVQ 11 units plus 61q withoht doing a reflective account


Originally Posted by: linda xc Go to Quoted Post
Hi again
You submit work based evidence which is assessed by your assessor, the Internal QA (not an IV) looks

t the assessment process, they do not secondary assess. The EQA does the same, sampling assessment and IQA methods.
VACRS - valid, authentic, current, reliable, sufficient.
Your assessor needs to check that your work submitted is yours and can have a professional discussion, recorded conversation, Q/A or ask you to write an explanation on your knoweldge surrounding that subject.
You may also supply a witness testimony to validate the evdience you have submitted.
From my point of view, a busy job leaves little time for a H&S practitioner to be writing reflective accounts and explanations. I will Q/A, interview, have professional discussions, record explanations, go and take to a manager/colleagueetc to make a NVQers life easier. Thats whatI am paid to do. I enjoy working with people that way.
regards
Linda



Originally Posted by: geordierfc Go to Quoted Post

Hi Linda
So going by what you are sayingwe could speak to our Aassessor and we are done.......
What I don't get is once my assessor reviews and accepts my units, my provider has a verifier who will also assess and verify my work. It then has to beverified and approved byCity and Guilds.....
So without written work submitted fromme how do they know my knowledge and competency

Originally Posted by: linda xc Go to Quoted Post

hi
It is not the awarding body putting those requirements in, it is the NVQ provider. Hence finding out which provider provides what style of requirement for your submission - choose what fits your learning style. It's all the same qualfication in the end, but getting there can differ.
As long as your demonstrating competence, that's what counts.

Regards

Linda

Originally Posted by: geordierfc Go to Quoted Post

I kinda tend to disagree as I am 3/4 through my NVQ Diploma and currently average 8000 words per Reflective Account.
It clearly states in my instructions how to complete the refective account therefore without actually writing anything down on paper how can it be evaluated.
Sorry but your comments don't make sende to me.



Originally Posted by: linda xc Go to Quoted Post

FYI

there isn't a work count inthe standards. There isnt even a requirement to have to type answers to questions.

linda
Originally Posted by: Adam_Brown Go to Quoted Post

I've found SHEilds to be very proactive with their response time and I can't reccommend them highly enough,I was getting call backs or messages back from them within 24 hours of me asking a question and a 7-10 day wait on unit assessments (apart from a month period where they had alot of people off ill). The course took me a little under a year and all of my spare time, ended up being about 90k words and 270 seperate pieces of evidence.I was told to work to a mimimum of 200 words per question and that 2 pieces of good evidence per question would be accepted, though some required a bit more.A good studygroup will really help you aswell.It soudns daft, but read the question and stick to it, structure everything around the requirements and dont stray into non-relevant areas.












geordierfc  
#22 Posted : 24 April 2018 09:29:12(UTC)
Rank: Forum user
geordierfc

I don't see how you reflect verbally for such an in depth subject such as NVQ level 5

Users browsing this topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.