Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JamesMc85  
#1 Posted : 30 April 2018 15:42:30(UTC)
JamesMc85

Good afternoon all,

I am new to IOSH and indeed to professional Health and Safety, having worked closely and always had a keen interest with H&S I will now undertake some workplace responsibility.

I plan to complete the NEBOSH General Certificate via home learning study over a period of 5 weeks, with both exams on the 6th week.

I hoped to find whether this is a pattern others have followed and any feedback? I want to allow the knowledge to sink in and be of practical use, rather than a crash-course to tick a box.

​​​​​​​Thank you in advance,

James

Doug32  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2018 15:55:39(UTC)
Doug32

I did the NEBOSH NGC over an intensive 2 week classroom based course. I found it very helpful, very similar to being back in college if I'm honest. I had this option or a 1 day a week over 10 week course which would not have been conducive to my learning style. That being said I really enjoyed this course so I will be taking the NEBOSH Fire Safety & Risk Management course in the next few months also.

Everyone learns at different speeds and by different methods (I.e. visual, auditory or written). You have to choose a course which would best suit how you prefer to take information in. The NGC is crammed with lots of knowledge you have to retain and if you do not already work in H&S then this course can be an information overload.

Good luck.  

JamesMc85  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2018 16:16:03(UTC)
JamesMc85

Thank you for your response. Similar to yourself I thought the 10 week course would not suit my learning style, so with you benefitting from a 2 week course I am confident 5 weeks will be a happy medium.

I am looking into the Fire Safety & Risk Management course too, especially as one module is covered by the NGC. I hope yours goes well and will keep an eye out for any updates posted re: FS&RM.

Thanks!