Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Marshfield16330  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2018 10:16:03(UTC)
Marshfield16330

May be looking to recruit a trainee/assistant H&S advisor and was looking for advice on what qualification they should hold. 

Doug32  
#2 Posted : 02 May 2018 10:54:22(UTC)
Doug32

In my experience so far with the H&S advisors I have worked with they usually have a minimum of level 3 qualifications - equivalent to A level. So things like NEBOSH NGC, City & Guilds OHS Level 3 etc.

Level 4 and above are BTEC diplomas and working towards more technical knowledge, so they would probably be over qualified for an advisory role.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  

SNS  
#3 Posted : 02 May 2018 11:05:22(UTC)
SNS

As Doug says, Level 3 is ample or may even be high if you are looking at fully training them.

You could also pick up a recently qualified higher level looking for an entry level post to learn the job - plenty of  threads about lack of 'start-up' posts.

DaveBridle  
#4 Posted : 02 May 2018 11:27:50(UTC)
DaveBridle

I suppose it boils down to what is their role.  Are they going to be employed more to undertake an administrative role or are they there to provide competent advice and be able to work with some or little guidance.  Once you have that defined you should be in a better place to know what you want any potential employee to possess.

If it is a H&S Adminsitrator - apart from the obvious IT skills a basic knowledge of H&S would be a starting point (such as IOSH Working Safely or IOSH Managing Safely).

If it is a H&S Advisor - you'll be looking at NEBOSH General Cert or equivalents as you'll need them to be able to provide that competent advice and hit the ground running.

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 02 May 2018 13:01:25(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Myself,  I would not worry about specific H&S qualifications. I’d expect them to have a good level of general education-level 3 (A levels sort of thing) but more importantly good people skills, good communications skills, report writing etc.  Ideally someone who can pick things up as they go along and is a self-starter i.e. someone who is interested in H&S stuff and wants to find out more as oppose to some drone who expects everything to be presented on a plate and only do what they’re told to do ( that sort of person can work in HR!) . Once they have settled in then I’d get them onto the Nat Cert etc.  

pl53  
#6 Posted : 03 May 2018 14:09:59(UTC)
pl53

None, you're recruiting  a trainee. It's up to you to train that person.

peter gotch  
#7 Posted : 03 May 2018 15:20:27(UTC)
peter gotch

Depends on what you want this person to do and what support they will have to mentor them whether in house and/or externally.

You might possibly start with a job description and then do a gap analysis to work out how to meet that spec.

WatsonD  
#8 Posted : 09 May 2018 08:59:52(UTC)
WatsonD

As others have said I would be more interested in the 'type' of person at this stage. H&S can be learnt, but personalities stay with us.

I would want someone level-headed and pragmatic. Someone who can think on their feet and with a real interest in problem solving and also, good diplomacy skills. I would test for this by asking scenario-based questions at interview. If they had all of those skills then you could teach them the rest.