Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pseudonym  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2018 12:32:35(UTC)
pseudonym

Afternoon All,

Just came across a job add for a Health & Safety Business Partner - not much detail to go with, so thought I'd ask on here exactly what is a H&S Business Partner? What does one do? and where in the hieracrchy of H&S roles would such a job sit?

Anyone out there have any ideas?

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 18 June 2018 12:46:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

Quite happy to be corrected but from my experienec Business Partners seems to be a term referring to an outside resource working within an organisation but without the benefits of direct employment by the organisation

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 18 June 2018 12:46:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

Quite happy to be corrected but from my experienec Business Partners seems to be a term referring to an outside resource working within an organisation but without the benefits of direct employment by the organisation

peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 18 June 2018 12:47:52(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Pseudonym

If it's akin to our HR Business Partner is someone dedicated to a line of the business.

If we had HSE Business Partners they could be at various levels.

Is there a job description?

ke5283  
#5 Posted : 18 June 2018 15:29:47(UTC)
ke5283

I am a SHE Business Partner, I work for a Group with a number of subsidiary companies (hence business partnering across the companies). To be honest I do the role of an advisor and have no line management responsibility.

A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 19 June 2018 08:55:32(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I am sometimes referred to as a Health and Safety Business Partner; this a term I hate, I much prefer Health and Safety Advisor.  I work at a university which is divided up into faculties (Life Sciences, Engineering, Business and Law etc.) plus Central Support Services. H&S belongs to Central Services but the advisers are embedded in various faculties, where they are referred to a business partners. I take part in faculty activities, committees and board meeting and regularly update the Dean etc  but I report to the H&S manager in Central Support Services.

Clark34486  
#7 Posted : 25 June 2018 15:03:10(UTC)
Clark34486

I employ 6 SH&E Business Parnters (as the Group Head), it's a term that's better recognised in the HR field BUT has been adopted in the SH&E forum.

For me it better represents the modern world (term used loosely), the transition from the clipboard H&S practitioner, simply quoting legislation and 'telling' rather than coaching and mentoring. There's always a time to identify and use the perscriptive approach but I find this few and far between nowadays.

.....hence a partner rather than, advisor or officer (I dislike the term officer). Manager is widely used but rarely do these managers 'manage' in my experience