Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Eddy  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2018 11:32:26(UTC)
Eddy

Hi Folks Can anyone give me advice on how to go about looking for work in England and Scotland. I would also consider going abroad possibly oil industry. I am Chartered and have 19 years experience In engineering, transport, recycling, quarries etc. I would appreciate if someone could advise me Eddy Thankyou
Woolf13  
#2 Posted : 30 October 2018 12:38:37(UTC)
Woolf13

Hi Eddy,

Ensure your CV is up to date and "sells" you as an individual. Make it specific to the success you have had and try to taylor it to specific sectors rather than a catch all (if you have a variety of industry sectors you could work in).

Ensure you upload your CV to the relevant recruitment websites and speak to them about what it is your looking for so it is more personal and they are targeting specific areas for you rather than contacting you about anything and everything.

Best of luck! 

thanks 1 user thanked Woolf13 for this useful post.
Eddy on 31/10/2018(UTC)
JohnW  
#3 Posted : 30 October 2018 16:10:34(UTC)
JohnW

Eddy, for someone with your qualifiations and experience there are always good job adverts worth looking at in SHP and IOSH magazine. Also I suggest joining Indeed.co.uk, put the app on your phone.

thanks 1 user thanked JohnW for this useful post.
Eddy on 31/10/2018(UTC)
Kate  
#4 Posted : 01 November 2018 12:49:11(UTC)
Kate

Also be on LinkedIn and build up a profile that will interest recruiters - lots of opportunities can turn up that way.

UncleFester  
#5 Posted : 01 November 2018 13:04:34(UTC)
UncleFester

Hi Eddy,

You obviously have a wealth of experience in many industries, but what industry are you looking at specifically, or are you looking for H&S work in any industry?

As already suggested, I'd start with a solid CV that represents the achievements you have made and sells you well. Be prepared to tailor the CV depending on the industry or position you're looking for.

Make sure that your LinkedIn profile is a good representation of your CV and make sure that you've enable you profile to be viewed by recruiters.

Then look at the usual general job boards and upload your CV, again making sure that your CV is visible to recruiters.

You could - if you have a budget - have your CV professionally appraised so that it really sells you.

peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 02 November 2018 11:45:54(UTC)
peter gotch

Eddy

As others have said tailor your CV to the specific potential employer, but don't excise evidence of experience in other sectors - instead use the CV to show how your experience in one sector offers value to be transferred to others including that of that particular potential employer.