Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
descon297  
#1 Posted : 14 November 2018 14:43:42(UTC)
descon297

All,

After achieving Chartered last year and my L5 Diploma the year before i am at a loose end as what to study or direction i should take to further enhance career and personal development. Ideally i would prefer distance learning but open to any ideas and suggestions.

thanks 

Paul

jodieclark1510  
#2 Posted : 14 November 2018 16:01:22(UTC)
jodieclark1510

What are your interestes or is there anything that you feel you could brush up on? Are there possible changes to your role which could benefit from some additional focus?

JayPownall  
#3 Posted : 14 November 2018 18:47:22(UTC)
JayPownall

Paul, I was (and suspect always will be) looking for that next course or bit of training. I however have moved away from purist safety stuff and enrolled on a few of the Open University's free OpenLearn courses. Everything from cyber security to management studies. Jamie
thanks 2 users thanked JayPownall for this useful post.
descon297 on 18/12/2018(UTC), jwk on 03/01/2019(UTC)
MikeKelly  
#4 Posted : 15 November 2018 11:48:39(UTC)
MikeKelly

Hi Jay

I didn't know the Open University did any free courses. The cost of doing a degree seems very high-although the OU is one of the best institutions ever developed. It's a tough way to get a degree too.

I'm going to renew my acquaintance with exclusion clauses-what fun, eh? So, thanks for that.

Regards

Mike

Kate  
#5 Posted : 15 November 2018 19:06:27(UTC)
Kate

I've chosen to go in for qualifications in environment and quality.  My aim is to become chartered three times over.

SNS  
#6 Posted : 15 November 2018 20:15:17(UTC)
SNS

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

I've chosen to go in for qualifications in environment and quality.  My aim is to become chartered three times over.

otherwise known as death by degrees :)

good luck with them all

thanks 1 user thanked SNS for this useful post.
Kate on 16/11/2018(UTC)
UncleFester  
#7 Posted : 16 November 2018 07:46:36(UTC)
UncleFester

If distance learning is your preference you could look at any number of management qualifications by the CMI or ILM.

As already mentioned, you could look at Quality or Environmental, Information Management or Energy Management - all have a linkage to H&S in one way or another.

ACAS (www.acas.org.uk) also have a number of courses you could look at from an HR perspective.

thanks 1 user thanked UncleFester for this useful post.
descon297 on 18/12/2018(UTC)
descon297  
#8 Posted : 16 November 2018 09:08:36(UTC)
descon297

Thanks for the feedback all, i will probably be looking to stay within H&S, occ health or possibly environmental side of life to try and enhance.

thanks 1 user thanked descon297 for this useful post.
iyenoma on 11/01/2019(UTC)
chris.packham  
#9 Posted : 17 November 2018 10:25:23(UTC)
chris.packham

You've done the safety bit. Why not look at occupational hygiene and occupational health aspects of H&S? You could do worse than start to look at the BOHS website.

Chris

peter gotch  
#10 Posted : 17 November 2018 15:51:30(UTC)
peter gotch

....or you could give up doing exams and putting together portfolios of evidence in favour of self-learning on the job.

CPD should not be all about doing courses!

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
toe on 06/01/2019(UTC)
pl53  
#11 Posted : 19 November 2018 15:13:34(UTC)
pl53

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

....or you could give up doing exams and putting together portfolios of evidence in favour of self-learning on the job.

CPD should not be all about doing courses!

If there was a like button I would definitely be repeatedly pressing it now. Do something that also  adds value to your employer rather than making your signature a bit longer

thanks 1 user thanked pl53 for this useful post.
descon297 on 18/12/2018(UTC)
KieranD  
#12 Posted : 31 December 2018 19:33:50(UTC)
KieranD

Building on the observations of Peter Gotch and p153, there are several well-researched approaches to coaching in relation to leadership, cultural change and other tough challenges in the area of safety and health at work.

For an introduction to them, you can read 'Handbook of Coaching Psychology'  edited by S Palmer and A Whybrow, published by Routledge, 2019

Blackburn31728  
#13 Posted : 18 January 2019 14:16:13(UTC)
Blackburn31728

Now start to get trained in othere like for Construction

Confined space

scaffold Inspection

Abrasvie Wheels Training

Face fit training

Vehicle marshall

DSE Assessor

Noies Assessor

Environmental Qulification

And it goes on 

All good for extra Kowledge