Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
spencerwhitaker  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2018 18:40:21(UTC)
spencerwhitaker

Hi all,

I have finally got myself an interview for an Asbestos manager!!

The job requires Nebosh NGC but will train me for asbestos surveying and asbestos management.

Just a little back ground on me, Army 6 years, then 27 years in engineering. Passed my Nebosh in Feb this year and since have been helping out with safety ie. on the safety comittee, accident investigations, developing ssw and risk assessments etc. 

My question is, because this is only part time ( my main job is in cnc machine operation), how do I go about convincing them I am right for the job? I ask this because the last job interview I had was 15 years ago for my present job and that was for machine operation.

The position is with a managment company that services social housing properties.

Any advice would be much appreciated

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 29 November 2018 09:31:03(UTC)
RayRapp

I suggest doing some homework on asbestos management and particularly from an asbestos surveying perspective. You could also check out their website to find out more about the company and the services they provide. Your prospective company may well ask you questions on the company to see how much you have researched. Good luck.

jodieclark1510  
#3 Posted : 29 November 2018 10:00:40(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Put your existing management and transferable skills at the forefront, my current role is heavily asbestos management/ assistance- I spent most of the interview stating I had no experience in Asbestos Management but I was willing to learn ( I did my P405 in 2016). Try and not give a textbook answer, that's not what they want, they want you as a person. Maybe if you know someone who works in the industry have a chat with them or have a look at the CAR Regs ( Section 4 - Duty to Manage) if you haven't got alot of experience with it already. 

Best of luck with the interview!

thanks 1 user thanked jodieclark1510 for this useful post.
O'Donnell54548 on 29/11/2018(UTC)
O'Donnell54548  
#4 Posted : 29 November 2018 10:44:55(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

spencewhitaker - I agree with jodieclark510, if they are willing to train you in asbestos surveying/management I would suggest that it is not your knowledge/competence that they will be looking at. They are interviewing you, so that it what you should focus on. What first drew you to the subject of H&S? why do you want this role? what can you bring to the role personally? what are your strengths and weaknesses? think of yourself as a product that you are trying to sell to someone. And good luck