Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nicka  
#1 Posted : 17 February 2019 18:09:39(UTC)
Nicka

Apologies if I'm going over any old ground here.

I've been considering navigating a route into H & S however after extensive reading of this forum I'm not sure if this would translate into a half decent job at the end.

Quick background: I'm 52, have 15 years experience in Royal Mail, mostly driving but I was a Union safety rep for a year, 10 years experience as a Radiotherapist both NHS and private, plus goods driving, some warehouse experience and 9 months bus driving experience (current role). 

I'm considering the NCRQ diploma as it seems the more practical option for someone working long hours and give me a good grounding in the subject.

Obviously this is a lot of work and expense so could you brilliant people advise me whether my work background would be condusive to gaining an H & S role at the end of it?

I've looked for the NHS Radiotherapy H & S related roles but the main one is Radiation Protection Advisors but this role comes under the remit of Medical Physics and doesn't seem in any way accessible.

Once again thank you for any replies

Nick

westonphil  
#2 Posted : 17 February 2019 23:44:29(UTC)
westonphil

1. My advice would be to understand the reason(s) why you wish to take up such a career as opposed to another career. Think it through and understand where your motivations come from.

2. Review a decent number of H&S job adverts and get a feel for what they are asking for and compare that with what you have. You can then ascertain the gaps and what you will need to do to fill those gaps.

3. Consider the type of level you would enter at and the typical salaries and work out if that works for you. Normally salaries vary a lot but by reviewing a decent number you will get a feel for things.

It's always possible but there is plenty of competetion for jobs. Competition from those wanting to move into H&S and from those wanting to move jobs etc.

Good luck.

Clark34486  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2019 11:14:27(UTC)
Clark34486

I find it very difficult to find H&S professionals however, it is also difficult to break into the sector.

Recently I've taken 2 x internal candidates that i've had to mentor and have found this to be hugely rewarding

thanks 1 user thanked Clark34486 for this useful post.
brownsugar on 13/05/2019(UTC)