Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jaybhatia  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2019 11:17:22(UTC)
jaybhatia

Hello all,

New member to Iosh forums and soon to be assossiate once i get my certificate through the post.

I have currently completed the NGC and am awaiting the certificates. I am very eager to get on and do some more courses, i have done my research. I would like some advice on what order i should do them in terms of what would be the quickest to achieve completion and would i actually benefit doing them. Heres the order i have them in:

National Fire Certicate- would only need to do the FC1 & FC2 and can be used in my current job once i have been trained and got experience. Would make me the only person in the organisation to be able to carry out our fire services.

Nebosh Health & Wellbeing certificate- No accrediation, maybe useful in my current job in terms of being able to provide another service in a HR capacity? Why do i want to do it, just purely it sounding interesting.

NCRQ Diploma- Gradiosh and eventual CMIOSH status. Very respected in my job and elsewhere. Will be the biggest and hardest course out of them all. Definetly not doing the nebosh or NVQ route, this is definetly my learning style.

So there you have it, im pretty sure after typing this out, that this way would be the most efficient beneficial way for me. But would appreciate your wisdom on this, it may come across that i am in a rush but i know this is a marthon and not a sprint.

Woolf13  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2019 13:20:43(UTC)
Woolf13

First of all it is really positive to see such enthusiasm and that you have a development plan in mind/mapped out.

My advice would be take courses which fit in with your industry sector and will benefit your experience and skills in these areas first. After which (or if you are looking for a career change) I would then start to look at futher afield. For example:

I was in retail and did my IOSH Managing Safely, NEBOSH General and then NEBOSH Fire as they were pertinent to what I was doing (and the Fire for the reason you stated, you did not have to repeat the law section).

I then had a change of career and went into power generation on major projects and did the NEBOSH Construction. I followed this with my NEBOSH Diploma. Some go the NVQ route or level 5 as it is more hands on with the job they have. Personally I wanted something more holistic and transferable in case I changed career path.

Once I completed my qualifications and attained CMIOSH I had a number of years experience behind me in health and safety and then followed the same process down the environmental route because I now work in a sector which leans heavily towards that.

I hope that helps you decide  on what you need to do, but ultimately it is an individual choice and my path would not fit with everyone.

chris42  
#3 Posted : 28 February 2019 09:40:01(UTC)
chris42

jaybhatia

Have you noticed some of your recent posts have spam links in them ! your computer may be infected.

George_Young  
#4 Posted : 28 February 2019 13:35:58(UTC)
George_Young

Something is not right with this post, the exact same was posted on the 19th of February, by a different user

http://forum.iosh.co.uk/posts/t128029-Courses-which-order

Edited by user 28 February 2019 13:36:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UncleFester  
#5 Posted : 01 March 2019 07:37:03(UTC)
UncleFester

Originally Posted by: George_Young Go to Quoted Post

Something is not right with this post, the exact same was posted on the 19th of February, by a different user

http://forum.iosh.co.uk/posts/t128029-Courses-which-order

I thought it seemed familiar....

hilary  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2019 10:36:09(UTC)
hilary

I wondered where my posts had gone !!!