Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bazzer  
#1 Posted : 12 March 2019 13:04:44(UTC)
Bazzer

A client has a manufacturing business where he makes wood products. He uses general wookworking machines, saws, CNC machiens, edgebanders etc. They also dispense and spray hazardous and flammable liquids. Having done a FA assessment,  I have recommended 2 full first aider, to cover for holidays and sickness. He want to have 4-7 emergency first aiders. There are 12 in the workshop and 4 in the office. What are your views 

jwk  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2019 13:14:11(UTC)
jwk

Why would you ever need half your workforce to be emergency 1st Aiders? I can see the logic of more than one to account for holidays and so on, but I would have thought on that basis that two would be enough, three at most,

John

Bazzer  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2019 13:22:42(UTC)
Bazzer

John

The director was having them trained on site so could do more at the same cost. Becasue the possible nature of the injuries I proposed 3day trained first aiders that could cover a larger range of injuries such as eye injuries and chemical injuries, which the EFAW course doesnt cover

George_Young  
#4 Posted : 12 March 2019 13:23:35(UTC)
George_Young

I would have to agree with JWK, 3 first aiders would be my suggestion, in case first aider 1 is on leave and first aider 2 is ill.

In my place of work we have 55 employees, we have 4 first aiders and 3 emergency first aiders, but this is too because we operate between 5 am to 6 pm and ensures that we are covered at all times.

But I suppose you have to give your client credit for not shooting you down and accepting that first aid cover is needed 

Edited by user 12 March 2019 13:24:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bazzer  
#5 Posted : 12 March 2019 13:40:44(UTC)
Bazzer

Its whether EFAW (1 day) or FAW (3 day) is more appropriate for the risks and possible injuries involved

Kate  
#6 Posted : 12 March 2019 14:24:41(UTC)
Kate

The one day emergency course is only suitable for low risk environments like offices.  For the activities you describe, you need fully qualified first aiders.  I don't have time to check just now, but I'm sure there is something to this effect on the HSE's first aid pages.

Bazzer  
#7 Posted : 12 March 2019 15:14:25(UTC)
Bazzer

Thanks Kate, exactly what I thought; I looked on the HSE and they say it should be determined by risk and the possible types of injury. The fact that the employees are operating machinery that if not used correctly could cause major injury, then we have a couple of employees with diabetes, and other ailments. So the full 3 day course. Again thanks everyone for your advice

Acorns  
#8 Posted : 12 March 2019 21:21:10(UTC)
Acorns

On a minor tangent, if you are looking to do it on site to be cost effective, guessing your premises may be on an estate, would you consider sharing the course to some neighbours to cover 1 or more of your team?  It may also provide a bit of resilience for leave etc

Bazzer  
#9 Posted : 12 March 2019 21:54:51(UTC)
Bazzer

Good idea, the factory is in an estate surrounded by several businesses, will suggest it
stevedm  
#10 Posted : 13 March 2019 15:51:55(UTC)
stevedm

The assessment that you have completed will tell you about whether you need a FAW or EFAW...the legislation/guidance does not tell you that EFAW is only for office environments!

If you look at the table in Appendix 3 of L74 for less than 5 people even in high hazard environment you only need an appointed person...wrightly or wrongly that is the guidance.  In you audit of the risks as part of the assessment you can recommend better...but it is just your recommendation not a requirement. Don't forget the chemical risks in you assessment as there are enhancement courses required for some chemicals...

I think it is a good idea that he wants to train more and not to be dismissed the more that are aware of first aid will help to change the overall culture of the organisation too...

Bazzer  
#11 Posted : 13 March 2019 20:09:02(UTC)
Bazzer

The table in appendix 3 helps, and with more than 5 employees recommends a FAW Oor EFAW, so with possible injuries being electrocution, amputations major injuries, the question I need to answer is whether 6 or more EFAW TRAINED OR 2 or 3 FAW trained. Advantage of EFAW trained would increase awareness and provide help for major injuries: abvantage of FAW trained would provide additional help for people with specific illnesses e.g. diabetes, severe burnes, scolds, asthma etc.
aud  
#12 Posted : 14 March 2019 08:58:23(UTC)
aud

Another consideration would be location and accessibility of medical assistance. Is the local A&E just round the corner, or is the business in the middle of nowhere with distant facilities and an anticipated 20 - 30 minute wait / journey time.

Mark-W  
#13 Posted : 17 March 2019 11:15:37(UTC)
Mark-W

The charity I worked for had a target of 100% compliance. All front line staff who dealt directly with clients were FAW, all others were EFAW.  Nice earner for me. I had no input over the decision as to how many were trained. But it was comforting to know that almost everyone employed could help if needed