Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
strawblk  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2019 09:26:55(UTC)
strawblk

Hi

I received my unit A result last week and unfortunately received a mark of 43, pass mark is 45. Has anyone had their test paper remarked and actually gained the extra marks to get a pass or is it a waste of time trying?

Thanks

redspelly  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2019 13:27:20(UTC)
redspelly

I got the same mark for unit b a couple of years ago and went down the EAR route.  I received the remark approx 10 days before the next exam and they had indeed upped my mark - but only by 1% which meant i was still 1% short of the pass.  Its worth doing in my opinion, but dont rely on getting the pass and continue to study just in case that you have to resit the exam.  

Clark34486  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2019 09:59:04(UTC)
Clark34486

NEBOSH will always state that they mark then have it rechecked, they always state that they tend to award marks in a positive manner therefore they often take marks away rather than mark upwards!!EAR is a money making exercise

PIKEMAN  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2019 15:25:45(UTC)
PIKEMAN

As a NEBOSH Dip and Cert teacher, I have seen this a few times (obviously not often as all my students pass!!!)

If you are at 42 or above I think it is worth doing. In my experience about half of EARs succeed.

George_Young  
#5 Posted : 02 April 2019 21:00:15(UTC)
George_Young

I fell short by 2 marks, but decided on a resist 1 week before I got the resit results, I received an email from NEBOSH stating that my original results were incorrect and I had in fact passed. I got my fees back for the resit. If I was to ever sit another NEBOSH exam I would consider the EAR if I was a few marks off, purely because of past experience
JL  
#6 Posted : 03 April 2019 07:07:58(UTC)
JL

I had the same result for my unit A (43) and sent in a EAR and had it returned with 45 points, it was an acceptable result for me but just be warned it may come back with a lessor score. 

Philter  
#7 Posted : 03 April 2019 08:43:46(UTC)
Philter

I had a the very same result a few years ago, I completed the EAR process where they took two marks off me. So I echo the thinking of continuing with the revision as if its a refer and if it comes back with a pass after the process its a bonus.

Good luck either way

WatsonD  
#8 Posted : 04 April 2019 11:04:22(UTC)
WatsonD

If it comes back with a pass they should give you a refund. It is their mistake and they should not profit from this.

bunster  
#9 Posted : 04 April 2019 14:03:11(UTC)
bunster

I think thats what happens. If the EAR is succesful a full refund of the EAR fee is issued.

thanks 1 user thanked bunster for this useful post.
WatsonD on 05/04/2019(UTC)
WatsonD  
#10 Posted : 05 April 2019 10:40:26(UTC)
WatsonD

Originally Posted by: bunster Go to Quoted Post

I think thats what happens. If the EAR is succesful a full refund of the EAR fee is issued.

Thanks Bunster. I should think so an' all!

Elbailer  
#11 Posted : 07 April 2019 15:04:44(UTC)
Elbailer

There can be a few % mark swing between markers, so if you are close to the pass mark (within 2 or 3 marks) then an EAR is worth considering.  It is a gamble, but if succesful, you obtain your EAR fee back.  If you have already registered for the resit, you will receive this fee back as well (unless you want to resit to improve your marks).  You will most likely have booked your resit while you are waiting to hear back from your EAR so you will have paid out a fair amount over a short period. 

Also note that your mark can go down or stay the same on a re-mark.  If you are more than 2 or 3 marks away from the pass mark, then don't consider an EAR and spend your time and money on a resit.

toe  
#12 Posted : 14 April 2019 22:43:58(UTC)
toe

Originally Posted by: Elbailer Go to Quoted Post

There can be a few % mark swing between markers, so if you are close to the pass mark (within 2 or 3 marks) then an EAR is worth considering.  It is a gamble, but if succesful, you obtain your EAR fee back.  If you have already registered for the resit, you will receive this fee back as well (unless you want to resit to improve your marks).  You will most likely have booked your resit while you are waiting to hear back from your EAR so you will have paid out a fair amount over a short period. 

The strange thing about NEBOSH is your results are not capped, i.e. you can fail and then resit and gain a distinction on the resit. As stated above you can improve your marks.