Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Karthick  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2018 07:27:10(UTC)
Karthick

Hi everyone,

I have just completed UNIT DNI with 74/100. I struggled for good advice when I did it so I thought I could help anyone out there. I'll do my best to resolve your queries.

Edited by user 17 September 2018 07:28:27(UTC)  | Reason: Grammatical error

Karthick  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2018 11:56:04(UTC)
Karthick

Hey guys, post your queries in public forum so that others can also take a look at your queries and it may help them.

stokie  
#3 Posted : 05 November 2018 15:56:17(UTC)
stokie

Hi, I've had an issue with DNI, our tutor was appaling and wouldn't look at my plan because he said that would be plagarism, he didn't respond to emails etc...

My first submission I failed by 4 marks, with the issue being with the evaluation of improvements being the issues. The review and critical analysis of arrangements were all 4s and 3s. I resubmitted making changes to the evaluation and the risk profile, all these scores increased but then I was marked down on the critical analysis section to 2s, so it still didn't pass. After going through complaints with them they said basically dismissed it so I paid for a remark of the same paper. The risk profile went up by 2 marks but the leadership section went down to a 1. How can the marking be so wildly different????

I'm so frustrated, any guidance would be greatfully received. 

mgraham  
#4 Posted : 15 November 2018 10:24:35(UTC)
mgraham

Hi, I've passed all my exams and am about to start Unit DNI, I've heard so many horror stories about this. Could you give me some practical advice (I've read the NEBOSH guidance and its very generic) on how to complete the report? Some real guidance from someone who actually passed and with a good score would help immensely. Thanks in advance and thanks for taking the time to offer advice too.

Mark

ramzihse  
#5 Posted : 20 November 2018 08:15:53(UTC)
ramzihse

Originally Posted by: Karthick Go to Quoted Post

Hi everyone,

I have just completed UNIT DNI with 74/100. I struggled for good advice when I did it so I thought I could help anyone out there. I'll do my best to resolve your queries.

Hi Everyone;

Congrats Karthik for scoring 74 on your unit DNI assignment.

I'm doing Unit DNI also and Im kinda hitting a brick wall, the guidance is very generic and not helpful at all, so I will be very grateful if any one of you gives me a hint on how to start and how to structure the report, is gap analyses needed for the core element??.

Ramzi

Karthick  
#6 Posted : 30 December 2018 10:11:11(UTC)
Karthick

ramzihse

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply.. Kinda not used to iosh forums.

Thanks a ton man..

Guidance document is your best friend until the end of the assignment.. To answer your question, yes it is required as the points direct you towards it.

​​​​​​​Happy new year in advance and good luck.

Karthick  
#7 Posted : 30 December 2018 10:16:32(UTC)
Karthick

ramzihse

Sorry for the late reply, not used to this forum and it's so tough to understand this!

Thanks man

The guidance doc is your best friend till the end of this assignment.. To answer your question, yes it is required and the points direct you towards it anyway.

Happy new year in advance

Cheers

Karthick  
#8 Posted : 30 December 2018 10:21:58(UTC)
Karthick

The marking section is mentioned in the guidance document below and there is a 5% variation which is in the discretion of the evaluator so it's subjective..

Start a fresh assignment, that would be my advice.

Happy new year in advance

Cheers.

Originally Posted by: stokie Go to Quoted Post

Hi, I've had an issue with DNI, our tutor was appaling and wouldn't look at my plan because he said that would be plagarism, he didn't respond to emails etc...

My first submission I failed by 4 marks, with the issue being with the evaluation of improvements being the issues. The review and critical analysis of arrangements were all 4s and 3s. I resubmitted making changes to the evaluation and the risk profile, all these scores increased but then I was marked down on the critical analysis section to 2s, so it still didn't pass. After going through complaints with them they said basically dismissed it so I paid for a remark of the same paper. The risk profile went up by 2 marks but the leadership section went down to a 1. How can the marking be so wildly different????

Originally Posted by: ramzihse Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Karthick Go to Quoted Post

Hi everyone,

Hi Everyone;

Congrats Karthik for scoring 74 on your unit DNI assignment.

I'm doing Unit DNI also and Im kinda hitting a brick wall, the guidance is very generic and not helpful at all, so I will be very grateful if any one of you gives me a hint on how to start and how to structure the report, is gap analyses needed for the core element??.

Ramzi

Originally Posted by: mgraham Go to Quoted Post

Hi, I've passed all my exams and am about to start Unit DNI, I've heard so many horror stories about this. Could you give me some practical advice (I've read the NEBOSH guidance and its very generic) on how to complete the report? Some real guidance from someone who actually passed and with a good score would help immensely. Thanks in advance and thanks for taking the time to offer advice too.

Mark

Karthick  
#9 Posted : 30 December 2018 10:25:39(UTC)
Karthick

mgraham

Congrats on passing them all man.. Don't listen to horror stories man, it freaks you out for no reason..

Guidance document- till the end of this assignment, that's your best friend.. Come back to me with anything specific and I'll do my best to help

Elbailer  
#10 Posted : 16 January 2019 20:50:12(UTC)
Elbailer

I've passed all four units.

There is helpful guidance available for the NEBOSH Unit DNI assignment (also known as the Application of Health and Safety Management in the Workplace) from their website.  They also provide a exemplar assignment and marking scheme for students (which you should get from our course provider).  I have other information available - just PM me for details.

mdenver  
#11 Posted : 03 February 2019 20:07:09(UTC)
mdenver

Originally Posted by: Elbailer Go to Quoted Post

There is helpful guidance available for the NEBOSH Unit DNI assignment (also known as the Application of Health and Safety Management in the Workplace) from their website.  They also provide a exemplar assignment and marking scheme for students (which you should get from our course provider).  I have other information available - just PM me for details.

Hi. I'm just about to start my DNI. Do you have a link to the example DNI assignment please?I can't find it anywhere

Gareid19  
#12 Posted : 08 February 2019 14:53:50(UTC)
Gareid19

Originally Posted by: stokie Go to Quoted Post

I submitted my DNI assignment in November and I am awaiting the results, I'm dreading it to be honest having heard all the horror stories and EARs being requested. Do you get the break-down of the marking when making the request?

I used the guidance as best I could but I found it contradicted itself quite a lot. How are you to provide evidence for the report, that can't be for the real work place, just based on the workplace, not from the workplace but also has to support your findings in the report? In my opinion that makes it a work of fiction and not a real, practical assignment as you are manipulating the results to suit yourself. I would have thought using real life examples and case studies, writing a report on these, would be a better way to gauge the understanding of a Health and Safety professional and show how to write a report on the findings.

When I spoke to my tutor about appendices, I was told keep it brief as the markers won’t want too much reading (if you've got this far into my rant you'll know keeping it brief was a challenge for me). If you don't provide decent evidence in appendices, how can you get a decent mark? Again, contradicting information.

My other and final bug bear is it is to be written as though the report is going to the Directors of a company, yet it is to be written so that anyone can understand the report, in plain English. Surely if it is to go to the Directors, then it should be written for a Director in that industry and not just for anyone? Surely a NEBOSH marker should be able to understand H&S roles in varying industries and be able to mark it subjectively.

Anyway, fingers crossed as the results are due by next Friday.

Elbailer  
#13 Posted : 11 February 2019 19:57:37(UTC)
Elbailer

Once your DNI is marked, you will receive a break down of marks for each section, so that you will know where you have gained/lost marks.  Your DNI should be based on real workplace and you should have used real examples.

Katrop  
#14 Posted : 12 February 2019 13:25:19(UTC)
Katrop

Originally Posted by: Elbailer Go to Quoted Post

Karthick  
#15 Posted : 16 February 2019 19:12:49(UTC)
Karthick

Gareid19

i have no idea how to send reply to you as this forum is still getting the better of me. Whoever said that markers don't like to read a lot has no idea what they are talking about. You'd rather write everything you want to instead of missing out on stuff just to fit it within the word count. Don't worry about that at all. trust me. For example, if you have written about oil and gas, there are certain aspects of it any HSE professional would understand but don't go into deep technical stuff which to be honest, the director of a company himself won't understand as he's probably not the technical guy. Anyway, good luck on friday. Fingers crossed for you. Hope you clear it buddy

KC Wong  
#16 Posted : 03 May 2019 03:41:05(UTC)
KC Wong

I have got the result of dni, got a referred grade (39/100).  But I cannot find the marks breakdown.  Can anyone tell me how to get the marks breakdown.  I want to know which parts I need to improve.

The workplace I chosen is freighter cargo warehouse, 3 improvements are:

1. mobile equipment transport safety management

2. contractor management

3. hot working environment of the warehouse

Is this an appropriate ways to write this industry and these 3 improvements