Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chris42  
#1 Posted : 27 September 2019 12:34:25(UTC)
chris42

I have been visiting all our sites over the last few weeks and so have been bombarded by lots of questions as always (they seem to save them up).

Would any of you kind people be able to confirm some fire related issues for me.

1. Our subcontractors we use for fire alarm service etc has said we need to install double pole isolators for the fire alarm. Now my understanding this was a requirement when fitting new (not existing) alarms in BS5839. However, I thought that was taken away in the 2017 version. (we have not had a new alarm fitted anyway, but they still are insisting it is required).  Am I correct in thinking it is not required?          
  2. They are also stating that all our call points need anti tamper covers. However, we do not have children (not age wise anyway) or others at our sites that might set off the alarm deliberately. We have not to my knowledge in the last 6 years had any false alarms etc. Again, I don’t think this is compulsory from my investigations again I don’t have a copy of BS5839, however I understand that in section 20 it suggests new installations have them, that does not mean that retro fitting existing ones are required, correct?

We have become a little weary of some of the things these “experts” are telling us, as they seem to be on a mission to upsell as many things as they can. So, if anyone can confirm what I believe, I would appreciate it or indeed say it is an absolute requirement.

Thanks

Chris

SBH  
#2 Posted : 27 September 2019 13:44:01(UTC)
SBH

Firstly the BS is not a legal requirement, it is guidance

Call point covers are usually installed simply to protect against false alarm activations, it is definately not a requirement.

With changes in standards, I believe an isolator switch is now recommended however it is my understanding it is not retrospective

SBH

thanks 1 user thanked SBH for this useful post.
chris42 on 27/09/2019(UTC)
Messey  
#3 Posted : 30 September 2019 07:41:04(UTC)
Messey

The change in the 2017 BS was (IMO) the BSI recognising or appeasing a Govt drive to reduce false alarms - and in particular - those where the fire service are called. With 44% of fire service turn outs being false alarms, its laudible that HMG should have a strategy to reduce those calls.

But a FRA is supposed to be about life safety. A bespoke document which allows different measures to be adopted based on the risks present. Its not about meeting Govt targets on reducing false alarms. Of course, considering false alarms is required during a FRA, but primarily to prevent those in the building getting false alarm fatigue and ignoring or delaying action as its bout to be a waste of time.

So as SBH has said, they are not a requirement but are sensible measures if the risk of malicious activations s high or accidental breakage is likely. Having a site where there have been no false alarms for six years doesnt appear to meet that criteria.

I recently performed a FRA on a site who had removed the link from MCPs by building exits to the fire alarm system. Instead, they sound a local alarm in a security office which is manned 24/7. All other MCPs work as usual and there was a sound and recorded business case for making this variation that has been signed off by an enforcement team.

The reason for mentioning this is that a BS is a recommendation of best practice but does not need to be complied with if the measure doesnt work for that particular building. 

Always be suspicious when a fire alarm or fire extinguisher company give advice that you need more. The truth so often is that they need more - of your cash

thanks 3 users thanked Messey for this useful post.
chris42 on 30/09/2019(UTC), A Kurdziel on 30/09/2019(UTC), SJP on 02/10/2019(UTC)