Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
andrewjb1  
#1 Posted : 15 October 2019 14:53:31(UTC)
andrewjb1

Good Afternoon

Im putting a presentation together with regards to educational trips and visits for Schools and Colleges and ensuring staff are manageing these properly, does have anyone have any links to case law, i have the Glenridding case but im looking for other examples of prosecutions and information about having suitable and sufficient risk assessments in place that reflect the activities. 

Many thanks

Zyggy  
#2 Posted : 15 October 2019 19:03:20(UTC)
Zyggy

Andrew, can I suggest that you Google "Fairway Primary School Offerton Prosecution"? This will lead to a number of newspaper reports regarding a school trip that ended up with the Headteacher; Chair of Governors + a 1st year teacher in the Crown Court. The existence of a Risk Assessment played a great part in not guilty verdicts for all involved, but in my opinion (& that of the judge & jury) it should never have gone to Court. The impact on the personal lives of all three defendants was quite significant & I have often used this case when I carry out any RA training, especially for schools. If the Headteacher was present at any of my sessions I always asked her to stand up & recount her experiences - it was very powerful.
thanks 1 user thanked Zyggy for this useful post.
andrewjb1 on 16/10/2019(UTC)
Reading21789  
#3 Posted : 16 October 2019 16:07:56(UTC)
Reading21789

Hi Andrew

There are less prosecutions than actual incidents of things going wrong on school visits which is more common than you might like to think. I would focus on them as much as actual prosecutions. I use them to bring out discussions about how things might have been done differently and the tradegys avoided.

This BBC link below shows some fatality examples:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33634567

Telegraph has Drayton Manor fatality:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/10/drayton-manor-theme-park-girl-11-standing-boat-hit-rock-friends/

The newspapers are a source of examples.

Hope this gives you some food for thought!

thanks 1 user thanked Reading21789 for this useful post.
andrewjb1 on 22/10/2019(UTC)
grim72  
#4 Posted : 17 October 2019 07:34:42(UTC)
grim72