Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
H Maryam  
#1 Posted : 16 October 2019 07:58:33(UTC)
H Maryam

Hi, we are a small engineering business with under 30 employees and 2 trained FAW. With the festive period coming and people also wanting to take their remaining annual leave during winter, both first aiders have lots of holidays left to take. From a legal standpoint can both first aiders be off at the same time? Especiallly in the run up to xmas 23 and 24th December will be v lean periods in terms of employees at work. Additionaly, fridays are half working days and sometimes both first aiders want to take them off.  We have a workshop and all sorts of engineering equipment so i would consider that as high risk. However, we also have other employees who had FAW training and were first aiders before (certificates expired). We are located within a densely populated business estate and emergency services are not far. I would like to know from a legal standpoint please so I can notify management and decide a course of action for future.

CptBeaky  
#2 Posted : 16 October 2019 08:33:21(UTC)
CptBeaky

There is no legal requirement to have a first aider, but you will be screwed if you have an accident and couldn't show "adequate and appropriate" first aid provisions were available (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong). The "1 per 50 plus 1 for cover" is just a guideline. Basically I would be looking to document your provisions should your 1st aiders not be available (such as, who is now responsible for contacting the emergency services etc.) and then check to see if you have a sufficient action plan in place. If not look at what you need to do to improve it and work from there.

In actuality you might want to consider putting one of your other employees on a refresher, you can normally find room on a course near to you within a 2 week time frame.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
H Maryam on 16/10/2019(UTC)
George_Young  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2019 13:19:35(UTC)
George_Young

if it was me, and due to the nature of engineering tasks, I would be looking at adding at least 1 more first aider in general

What happens if 1 first aider is on annual leave and the other goes on sick leave?

thanks 1 user thanked George_Young for this useful post.
H Maryam on 21/10/2019(UTC)
ttxela  
#4 Posted : 17 October 2019 14:23:04(UTC)
ttxela

I'd look to get a couple more first aiders trained. Placing restrictions on when people can take their holiday is a big disincentive to being a first aider so I'd avoid that if at all possible.

thanks 1 user thanked ttxela for this useful post.
nic168  
#5 Posted : 17 October 2019 15:26:18(UTC)
nic168

What about running a Emergency First Aid at Work Course in house, its 1 day usually 12 persons per course. It may lure some of your expired FAW type back as as boost your pool of first aiders. 

I facilitated one here for similar reasons to you- big gaps in the rota- They all loved it even those who were pressed into it through work requirements. Within a month of the 3 of the 10 had to put their new skills into practice.

thanks 1 user thanked nic168 for this useful post.
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 17 October 2019 20:50:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

Appointed Persons? No formal training required, know where the kit is, how to top up, recording incidents and phoning for professional help in the event of an incident. Something that can be equally handled by the MD or the site cleaner pretty sure you could find one person out of those in attendance over the period. Hilariously most H&S bods could be Appointed Persons especially during unusual periods such as the scenario you describe.
thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
H Maryam on 21/10/2019(UTC), H Maryam on 21/10/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 17 October 2019 20:50:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

Appointed Persons? No formal training required, know where the kit is, how to top up, recording incidents and phoning for professional help in the event of an incident. Something that can be equally handled by the MD or the site cleaner pretty sure you could find one person out of those in attendance over the period. Hilariously most H&S bods could be Appointed Persons especially during unusual periods such as the scenario you describe.
thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
H Maryam on 21/10/2019(UTC), H Maryam on 21/10/2019(UTC)