Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chris_Clifford  
#1 Posted : 31 October 2019 19:27:15(UTC)
Chris_Clifford

First post so please be gentle !

I recently completed the NCRQ Diploma,  IOSH membership and CPD are new to me as it has never been a requirement in my manufacuring management positions so I am interested in the pros/cons of membership. 

Looking for some advice on future courses to obtain a fully rounded comprehesive general consultancy type knowledge and CMIOSH membership. I'm considering the ISO 45001 Lead auditor course and a NEBOSH Enviromental Cert to round my knowledge or  do I dive into the MSc Safety and Risk Strathclyde Uni. I am self funded and working full time so value for money and distance learning are high on the agenda, (I know the ISO 45001 can't be done via distance learning - or so I'm told). Recommendations on these or indeed other courses that are considered valuable in the marketplace greatly appreciated. 

thanks 1 user thanked Chris_Clifford for this useful post.
mihai_qa on 03/11/2019(UTC)
mihai_qa  
#2 Posted : 03 November 2019 06:53:22(UTC)
mihai_qa

Hi Chris,

Why not put to good use your background in manufacturing and take a CFM or a CMI leadership/strategy diploma (this is what I'm currently doing). There can be too much safety and it's easy to get carried away (I know I have).

ISO 45001 is great to have but do you intend to consult/audit on it? The same thing with Environment. What would be your target industries? 

The biggest value from my membership (again, personal point of view) is the availability of peer advice, being part of a "tribe", if you will. The level of support on these forums has been fantastic.

I said it before, I treat CPD as a personal professional journal. It worked out great for me as I can follow on short/long term personal goals and stick to my own objectives. I never did care about professional bodies but it seems you're no longer relevant if you're not part of one.

I've decided to stop a Master's I was enrolled onto, I feel I just can't get anymore Safety and decided to hone some other skills.

So far I've finished: Nebosh IGC, Oil and Gas, PSM, Fire (In dec), BSC level 6 Diploma, ISO 45001/14001/9001 lead auditor and a couple of others. Do I regret taking them? No. Do I feel I need more OHS? Not really.

Whatever decision you take, make sure it's worth the money you spend on it. I've self funded also.

thanks 1 user thanked mihai_qa for this useful post.
Chris_Clifford on 03/11/2019(UTC)
hilary  
#3 Posted : 04 November 2019 08:35:10(UTC)
hilary

I feel that if you are going for a rounded approach then the Environmental Certificate would be a boon.  There is a lot of overlap between health and safety and environmental and, therefore, it would be beneficial.

If you're going for consultancy you probably don't need ISO45001 lead auditor course, unless you want to become a lead auditor, then, obviously, you do.

A lot of organisations need H&S and E so I would go for a qualification in E.

Chris_Clifford  
#4 Posted : 04 November 2019 13:22:31(UTC)
Chris_Clifford

hilary,

Many thanks for the advice, I am leaning towards some sort of environmental course as you highlight it appears many roles request H S and the E. 

peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 10 November 2019 11:34:01(UTC)
peter gotch

Chris

Hilary's advice is good in my view, if you feel a need to do anything else at this stage.

Nothing to stop you auditing without doing an ISO 45001 course, unless your internal or external client requires it.

I did lots of external auditing before we reached a situation where a major client decided they wanted people to have done an accredited course. We compromised and put 20 people though an IRCA accredited OHSAS 18001 Lead Auditor course, (well before someone thought of ISO 45001!!) sharing the costs of the time and fees. We DIDN'T follow that up by applying to be included on the IRCA list of accredited auditors which we didn't see as adding value.

Edited by user 10 November 2019 11:35:41(UTC)  | Reason: Belated reference to 45001

Chris_Clifford  
#6 Posted : 10 November 2019 17:35:42(UTC)
Chris_Clifford

Peter,

Thanks for the post, I am currently looking at the NEBOSH Environmental Certificate as a grounding, so I would welcome any advice from anybody that has completed it before I commit.   Looking at a few position adverts a high number of them call for OHSAS 18001 or ISO 45001 internal or lead auditing qualifications hence mentioning in my origional post, however if the view is it isn't really required for fully rounded knowledge then I will be guided by the view of experienced IOSH members. 

inspector Gadget  
#7 Posted : 20 January 2020 10:21:48(UTC)
inspector Gadget

As you are looking for 'progression' doing a course on ISO45001 is utterly pointless unless the company you want to work for in the future actually uses the system.

My advice, do other courses, let the company pay for their own management system training.... otherwise it's a bit like spending years learning German... then going off to live in France!

Chris_Clifford  
#8 Posted : 22 January 2020 19:48:48(UTC)
Chris_Clifford

Inspector Gadget : Thanks for the input.

Not being one to let the grass grow under foot I enrolled in the NEBOSH Environmental Management Cert to, at least, gain some environmental knowledge (Must say that though -  I much rather prefer the NCRQ teaching method to NEBOSH). The plan after completing this cert will be to chase the CMIOSH !!! 

SammyK  
#9 Posted : 23 January 2020 12:04:15(UTC)
SammyK

Had you ever considered looking at the IEMA Environmental courses? they are meant to be VERY good

Chris_Clifford  
#10 Posted : 23 January 2020 21:48:34(UTC)
Chris_Clifford

I looked at the IEMA course and I agree it appears really good  however being self funded the NEBOSH Env Cert was almost half the cost.