Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MarcusWik  
#1 Posted : 06 December 2019 20:15:32(UTC)
MarcusWik

Can anyone provide some examples of how to calculate the maximum allowed quantity of Class 1 (explosives) for carriage on an Ex/II and Ex/III transport unit?

I'm referring to section 7.5.5.2.1 in the ADR ( https://adrbook.com/en/2017/ADR/7.5.5.2.1 ).

I guess it's pretty straightforward as long as there are only substances belonging to one division and compatibility group on the transport unit.

But when there are multiple ones, the wording is quite fuzzy and comfusing:

Where substances and articles of different divisions of Class 1 are loaded on one transport unit in conformity with the prohibitions of mixed loading contained in 7.5.2.2, the load as a whole shall be treated as if it belonged to the most dangerous division (in the order 1.1, 1.5, 1.2, 1.3, 1.6, 1.4).

First, the table in section 7.5.

MarcusWik  
#2 Posted : 06 December 2019 20:48:19(UTC)
MarcusWik

I accidentally pressed "POST" before I was finished, and for some reason I can't edit the post.

For example, let's say I have 4000kg classified as 1.2 and 500kg classified as 1.5. The maximum amount for 1.2 is 3000kg, but because 1.5 is "more dangerous" than 1.2, the whole load should be treated as 4500 kg classified as 1.5, which is within the limit of 5000 kg for 1.5. This doesn't make any sense - if I unload the 500kg of 1.5 I am over the limit!

Obviously I must be making some mistake, because it simply makes no sense that the maximum allowed amount can increase when loading more explosives on the transport unit...