Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
trapale  
#1 Posted : 04 January 2020 14:20:58(UTC)
trapale

OLA 1957 and 1984

SNS  
#2 Posted : 04 January 2020 23:53:13(UTC)
SNS

Originally Posted by: trapale Go to Quoted Post

OLA 1957 and 1984

Are you asking a question or stating random references? Google is a reasonable source of information, or your course tutor.

thanks 1 user thanked SNS for this useful post.
webstar on 06/01/2020(UTC)
peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2020 11:59:34(UTC)
peter gotch

Trapale

Assuming you are based in Great Britain, and presumably in England or Wales of the basis of your reference to the Occupier's Liability Acts that appy there, then the first point is that most civil law is not defined by legislation such as the OLAs.

Your starting point might be to consider the duty towards your neighbour, with the leading judgment being Donoghue v Stevenson, the "Paisley Snail" case. You can probably find a video about this somewhere on the internet.

Clark34486  
#4 Posted : 07 January 2020 15:50:00(UTC)
Clark34486

The revision to OLA from 57- 84 has nothing to do with Donoghue v Stevenson (neighbour principle)

The case law you are looking for in this instance is- British Railways Board v's Herrington (duties owed to tresspassers) This involving a child or accidental tresspass

peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 07 January 2020 19:48:29(UTC)
peter gotch

Clark, agreed but the title of the posting is "Civil Law Duties" with a somewhat enigmatic comment about OLA. If I were studying civil law from an H&S perspective, OLA is not where I would start!

When it comes to OLA, there is also Tomlinson v Congleton Borough Council reinforcing some generally very old case law, mostly from Scotland. Glasgow and Edinburgh in 1907/08 and a more recent case against East of Scotland Water. 

A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2020 11:11:42(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I recommend this book: 1 Law of Tort (Foundation Studies in Law Series) by John Cooke now in its 14th edition which explains everything about duties under civil law including negligence, Ryland’s and Fletcher, OLA 1957 and 1984 and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
SNS on 08/01/2020(UTC)
Dave5705  
#7 Posted : 08 January 2020 16:19:49(UTC)
Dave5705

Tomlinson v Congleton... one of my favourites... "bright yellow brimstone butterflies flutter in grassy meadows..." 

Have we been reduced to shorthand questions since I was here last? OLA 1957 and 1984? Daddy or Chips? Hinge and Bracket? What on earth...