Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scott.commons  
#1 Posted : 23 January 2020 15:39:57(UTC)
scott.commons

Hi All,

Doing a COSHH risks assesment at present, do i need to have each data sheet with checmicals or can this be stored online/server and workers made aware of location of stored documents? seems a waste of paper if sheets need to be with each item. 

Thanks 

Scott 

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 23 January 2020 16:25:00(UTC)
A Kurdziel

A risk assessment under COSHH like any other risk assessment needs to refer to a process or procedure. At best the SDS will give you an indication of the hazards (ie potential) for the substance but the risk depends on what you intent to do with the substance eg if you are using a paint there is a difference  between  painting it on with a roller and spraying it.

Keep the SDS as a reference but treat them with care, about 50% are rubbish anyway (that’s the European Chemicals Agency saying this not just me)

I don’t expect to find them attached to the documentation. That should basically describe what controls you need to apply for the particular process you are doing.  

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
scott.commons on 24/01/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 23 January 2020 21:00:54(UTC)
Roundtuit

So long as your employees are aware of the content of the assessment and how to access them there is no need for a paper copy dotted around the site (goods inward / storage / point of use etc.)

I would however ensure there is a paper copy of an SDS available at the site exit so that if anything does happen someone can take some pertinent information with them to hospital

Unfortunately our National Poisons Centre is still to transition form an advice line for health professionals to a service where all supplier SDS are registered as envisaged under REACH. Brexit will not impact this happening as the legislation is already present.

thanks 1 user thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
scott.commons on 24/01/2020(UTC)