Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Centurion  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2020 14:21:06(UTC)
Centurion

SDP or EOA?

Part of IOSH’s Initial Professional Development statement is:

- You must complete a Skills Development Portfolio (SDP) and/or the Electronic Open assessment exam (EOA)

On what basis do they decide which one or both, as the case may be, that you have to complete?

thanks 1 user thanked Centurion for this useful post.
martin paul jones on 28/01/2020(UTC)
jodieclark1510  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2020 16:02:53(UTC)
jodieclark1510

It depends on the route to GradIOSH- I did the Diploma so I am doing SDP, NVQ routes does open assessment, and I think NCRQ would as well, but i may be wrong.

thanks 2 users thanked jodieclark1510 for this useful post.
Centurion on 28/01/2020(UTC), martin paul jones on 28/01/2020(UTC)
jwk  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2020 09:05:29(UTC)
jwk

One of my team is applying for Chartered status. He has an environmental health degree and has been a local authority inspector. He has been told he has to do both SDP & EOA....

John

thanks 1 user thanked jwk for this useful post.
Centurion on 29/01/2020(UTC)
Centurion  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2020 14:07:32(UTC)
Centurion

Someone has just mentioned to me that following completion of the NCRQ Diploma that they just had to do the SDP. 

thanks 1 user thanked Centurion for this useful post.
martin paul jones on 09/02/2020(UTC)
linda xc  
#5 Posted : 17 February 2020 20:59:27(UTC)
linda xc

Hi

Just think classroom exams, you do the portfolio for IOSH

Porfolio and no exams you do the open assessment for IOSH.

Its a good way to make a level playing field. 

Linda 

biker1  
#6 Posted : 18 February 2020 11:06:04(UTC)
biker1

If you have acheived Graduate status by virtue of an academic qualification, e.g. NEBOSH diploma, you have demonstrated knowledge but not the application of it, so you do an SDP, which is like an NVQ, to demonstrate application of knowledge. Conversely, if you achieved Graduate status via an NVQ, you have demonstrated application but not underpinning knowledge, so you do an open assessment exam. If you achieved Graduate status by virtue of a cognate degree, in other words one that has a large proportion of health and safety but is not all about it, you do both the SDP and the open assessment.

Hope this helps