Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stephen Dinan  
#1 Posted : 03 January 2020 09:18:08(UTC)
Stephen Dinan

Hi.

Has anyone completed the Environmetal Diploma level 6 with SHEilds by distance learning on line?

If so, what was it like? Did you recive good support from the tutors. Any info would be greatly appriciateed.

Lyle.ramsey  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2020 18:37:47(UTC)
Lyle.ramsey

Hi mate, Half way through the Env Dip with SHEILDS at the moment. Just reading through the guidance for NDEM2. To be honest it's a bit of a mixed bag really, they do have a forum for students and they post weekly practice questions for you to answer, which is good for when you need a few to practice on when it comes for your exam. But the materials are a little limited in detail and I used other sources to be honest. My honest opinion is, if you can, find a local course provider as I miss the benefits of having a tutor who I could engage with face to face. I've been waiting since Friday for mine to get back to me, which isn't great to be honest. But to be fair SHEilds are fairly competitive when it comes to price I believe, though remember you'll have to pay for you exam and assignment register. Good luck with whatever you choose mate. Lyle.
thanks 1 user thanked Lyle.ramsey for this useful post.
Stephen Dinan on 21/01/2020(UTC)
Chrishutcheson  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2020 17:02:04(UTC)
Chrishutcheson

I completed it with SHEilds a few years ago, and managed to pass. All the materials and support is there to get you through the exams, but this type of training takes personal committment, as you have to self motivate. By that I mean you have to dedicate time to login in and go through the material and asking questions. If I had the time to do classroom based training that would have been my first choice. Its a good way to do it if distance learning is your only choice.

thanks 2 users thanked Chrishutcheson for this useful post.
Stephen Dinan on 30/01/2020(UTC), Stephen Dinan on 30/01/2020(UTC)
Chrishutcheson  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2020 17:02:04(UTC)
Chrishutcheson

I completed it with SHEilds a few years ago, and managed to pass. All the materials and support is there to get you through the exams, but this type of training takes personal committment, as you have to self motivate. By that I mean you have to dedicate time to login in and go through the material and asking questions. If I had the time to do classroom based training that would have been my first choice. Its a good way to do it if distance learning is your only choice.

thanks 2 users thanked Chrishutcheson for this useful post.
Stephen Dinan on 30/01/2020(UTC), Stephen Dinan on 30/01/2020(UTC)
WatsonD  
#5 Posted : 29 January 2020 17:16:35(UTC)
WatsonD

I have not done the Environmental Diploma with Shields but I did the standard NEBOSH diploma with RRC and they were good. However, I think not matter how much you jazz it up distance learning is really just reading a text book and then going in for an exam.

Theres a few short videos and the opportunity to do a mock exam, but other than that it is reading the textbook. If I didn't have to register through a provider I would have just bought a textbook and revision book and sat the exam and probably got the same result.

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
Stephen Dinan on 30/01/2020(UTC)
peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 31 January 2020 11:37:46(UTC)
peter gotch

IG - will your Post Grad be Fault Analysis Risk Tree, or should you get on your trolley and leave it to those who actually want to help the poster with their studies?