Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
guscastaldi  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2020 13:23:36(UTC)
guscastaldi

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has completed the MSc in Safety, Health and Environmental Manaagement that many Universities are now offering? I am an experienced health and safety professional who has amongst other qualifications the NEBOSH Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety and IEMA Foundation in Environmental Management.  The course modules include Environmental Management, Individual Dissertation, Business Law, Business and Risk Management, Workplace Evaluation and Control, Health and Safety Management & Corporate Responsibility for Managers. Has anyone found this course to be of benefit for furthering your skill set & landing roles? Does the environmental side give you in-depth knowledge which will help you succeed in a lead HSE role (presently limited experience of environmental roles)? IOSH will understandably not give an opinion but if anyone can share their experience, it would be greatly appreciated. If I decide to enrol it's £9k of my own money and a lot of study for 18months!! 

lumusislight  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2020 09:17:38(UTC)
lumusislight

Hi, I think my MSc in Safety, Health and Environmental Management is worth it. I'm currently looking for a good apprenticeship in Wales, but there're no variants (that could be interesting) so far (I've sent an official request to Apprenticeship Training Agency too). One is an Apprentice Technician at Goodrich Aerospace UK Limited, but it's in Wolverhampton.

lumusislight  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2020 09:21:37(UTC)
lumusislight

Originally Posted by: lumusislight Go to Quoted Post

Hi, I think my MSc in Safety, Health and Environmental Management is worth it. I'm currently looking for a good apprenticeship in Wales, but there're no variants (that could be interesting) so far (I've sent an official request to Apprenticeship Training Agency too and had a chance to write my paper applications and filled out a couple of them ). One is an Apprentice Technician at Goodrich Aerospace UK Limited, but it's in Wolverhampton.

I do not regret that I didn't choose the "learning at work" program: Master's degree at the University of Portsmouth, but still I think it could be a better variant for me (in terms of my financial situation).

bxuxa  
#4 Posted : 30 December 2020 00:50:12(UTC)
bxuxa

I do not regret that I didn't choose the "learning at work" program: Master's degree at the University of Portsmouth, but still I think it could be a better variant for me (in terms of my financial situation).

What is the problem with this one? Is one of the that I have over the table.

Meepie  
#5 Posted : 01 June 2023 07:33:41(UTC)
Meepie

Hi, I think my MSc in Safety, Health and Environmental Management is worth it. I'm currently looking for a good apprenticeship in Wales, but there're no Flappy Bird variants (that could be interesting) so far (I've sent an official request to Apprenticeship Training Agency too). One is an Apprentice Technician at Goodrich Aerospace UK Limited, but it's in Wolverhampton.

I just graduated with a degree in Environmental Science. I am wondering if I should study a master's degree in Safety - Health - Environment management? Need advice.

RVThompson  
#6 Posted : 01 June 2023 07:38:08(UTC)
RVThompson

Reported - dodgy link?

thanks 3 users thanked RVThompson for this useful post.
M.cooper.99 on 01/06/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 01/06/2023(UTC), Roundtuit on 01/06/2023(UTC)
knotty  
#7 Posted : 02 June 2023 11:13:38(UTC)
knotty

When I recruit safety professionals, I'm looking for competence, and use the "SKATE" acronym...

Skills - can you demonstrate the skills you have? Done plently of RAs, audits, write docs, investigate accidents?

Knowledge - have you retained enough knowledge from your learning to be able to react appropriately to situations ?

Attitude - is your approach to people right for the role and the organisation? Only interview/observation will clarify this.

Training - this is your certs - you have sufficient to get through the interview/assessment process with your Dip & IEMA

Experience - even if you haven't worked in a  H&S role yet, have you had some expereince - have you contributed in other roles? Have you been exposed to H&S tasks through volunteering etc. 

In my limited expereince and humble opinion, I find demonstrating skills and attitude are the areas that "make or break" a job application/interview. If you need to, focus on these. If you're already a good "all rounder" wanting to build your CV, make sure you work on "real life" HS&E experience as well as academic learning. 

thanks 1 user thanked knotty for this useful post.
bxuxa on 06/06/2023(UTC)
bxuxa  
#8 Posted : 06 June 2023 20:24:34(UTC)
bxuxa

Hello, 

Just finally concluded my Master, and I am adding, to do it mainly for your benefit.

A study of this type does require a level of maturity, time-consuming, and a lot of reading and writing.

All the best.

thanks 1 user thanked bxuxa for this useful post.
peter gotch on 07/06/2023(UTC)