Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pad  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2014 20:32:17(UTC)
pad

In terms of health and safety requirements for schools, colleges and other educational establishments, what legislation is applicable? I assume its still the same legislation that applies to everyday workplaces, factories etc When conducting a risk assessment say for example against each classroom, office etc are you checking for compliance against the workplace regulations as an example
RP  
#2 Posted : 30 October 2014 21:28:08(UTC)
RP

Health and Safety at Work Act applies as does all the legislation under it. also look at the Education Act and Board of Governors roles in health and safety. Although far too many teachers think the HSWA does not apply...but we know different...
thanks 1 user thanked RP for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 25/02/2020(UTC)
andrewjb1  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2014 09:47:45(UTC)
andrewjb1

The same health and safety at work rules apply however, be aware of guidance from other bodies such as OFSTED, eg with fire, it may be necessary to conduct more frequent emergency drills depending on the frequency of the student intake especially in nursery schools. Also there may be separate accident reporting systems for students and staff. Some other frequent issues in schools are falls from height i.e. staff or student climbing on roofs to retrieve balls etc. and falls from stages. Asbestos is often a headline issue and many schools haven't had a fire inspections, many of the building have been altered or had a change of use over the years to accommodate IT suites etc.
SBH  
#4 Posted : 31 October 2014 10:57:32(UTC)
SBH

The Education (School Premises) Regulations 1999 Building Bulletin 100 Fire Safety Order These should also be addressed SBH
teh_boy  
#5 Posted : 31 October 2014 14:25:47(UTC)
teh_boy

kashem  
#6 Posted : 31 October 2014 15:24:33(UTC)
kashem

Hi all, I was going through RIDDOR at school and found that quite a few accidents are not reportable...pl see the link below from HSE website...might be of interest.. http://www.hse.gov.uk/ri...reportable-incidents.htm Thanks. Kashem
creative2  
#7 Posted : 03 November 2014 16:22:48(UTC)
creative2

I have dealt with primary and secondary academies for several years and you will find that most of the regulations deal with employees so the teachers and support staff. In those circumstances it is straight forward to apply the normal H&S requirements as an Academy is a "commercial business". However there are some specific requirements relating to the students, RIDDOR is different for instance and there is regulation from DFE etc as mentioned by others. Be aware that most LEA schools use the local City or County Council H&S provision as they are the responsible authority for H&S within those organisations. PM me if you want more detail.
BJC  
#8 Posted : 03 November 2014 17:27:47(UTC)

The HSE do not generally enforce accidents that children have in school or at least not in my experience. Another very unfortunate state of affairs as there are a great many unnecessary injuries in my opinion. If a fatality were to take place however I am sure it would be a different matter.
bob youel  
#9 Posted : 04 November 2014 08:10:39(UTC)
bob youel

BJC is correct as the HSE do not usually bother e.g. I recently had 5 broken bones and 2 bad finger** accidents of with all were reported however the HSE did not follow up any of the events bad as they were. However where the HSE fails parents & politics do not so civil actions come into play along with the problems that such areas bring [**because of the unique circumstances of what happened the fingers event were reported] NB: These days maintained and similar schools are more and more going away from councils to supply their services And a school can have a good Ofsted report whilst at the same time having very poor H&S
kurtstovall  
#10 Posted : 25 February 2020 08:41:37(UTC)
kurtstovall

Originally Posted by: pad Go to Quoted Post
In terms of health and safety requirements for schools, colleges and other educational establishments, what legislation is applicable? I assume its still the same legislation that applies to everyday workplaces, factories etc When conducting a risk assessment say for example against each classroom, office etc are you checking for compliance against the workplace regulations as an example

Not sure how it can be possible that legislation is the same when educational establishments and factories still have different risks. Chances to get trauma are higher when you work on a factory rather than sit in the office.

proessays

A Kurdziel  
#11 Posted : 25 February 2020 09:50:42(UTC)
A Kurdziel

“Not sure how it can be possible that legislation is the same when educational establishments and factories still have different risks. Chances to get trauma are higher when you work on a factory rather than sit in the office.”

kurtstovall

Obviously you are not UK based! One of the beauties of H&S in the UK is rather than trying to create separate regulations for each sectors, is one Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 that deals with ALL workplaces. Before this act was passed sectors had their own rules: the Factories Act, Offices, Shops and Railway Premises Act etc plus very specific regulations.

The act makes implies and Management of Health and Safety at Work regulations spells out the that the employer is responsible for identifying the risk in THEIR workplace and coming with solution as to how to manage those risks. The HSE oversees the system but it rarely tells people what to do: but that would be too easy!

Edited by user 25 February 2020 09:51:55(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling