Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pilkington20876  
#1 Posted : 29 February 2020 11:42:34(UTC)
Pilkington20876

It become apparant that the focus is to change our chatered status to what end I ask , Im registered on the OSHCR which cost me money and the guidelines state you must be chartered status and maintain CPD and have Insuranceit allows me/you to put Consultant at the end of your name or letter heads,website etc etc 

So why do I see so manny Tech IOSH on linkedin working in the wind sector stating they are HS consultants really IOSH you need to get a grip with this its causing issue to me and other business that have gone through the process or RSP etc etc then paying for the right to have Consultan on our headed paper , profilfe , websites , linked in etc 

Rather than upset the current system go after these people and inform clients of who and what we are rather than water down our core HS profession.

Its time that you really listern to what really is happening and stop trying to make us one hat fits all because a client will only pay for one role and expect you to be a QHSSE which is five roles need I say more 

Thanks 

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 29 February 2020 12:51:16(UTC)
peter gotch

Pilkington.

Suggest you would get more responses if you post on the Members' Forums [you could also delete posting from here if you wish].

Some of your concerns relate to market perception amongst those looking for staff. To some extent beyond IOSH's influence try as it has. 

As regards OHSCR, there's talk of a revamp.

In terms of the proposed membership changes, there hasn't yet been consultation as to how these would benchmark against the 69 competencies set out in IOSH's published Competency framework which has been the subject of extensive discussion in the Members' Forums.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 29 February 2020 20:13:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Unlike other countries where titles such as engineer are protected consultant within the UK is not, and if it were should it not really belong to the medical profession since they pre-date HASAW? Basically anyone who charges someone that is not their direct employer for advice is a consultant and not only in the field of H&S. The HSE register was a joke from the outset - it would have got more traction if a body such as CITB had aligned with it and pushed sector acceptance in the same manner as CSCS cards. Even better you do not need to be a member of iosh or have any formal qualification - the client pays their money and makes their choice some not even checking for professional indemnity

Edited by user 29 February 2020 20:15:22(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 29 February 2020 20:13:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Unlike other countries where titles such as engineer are protected consultant within the UK is not, and if it were should it not really belong to the medical profession since they pre-date HASAW? Basically anyone who charges someone that is not their direct employer for advice is a consultant and not only in the field of H&S. The HSE register was a joke from the outset - it would have got more traction if a body such as CITB had aligned with it and pushed sector acceptance in the same manner as CSCS cards. Even better you do not need to be a member of iosh or have any formal qualification - the client pays their money and makes their choice some not even checking for professional indemnity

Edited by user 29 February 2020 20:15:22(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

Ian Bell2  
#5 Posted : 01 March 2020 19:16:33(UTC)
Ian Bell2

#1 I think you are showing a lack of awareness of the wide range of safety work.

I used to be CMIOSH - but let me membership of IOSH lapse because in the industry/sector of safety I work in, being a member of IOSH/CMIOSH is never asked for - the IOSH qualification simply isn't robust enough/in depth enough to cover many engineering topics.

I work mostly in process safety mostly oil/gas/petro-chemical sector, the recognised typical qualification is a STEM related degree in engineering/chemistry and ofter an MSc.

If you applied for a safety engineering job with only an IOSH Diploma / CMIOSH - I will just about guarantee you wouldn't even get an interview.

As regular readers of these forums are no doubt aware I regularly comment/provide advice on process safety/DSEAR and CDM Principal Designer queries -with hopefully helpful advice / observations. (ok the occasional sarcastic response!!). 

There is much more to safety that IOSH/CMIOSH membership.

thanks 3 users thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
Roundtuit on 01/03/2020(UTC), SNS on 01/03/2020(UTC), JohnW on 02/03/2020(UTC)