Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages«<45678>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
biker1  
#201 Posted : 28 April 2020 14:46:55(UTC)
biker1

It makes me blazing mad, to be honest. Having had one family member with COVID, now recovering, and another in hospital possibly with it, these idiot people need bringing to book. Saw a post about a new scheme for those who don't want to isolate/social distance, where they can do what they want but won't be entitled to any medical treatment. It is called 'Totally Withhold All Treatment', and they would be required to have the initials on a badge or tattoo, so we all know to avoid them.

thanks 2 users thanked biker1 for this useful post.
Mark-W on 28/04/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC)
Mark-W  
#202 Posted : 28 April 2020 14:59:10(UTC)
Mark-W

Just refreshing myself on Govt advice about social distancing and it struck me that they've spent a huge sum of money trnalsating the documents in Bengali, Cantonese and other foreign words. But the title of the document is still in English, surely if they can read and understand the title of the document they can read and understand the document?

It can't be that hard to understand the mantra of stay 2m apart of you'll [expletive deleted] thyis country up

thanks 2 users thanked Mark-W for this useful post.
webstar on 01/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#203 Posted : 28 April 2020 15:47:01(UTC)
A Kurdziel

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-52440641

Well it seems that I was right; the government has run down its buffer stocks of PPE. The argument that this is a completely new disease and that they could not foresee it does not hold water.

People have ben predicting a large scale outbreak of a new respiratory virus strain for decades. Yes most people guessed it would be a new flu strain but coronavirus are not new (SARS and MERS are coronavirus) and the differences in PPE required is not significant: coronavirus make you cough and the flu makes you sneeze; the risk is still an airborne infection.  The muppets in charge can’t even do a basic risk assessment. Well they can, but the bean counters don’t want to spend the money.

They compare this to a war, well after the last big war there were war crime trials to identify and punish the guilty. Perhaps we need to think about a reckoning once it all quietens down.

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
biker1 on 29/04/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#204 Posted : 28 April 2020 16:44:34(UTC)
Roundtuit

Unfortunately one of the biggest criminals in this "war" does not recognise the court at the Hague.

In the areas they did chose to mobilise (ventilator production, Nightingale hospitals) the requirement for both seem to have been significantly over estimated.

Does question the validity of the modelling that has us all climbing the walls at home (are we suffering from a revenge of the nerds?).

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 29/04/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 29/04/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#205 Posted : 28 April 2020 16:44:34(UTC)
Roundtuit

Unfortunately one of the biggest criminals in this "war" does not recognise the court at the Hague.

In the areas they did chose to mobilise (ventilator production, Nightingale hospitals) the requirement for both seem to have been significantly over estimated.

Does question the validity of the modelling that has us all climbing the walls at home (are we suffering from a revenge of the nerds?).

A Kurdziel on 29/04/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 29/04/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#206 Posted : 29 April 2020 09:42:09(UTC)
biker1

It just gets better and better 'across the pond'. Their vice-president went on a visit to a hospital, and whereas the rules there were for all visitors to wear a mask, and everyone else did so, he chose not to, a decision he has made on other occasions. And this guy is in charge of the coronavirus task force! There is really no hope for them if this is the attitude of their leaders.

thanks 1 user thanked biker1 for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#207 Posted : 29 April 2020 09:47:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

His boss is demanding low paid meat packers stay/return to work despite no OSHA guidance on distancing, no requirement for PPE and employers seemingly indemnified by 1950's legislation.

biker1 on 29/04/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC), biker1 on 29/04/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#208 Posted : 29 April 2020 09:47:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

His boss is demanding low paid meat packers stay/return to work despite no OSHA guidance on distancing, no requirement for PPE and employers seemingly indemnified by 1950's legislation.

biker1 on 29/04/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC), biker1 on 29/04/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#209 Posted : 29 April 2020 11:18:00(UTC)
biker1

Quite so, I read some personal experiences of workers at Smithfield, a leading meat processor, and they were quite horrendous.

Roundtuit  
#210 Posted : 29 April 2020 18:47:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52471208

Kim - have you been asking questions on the Spanish equivalent of iosh?

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#211 Posted : 29 April 2020 18:47:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52471208

Kim - have you been asking questions on the Spanish equivalent of iosh?

RVThompson  
#212 Posted : 30 April 2020 06:55:32(UTC)
RVThompson

A significant rise in traffic now on the daily commute - inevitably a return of the idiot drivers too.

I suppose they have free rein with no apparent control measure?

stevedm  
#213 Posted : 30 April 2020 08:13:51(UTC)
stevedm

...I think it is worthy of note that ECDC still classifies Spain as High risk...even tho' they are letting children out and spraying bleach everywhere!

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
stevedm  
#214 Posted : 30 April 2020 08:17:57(UTC)
stevedm

I will rephrase...which is probably as a result of thier trump like decisions on mass decontam...

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
biker1  
#215 Posted : 30 April 2020 11:42:56(UTC)
biker1

Pictures of traffic jams in London - what the hell is going on? Are all these queuing drivers essential workers? I think not. I don't think the government is getting the message across at the moment, or a lot of idiots are choosing to ignore it. Talk of plans for exit from lockdown has just served to encourage some people to ignore the current precautions on the basis that they will soon be lifted anyway. I think the government should have just announced that there will be no further review of lockdown until June, and that's it. Mixed messages never work well.

Kate  
#216 Posted : 30 April 2020 12:19:08(UTC)
Kate

They are legally obliged to review the restrictions on our civil liberties every three weeks.

In the daily briefings, the ministers have been pretty consistent in saying they don't want to talk about the exit strategy because it would detract from the message about staying at home.

I don't see what more they could have done in terms of communications.

thanks 2 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC), Mark-W on 12/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#217 Posted : 30 April 2020 13:04:16(UTC)
Roundtuit

Inform the devolved assemblies and city mayors to tow the westminster line - this situation does not just affect their individual jurisdictions.

N Hancock on 30/04/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC), N Hancock on 30/04/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#218 Posted : 30 April 2020 13:04:16(UTC)
Roundtuit

Inform the devolved assemblies and city mayors to tow the westminster line - this situation does not just affect their individual jurisdictions.

N Hancock on 30/04/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC), N Hancock on 30/04/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#219 Posted : 30 April 2020 13:53:16(UTC)
biker1

As far as I'm concerned, civil liberties have to take a back seat when people are dying in their thousands and it is a matter of survival.

Stop dangling the carrott by mentioning exit plans.

The army should have been brought in to enforce lockdown as soon as it became apparent that lots of people were ignoring it.

Give the police real powers to enforce lockdown, not just piddling fines.

Find leaders who can inspire the people to pull together and answer straight questions (if that is at all possible given the current crop of no-hopers)

Bring in people who can organise the proverbial in a brewery

Cheeky Me  
#220 Posted : 30 April 2020 14:26:44(UTC)
Cheeky Me

Biker1, my understanding from the government is that non-essential workers should go to work if they are unable to work from home. In addition, the Construction Leadership Council advise that those who need to travel to work should do so in separate vehicles, which will ultimately increase traffic. I haven’t seen the pictures that you refer to but maybe those "queuing drivers" are not just idiots ignoring the messages given out by the government, maybe they are following the advice?  On another note - I agree there are far too many idiots flouting the lockdown rules but when the rules are so conflicting, it’s hard to know what’s allowed and what isn’t. 

Example - You can travel by car to the countryside for exercise as long as the exercise last longer than the travel time. So, I go to the coast, which takes me an hour to get there, and as long as I spend more than an hour strolling along the beach then it’s totally acceptable.

Also, you can go to the hardware store to buy supplies to fix a broken fence panel but you can’t go to buy paint or brushes to decorate a kitchen. The guidance given out is crap, totally bonkers even.

p.s – I have not been out of my house now for 6 long weeks so I’m not trying to defend the muppets still roaming the streets without a care in the world.

thanks 3 users thanked Cheeky Me for this useful post.
webstar on 01/05/2020(UTC), aud on 01/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#221 Posted : 30 April 2020 15:22:54(UTC)
Roundtuit

"I don't believe the polls," the president said. "I believe the people of this country are smart. And I don't think that they will put a man in who's incompetent."

priceless

aud on 01/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC), aud on 01/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#222 Posted : 30 April 2020 15:22:54(UTC)
Roundtuit

"I don't believe the polls," the president said. "I believe the people of this country are smart. And I don't think that they will put a man in who's incompetent."

priceless

aud on 01/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC), aud on 01/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC)
achrn  
#223 Posted : 01 May 2020 06:44:48(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: biker1 Go to Quoted Post

Pictures of traffic jams in London - what the hell is going on? Are all these queuing drivers essential workers? I think not.

There is no law or guidance saying only essential workers should travel. Everyone that still has work and cannot work at home is supposed to be going to work.

Quote:

I don't think the government is getting the message across at the moment,

Agreed - some people apparently think that only essential workers are supposed to be going to work!

thanks 5 users thanked achrn for this useful post.
webstar on 01/05/2020(UTC), Kate on 01/05/2020(UTC), aud on 01/05/2020(UTC), nic168 on 04/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#224 Posted : 01 May 2020 09:23:41(UTC)
biker1

Ok, let me re-phrase this. I am well aware that you can go to work, but only if you can't work from home. It seems strange that four weeks ago, the roads were nearly empty, but now in certain parts of London they're full again with gridlocked traffic. This doesn't add up.

It seems to me that it's only the wet weather we've had in the last few days that has stopped the idiots congregating in parks and sunbathing.

When the majority of people are complying with the lockdown and social distancing, and support it, the complete idiots defying it are putting everyone else at risk. Lockdown means lockdown, otherwise a lot of NHS workers have died for nothing.

The opening of DIY stores has not started well, according to reports and eye-witness evidence, with regards to social distancing and hygiene measures. I just get this uncomfortable feeling that Britain is sneaking out again.

achrn  
#225 Posted : 01 May 2020 09:49:03(UTC)
achrn

Lockdown means lockdown,

That's begging the question.

We aren't in lockdown.  That's just sloppy sound-bite politics crossed with sloppy sound-bite journalism.

We aren't in lockdown.  Everyone that can't work from home should be going to work.  Everyone should be going out and getting their daily exercise. (In each case, apart from a small proportion of particularly vulnerable individuals and potentially their immediate circle).

Four weeks ago a lot of employers shut down operations when they needn't (at least, according to the guidance).  We had police overstepping their authority and making up rules (telling people they couldn't be in their gardens, telling people they couldn't buy chocolate, threatening to search shopping trolleys).

Now we are getting to the state we were supposed to be at, and I expect that does include traffic jams - after all, the tube is running at 5% nominal peak capacity?  (That's my guess - I'm assuming half the services are running and they can take a tenth of the people - certainly I've regularly been on tube trains with significantly more than ten people per 4m2).

Besides which, what's the problem with a traffic jam? Unless they are all in very tiny cars those people are more than 2m apart.

I balk at calling people "complete idiots" when there is no evidence at all that they are doing anything other than complying with the government guidance 100%.

thanks 2 users thanked achrn for this useful post.
aud on 01/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#226 Posted : 01 May 2020 10:48:14(UTC)
biker1

Originally Posted by: achrn Go to Quoted Post

Lockdown means lockdown,

That's begging the question.

We aren't in lockdown.  That's just sloppy sound-bite politics crossed with sloppy sound-bite journalism.

We aren't in lockdown.  Everyone that can't work from home should be going to work.  Everyone should be going out and getting their daily exercise. (In each case, apart from a small proportion of particularly vulnerable individuals and potentially their immediate circle).

Four weeks ago a lot of employers shut down operations when they needn't (at least, according to the guidance).  We had police overstepping their authority and making up rules (telling people they couldn't be in their gardens, telling people they couldn't buy chocolate, threatening to search shopping trolleys).

Now we are getting to the state we were supposed to be at, and I expect that does include traffic jams - after all, the tube is running at 5% nominal peak capacity?  (That's my guess - I'm assuming half the services are running and they can take a tenth of the people - certainly I've regularly been on tube trains with significantly more than ten people per 4m2).

Besides which, what's the problem with a traffic jam? Unless they are all in very tiny cars those people are more than 2m apart.

I balk at calling people "complete idiots" when there is no evidence at all that they are doing anything other than complying with the government guidance 100%.

Oh, wow, we're not in lockdown? And here was me thinking that we're supposed to stay at home and only go out for the four essential purposes we've been told about. I've obviously completely misunderstood this whole thing.

Yes, there have been mistakes in policing, but then I would agree that government advice has not always been clear, and has been misinterpreted by some. Then again, I would rather that a strict approach is taken than a soft one, although the police have had their hands tied in terms of lack of enforcement measures. Have some people been behaving like idiots? Yep. Read the reports and see the pictures of people defying the lockdown with their use of parks, holding mass parties, travelling large distances to beauty spots etc.

Other countries with more experience of highly infectious diseases have been more disciplined about protection measures than us. Having said this, the majority of people have complied, but it only takes a few idiots to prolong the pandemic.

Cheeky Me  
#227 Posted : 01 May 2020 10:49:21(UTC)
Cheeky Me

Biker1, I understand where you’re coming from and I totally agree that far too many people have no regard for social distancing.  Here in Leeds we have one area in particular that is constantly flouting the rules, without a care in the world. It’s not just the teens either, many adults were also congregating in these crowds, while holding their babies.  The amount of complaints (and photographic evidence) got the attention of the local media and people were going mad.

The Ward Councillor quickly jumped in to defend the cretins saying there was a “language barrier” and we should be sympathetic towards their lack of understanding.  Strange how whenever a police car arrived these poor unfortunate idiots suddenly understood the need to scattered off in all directions and stay hidden until the patrolling police had gone.

To be fair though, this same Ward Councillor is clearly off her rocker as she also stated that “it was a lovely community, full of lovely compassionate people who had come together during these difficult times”.

Yes, they literally did come together love……. On every street corner within the locality. Seems local Councillors are as out of touch as the general government when it comes to giving advice.

thanks 2 users thanked Cheeky Me for this useful post.
biker1 on 01/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC)
achrn  
#228 Posted : 01 May 2020 11:06:09(UTC)
achrn

Oh, wow, we're not in lockdown? And here was me thinking that we're supposed to stay at home and only go out for the four essential purposes we've been told about.

I don't understand how anyone can claim we are in lockdown and in the next breath say there are multiple reasons why we are supposed to go out.

'Lockdown' means don't go out.  That is emphatically not the situation in the UK.  In the UK you are supposed to go outside and get your daily exercise.  You are supposed to go to work (if you can't work at home).  You can go to the shops to buy food whenever you like. We are not in lockdown - nowhere near it.

A queue of cars somewhere does not in any way prove that the drivers are failing to comply with government guidance.

thanks 2 users thanked achrn for this useful post.
aud on 01/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 05/05/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#229 Posted : 01 May 2020 13:31:45(UTC)
biker1

Oh, wow, we're not in lockdown? And here was me thinking that we're supposed to stay at home and only go out for the four essential purposes we've been told about.

I don't understand how anyone can claim we are in lockdown and in the next breath say there are multiple reasons why we are supposed to go out.

'Lockdown' means don't go out.  That is emphatically not the situation in the UK.  In the UK you are supposed to go outside and get your daily exercise.  You are supposed to go to work (if you can't work at home).  You can go to the shops to buy food whenever you like. We are not in lockdown - nowhere near it.

A queue of cars somewhere does not in any way prove that the drivers are failing to comply with government guidance.

I think we're just getting into an argument about semantics.
chris.packham  
#230 Posted : 01 May 2020 13:51:48(UTC)
chris.packham

I looked in three different English dictionaries and in none of them was the word 'lockdown'. As far as I can ascertain, whilst the Government has used the word there is still no formal definition. Failing a formal definition why cannot I use the word to mean what I want it to mean? (Or for politicians change what it means to suit the circumstances???)

thanks 1 user thanked chris.packham for this useful post.
achrn  
#231 Posted : 01 May 2020 14:51:03(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: chris.packham Go to Quoted Post

I looked in three different English dictionaries and in none of them was the word 'lockdown'. As far as I can ascertain, whilst the Government has used the word there is still no formal definition. Failing a formal definition why cannot I use the word to mean what I want it to mean? (Or for politicians change what it means to suit the circumstances???)

Certainly, but it was stated that "the complete idiots defying it are putting everyone else at risk. Lockdown means lockdown,". I'm not relying on my own notion of what lockdown means - I'm relying on the context in which it was used to understand what the poster apparently believes it to mean. 

What the poster seems to think lockdown means is not what we currently have in the UK, becasue there are multiple reasons to go out, away from your place of residence, and that is quite likely to result in traffic queues in some places, even if absolutely everyone in the queue is complying 100% with the guidance.

The poster apparently believes that being in 'lockdown (but you can still go out if you have a reason)' means there should not be any queues of cars anywhere - and if there are queues of cars anywhere that proves that the drivers are "complete idiots defying it".  If lockdown actually meant no-one must leave their place of residence, that view might have some validity.  Since it does not, however, there is no basis for the accusation that drivers in a queue of cars are "complete idiots defying it".

thanks 1 user thanked achrn for this useful post.
Roundtuit  
#232 Posted : 01 May 2020 14:55:54(UTC)
Roundtuit

lockdown refers to a prison protocol according to wikipedia the result of which is to prevent persons, materials or information leaving a designated area - if you follow that definition there is no excuse to be away from home but it is unlikely to be HM Gov intention
Roundtuit  
#233 Posted : 01 May 2020 14:55:54(UTC)
Roundtuit

lockdown refers to a prison protocol according to wikipedia the result of which is to prevent persons, materials or information leaving a designated area - if you follow that definition there is no excuse to be away from home but it is unlikely to be HM Gov intention
SLord80  
#234 Posted : 02 May 2020 07:09:27(UTC)
SLord80

Originally Posted by: chris.packham Go to Quoted Post
I looked in three different English dictionaries and in none of them was the word 'lockdown'. As far as I can ascertain, whilst the Government has used the word there is still no formal definition.Failing a formal definition why cannot I use the word to mean what I want it to mean? (Or for politicians change what it means to suit the circumstances???)
Certainly, but it was stated that "the complete idiots defying it are putting everyone else at risk. Lockdown means lockdown,". I'm not relying on my own notion of what lockdown means - I'm relying on the context in which it was used to understand what the poster apparently believes it to mean. What the poster seems to think lockdown means is not what we currently have in the UK, becasue there are multiple reasons to go out, away from your place of residence, and that is quite likely to result in traffic queues in some places, even if absolutely everyone in the queue is complying 100% with the guidance. The poster apparently believes that being in 'lockdown (but you can still go out if you have a reason)' means there should not be any queues of cars anywhere - and if there are queues of cars anywhere that proves that the drivers are "complete idiots defying it". If lockdown actually meant no-one must leave their place of residence, that view might have some validity. Since it does not, however, there is no basis for the accusation that drivers in a queue of cars are "complete idiots defying it".
Couldn’t have said it better myself. We’re certainly not in lockdown and a people in a queue of traffic shouldn’t be described as ‘complete idiots’. Just shows the media has got to some people.
thanks 1 user thanked SLord80 for this useful post.
chris42  
#235 Posted : 05 May 2020 10:42:47(UTC)
chris42

Hi all

Apparently there was some Gov documents issued on Sunday (seven I think in total), about the gov possible plans and guidance for return to work which apparently has been issued to industry.

Does anyone know where to get a look at these documents (not some newspaper biased opinion on what they say). Preferably without having to sign up to a free trial of anything or allowing their cookies to monitor everything on my computer for the rest of my life.

Thanks

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
RVThompson  
#236 Posted : 05 May 2020 11:25:05(UTC)
RVThompson

As far as I’m aware Chris, this information was ‘leaked’, so its all speculation until Sunday?

thanks 1 user thanked RVThompson for this useful post.
Mark-W  
#237 Posted : 05 May 2020 11:28:25(UTC)
Mark-W

Agreed, a quick google onlky shows the 5 lockdown easing tests. I think we have 3 ticked off but the last 2 are going to be the issue

thanks 1 user thanked Mark-W for this useful post.
Roundtuit  
#238 Posted : 05 May 2020 11:53:24(UTC)
Roundtuit

Whatever the government publishes it will need to be very carefully and clearly worded.

Last Friday an irate family angered at being denied access to a US shop for not wearing state mandated masks returned and shot the security guard.

Whilst we may not bear arms in the UK you can guarantee those on the front line will be subject to verbal and physical abuse from the self righteous if the message is unclear or open to miss-interpratation (just look to the deabte on here of what lockdown means).

Mask or face covering, recommended or mandated, in public or just enclosed areas.

The only part clear so far is the government wants true RPE saving for the NHS

Roundtuit  
#239 Posted : 05 May 2020 11:53:24(UTC)
Roundtuit

Whatever the government publishes it will need to be very carefully and clearly worded.

Last Friday an irate family angered at being denied access to a US shop for not wearing state mandated masks returned and shot the security guard.

Whilst we may not bear arms in the UK you can guarantee those on the front line will be subject to verbal and physical abuse from the self righteous if the message is unclear or open to miss-interpratation (just look to the deabte on here of what lockdown means).

Mask or face covering, recommended or mandated, in public or just enclosed areas.

The only part clear so far is the government wants true RPE saving for the NHS

chris42  
#240 Posted : 05 May 2020 12:02:11(UTC)
chris42

I think it was given to the BBC and others according to their news report on TV Monday and were issued on Sunday. But how can business respond by Thursday if they can’t read what it says. Or is this only to the governments big business friends?

“The government will release a series of papers next week outlining its approach on how to safely and gradually restart the economy.

It invited submissions by Thursday from businesses, trade bodies, unions and other workers representatives on how best to slowly restart the UK economy.”

Extract taken from this BBC report. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52496636

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
RVThompson  
#241 Posted : 05 May 2020 12:15:42(UTC)
RVThompson

Apologies Chris, I missed this.

Perhaps you had to be a party donor to receive this information?

thanks 1 user thanked RVThompson for this useful post.
Kim Hedges  
#242 Posted : 05 May 2020 15:54:00(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Round tu it, no I haven't been in the Spanish website regarding bleaching the beaches, although I did read the article when it came out.  It must be another Kim. 

Thought I'd stay off the blog for a bit, to let everyone else have a bash at giving their views. 

I agree that this lockdown is typically English and really needs sorting out across the UK.  Yes I agree with the armed forces being called out including the Territorial Army (I even wrote to my MP about it in a small rant concerning 1 Rifles being trained as ambulance drivers, when 580 Ambulance Squadron based in Cardiff  (Volunteers) already do that).  

I do wish Sir Paul Nurse, who is currently the Chancellor of Bristol University, be given some greater say in our ongoing situation.  I am concerned that the political establishment is watering down the advise given by various experts, to down play the PPE requirements and actual requirements of staying at home. 

I saw the BBC news yesterday saying the local Council (South Gloucestershire) has taken this opportunity to resurface roads - now that's a good idea. 

thanks 1 user thanked Kim Hedges for this useful post.
biker1 on 06/05/2020(UTC)
chris42  
#243 Posted : 07 May 2020 08:58:55(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: chris42 Go to Quoted Post

I think it was given to the BBC and others according to their news report on TV Monday and were issued on Sunday. But how can business respond by Thursday if they can’t read what it says. Or is this only to the governments big business friends?

“The government will release a series of papers next week outlining its approach on how to safely and gradually restart the economy.

It invited submissions by Thursday from businesses, trade bodies, unions and other workers representatives on how best to slowly restart the UK economy.”

Extract taken from this BBC report. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52496636

Obviously a copy not given to IOSH then

biker1  
#244 Posted : 07 May 2020 11:50:08(UTC)
biker1

On reflection, achrn, I have to agree that we aren't in lockdown as this would normally be understood. We have a watered down version of it, which hasn't been adequately enforced. Whilst I would agree that more businesses are going back to work where they can't work from home (although the government has given out mixed messages about this), I am at a loss to understand where all the increased traffic is coming from during the day. More traffic during rush hours would be expected, especially with the concerns about the safety of public transport, but in late morning/middle of the day/early afternoon?

Latest thinking from our illustrious leaders is to restrict the vulnerable/old'uns to home and let the younger people out. Do they not read the news? It's not us old'uns that are causing the problems in terms of ignoring social distancing and essential travel, but predominantly young people. So, keep the young at home, and let us old'uns go outside in safety.

Fed up with reading about young people, especially young 'celebrities' complaining about how hard the restrictions are for them. When you consider the sacrifices that so many people have made for this country, all these people are being asked to do is stay at home for a few weeks, but they're whingeing and moaning about it. I don't want to hear it - you're pathetic.

I see that the press in other countries are criticising our government's response to the crisis, understandable given we now have more deaths than any other country in Europe, and a government that has fuffed and faffed around. We are developing an app to trace contacts, but instead of making use of what other countries are doing, we're developing our own, which will not be compatible with theirs. Unbelievable. Our GPs are being told nothing about incidence of the virus, clusters etc, since despite having weeks to sort it out, they are still not in the loop with test results. Unbelievable.

The government got side-tracked in the early days about herd immunity, which could have cost millions of lives, and has been rightly ridiculed by other countries. We relied on a depleted police force to exercise control over public gatherings, and gave them pathetic enforcement powers, rather than bringing in the 20.000 troops kicking their heels to enforce restrictions. And please don't quote the Human Rights Act; our human rights are being negated through others abusing theirs.

Rant over for now, but I'll probably be back!

Kim Hedges on 11/05/2020(UTC)
Cheeky Me  
#245 Posted : 07 May 2020 13:12:12(UTC)
Cheeky Me

Biker1, you’ve only gone and used the term “lockdown” again, are you mad? Have you learned nothing following your last thrashing?

I completely agree with what you’re saying though about our wiffy waffy leaders. However, I don’t agree with your comment that “It's not us old'uns that are causing the problems in terms of ignoring social distancing and essential travel, but predominantly young people”.

Reason being is that I’ve followed the wiffy waffy rules to the letter and I’ve stayed confined to my house for 6 weeks now, which by your statement, puts me in the category of “an old-un”. Which I’m not, far from it, in my head I’m still very much a “young-un”.

Could you define “old-un” for me please? Lol

thanks 1 user thanked Cheeky Me for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 11/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#246 Posted : 07 May 2020 13:29:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

old un - The shuffling masses ignoring the direction arrows and separation markers deployed by the supermarket blocking the aisles as they struggle with self scan set up by their children and lifting every item from the shelf to inspect it before deciding they don't want it and putting it back so that the best before date is hidden. Guess who has just been on the weekly provision run.
Cheeky Me on 07/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 11/05/2020(UTC), Cheeky Me on 07/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 11/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#247 Posted : 07 May 2020 13:29:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

old un - The shuffling masses ignoring the direction arrows and separation markers deployed by the supermarket blocking the aisles as they struggle with self scan set up by their children and lifting every item from the shelf to inspect it before deciding they don't want it and putting it back so that the best before date is hidden. Guess who has just been on the weekly provision run.
Cheeky Me on 07/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 11/05/2020(UTC), Cheeky Me on 07/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 11/05/2020(UTC)
Kim Hedges  
#248 Posted : 11 May 2020 08:08:47(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Why didn't we lockdown sooner – answer, we had just been battered by 2 big storms, Dennis and Jorge, the country was already in a state of unofficial emergency and the Conservatives were tight with the money - as usual.  Wales was asking for 30 million to cope with the immediate aftermath of the flooding and getting the runaround from the Conservative led Government.  So everyone was looking at the millions of people who had been flooded out.  Less than 2 weeks later we were in lockdown.

I like most of the country, watched the Prime Minister’s Covid19 update and the new mantra;

Stay Alert, Control the Virus, Protect the NHS.

Personally speaking I think the country needs more Lerts and sorry, but we still can’t control the virus.

I work in Construction, the Facebook page I haunt is filled with people who fall into 2 groups, the fatalistic group and the pessimists.  It’s basically a negative response to the reality of trying to work, when the whole setup of most, if not all construction sites, makes it near impossible to practice safe distancing.  The Canteens, toilet blocks, drying rooms, site offices and smoking areas are all too small to accommodate these new rules.  How can you read plans, sign off on plans and documents, sign safety RAMS, meet your new work mates in site offices?    

I think from watching different news reports that the general feeling in the country is – we don’t believe you Boris.  The numbers of new infections is still in the thousands, hundreds are still dying every day, testing is still very poor, PPE is still minimal, nothing has changed in real terms.  

I won’t be returning to work for a while yet.

thanks 1 user thanked Kim Hedges for this useful post.
biker1 on 11/05/2020(UTC)