Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

26 Pages«<678910>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Roundtuit  
#281 Posted : 19 May 2020 20:34:11(UTC)
Roundtuit

Not stepping on any grass verges at the moment as the local council workers are otherwise engaged and the dog walking fraternity are not all as concientious as they could be despite the dog waste bins having been re-opened.

Meanwhile the potus lets the world know he is popping malaria medication (has the value of his share holding increased?)

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
biker1 on 20/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC), biker1 on 20/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#282 Posted : 19 May 2020 20:34:11(UTC)
Roundtuit

Not stepping on any grass verges at the moment as the local council workers are otherwise engaged and the dog walking fraternity are not all as concientious as they could be despite the dog waste bins having been re-opened.

Meanwhile the potus lets the world know he is popping malaria medication (has the value of his share holding increased?)

biker1 on 20/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC), biker1 on 20/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC)
chris42  
#283 Posted : 20 May 2020 08:24:03(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Doesn’t bright orange attract insects like mosquitoes, so perhaps it is a valid precaution?

That’s why Orange PPE can be an issue with attracting bugs, but I believe slightly better than yellow.

:0)

Chris

thanks 2 users thanked chris42 for this useful post.
biker1 on 20/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#284 Posted : 20 May 2020 08:26:51(UTC)
biker1

Perhaps he's thinking of popping over to China to have a word.

Roundtuit  
#285 Posted : 20 May 2020 08:44:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

Latest publicised trip is to a motor plant in Michigan - despite the plant insisting vistors wear masks the management have "defered to the White House" because Donald "hasn't even thought of it".

Roundtuit  
#286 Posted : 20 May 2020 08:44:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

Latest publicised trip is to a motor plant in Michigan - despite the plant insisting vistors wear masks the management have "defered to the White House" because Donald "hasn't even thought of it".

Wailes900134  
#287 Posted : 20 May 2020 08:54:50(UTC)
Wailes900134

He really is the gift that keeps on giving...
thanks 1 user thanked Wailes900134 for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC)
Natasha.Graham  
#288 Posted : 20 May 2020 09:10:51(UTC)
Natasha.Graham

I've never met the man yet I dislike him! He has a blatant disregard for anything but money and himself!

The way he treats people trying to hold him to account, and the way he abuses his power is abhorrent - how he's survived this long without an assassination attempt is beyond me!!  Still the wonderful nation of the free voted for him so they made their bed!! 

He sounded like a petulant toddler when he told everyone to wear face masks but he wouldn't because "I don't want to!"

thanks 3 users thanked Natasha.Graham for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 20/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC), nic168 on 28/05/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#289 Posted : 20 May 2020 10:50:43(UTC)
biker1

Well he'll be amongst friends in Michigan, from what I've seen.

He really is a piece of work, as they say over there, isn't he?

Perhaps his standard excuse for coming out with ridiculous stuff is that he was being sarcastic; perhaps the American public were being sarcastic in electing him.

Natasha.Graham  
#290 Posted : 20 May 2020 13:12:46(UTC)
Natasha.Graham

Yes Biker - he really is!!!! 

Ha ha - sarcastic in electing him!! That's a new one - I like it :)

A Kurdziel  
#291 Posted : 20 May 2020 13:49:54(UTC)
A Kurdziel

If you look at the numbers (he loves to boast about his numbers so why not) he won with 46% of the vote. Hillary lost even though she had 48% pf the vote due to the vagaries of the Electoral College which gives more votes in effect to the small oblong states. The total turnout was 56% so he was only voted into office (the most powerful job in the world) by about 26% of the total US population. Worrying isn’t it.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
biker1  
#292 Posted : 20 May 2020 14:45:25(UTC)
biker1

The figures are not unlike our version of democracy, unfortunately.

peter gotch  
#293 Posted : 20 May 2020 16:50:51(UTC)
peter gotch

Biker - please don't go there.

I live in Scotland where we did not vote for the current Westminster Govt!

P

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Roundtuit  
#294 Posted : 20 May 2020 20:00:02(UTC)
Roundtuit

It is not only Iraq & WMD Tony Blair has a lot to be accountable for.

Most of the electorate followed the line in Brewster's Millions "None of the above"

Edited by user 20 May 2020 20:01:47(UTC)  | Reason: None of the

Roundtuit  
#295 Posted : 20 May 2020 20:00:02(UTC)
Roundtuit

It is not only Iraq & WMD Tony Blair has a lot to be accountable for.

Most of the electorate followed the line in Brewster's Millions "None of the above"

Edited by user 20 May 2020 20:01:47(UTC)  | Reason: None of the

Andrew W Walker  
#296 Posted : 21 May 2020 07:58:07(UTC)
Andrew W Walker

On the plus side of Mr Trump being POTUS... Comics and satirists haven't had so much material for years.

biker1  
#297 Posted : 21 May 2020 08:46:56(UTC)
biker1

I wonder how many of the American public are happy with the way he conducts his presidency - justifying and praising himself, coming out with rubbish and incorrect assertions, ignoring advice in his drive to support the stock market and his business interests, and sacrificing citizens in the process, watching news channels and sending out appalling insults on Twitter. Anyone else who had posted half the stuff he has would have been sued for libel long before now. He seems to be immune from legal action, or at least he thinks he is. He is now trying to fiddle the election process, and spreading debunked conspiracy theories. The murky world of American politics gets murkier by the day. That he apparently has so many supporters is astounding; something has clearly gone badly wrong over there.

One journalist predicted recently that BoJo will be out of office by Christmas; there is a problem there, in that who would be capable of taking over? The calibre of his cabinet ministers doesn't inspire confidence.

Yet another move has been sneaked in under cover of the pandemic - we now will be judged as consenting to our organs being donated when we die unless we expressly opt out, what I call the 'Reader's Digest Syndrome' - we'll do this unless you tell us not to. Whilst I agree that more organ donors are needed, something feels very wrong about this way of doing it.

I see that the government seems to be backtracking on their refusal to waive treatment fees for foreign nationals who come here to work for the NHS. This struck me as a particulary mean and ungrateful move - they come here, put their lives on the line for us, then get charged for care when they get sick. Whilst there have to be limits on entitlement, this struck me as despicable.

Well, as could be predicted, the hottest day of the year yesterday brought the hordes out to the beaches and parks. An observer could be forgiven for assuming there was no public crisis. Can't these people forego the pleasure of trips to the seaside for a few months? Whilst the majority of the people are exercising self-control and consideration, there is a significant proportion of the public who are selfish and lack self-discipline. The longer such behaviour goes on, the longer the pandemic does, and the more people will die. Experts are predicting, nay even assuming, that we will have a second wave of the virus. I can see their point.

Natasha.Graham  
#298 Posted : 21 May 2020 08:53:32(UTC)
Natasha.Graham

The man really is an idiot - I saw yesterday that he said something about having the most cases of COVID19 in the world is like a badge of honour!! Really??!!! What I want to call him is not suitable for this forum!!!

thanks 1 user thanked Natasha.Graham for this useful post.
biker1 on 21/05/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#299 Posted : 21 May 2020 09:36:15(UTC)
biker1

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

Biker - please don't go there.

I live in Scotland where we did not vote for the current Westminster Govt!

P

Quite so, but in typical general election results, only a minority of the public actually voted for the party that gets into power. A combination of a smothering two-party system (like the USA), and a poor turnout for voting due to apathy and disillusionment. A fairer system would be proportional representation, but parliament voting for this would be like turkeys voting for Christmas.
Holliday42333  
#300 Posted : 21 May 2020 10:17:16(UTC)
Holliday42333

Originally Posted by: biker1 Go to Quoted Post

Yet another move has been sneaked in under cover of the pandemic - we now will be judged as consenting to our organs being donated when we die unless we expressly opt out, what I call the 'Reader's Digest Syndrome' - we'll do this unless you tell us not to. Whilst I agree that more organ donors are needed, something feels very wrong about this way of doing it.

Not sure this has exactly been 'sneaked in under cover of the pandemic' as it was widely communicated at the back end of last year.

thanks 2 users thanked Holliday42333 for this useful post.
nic168 on 21/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 21/05/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#301 Posted : 21 May 2020 11:34:52(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Went for my daily walk the other day. Went through York town centre and it was very quiet: no hen or stag parties about and then turned to leave the town centre and met some locals standing under the gateway blocking my exit drinking and being very loud. Some non-voluntary organs donors there I think?

Edited by user 21 May 2020 14:31:23(UTC)  | Reason: spelings

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
biker1 on 21/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#302 Posted : 21 May 2020 11:49:51(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Holliday42333 Go to Quoted Post
Not sure this has exactly been 'sneaked in under cover of the pandemic' as it was widely communicated at the back end of last year.

You then wonder what else the people acting without mandate will also decide without our express consent wilting as they have to vocal minority campaigns run on SM.

Roundtuit  
#303 Posted : 21 May 2020 11:49:51(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Holliday42333 Go to Quoted Post

You then wonder what else the people acting without mandate will also decide without our express consent wilting as they have to vocal minority campaigns run on SM.

stevedm  
#304 Posted : 21 May 2020 11:56:38(UTC)
stevedm

...that this is what you all forget...the NHS staff have to abide by thier professional standards not one of a politicians whim...hence the stress and pressure put on as we ensure the patients and families of patients have thier rights protected...becuase that what we do...

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 21/05/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#305 Posted : 21 May 2020 13:24:08(UTC)
biker1

There was a news report illustrating the difference between England and Wales for yesterday. Weston super Mare - packed carparks and beaches. Barry Island - empty carparks and beaches. Only a short distance from each other. Says it all really. Ease the 'lockdown', especially in a confused manner, and some people will take the rip.

thanks 1 user thanked biker1 for this useful post.
Roundtuit  
#306 Posted : 22 May 2020 11:03:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

This weeks RAPEX contains 12 reports on PPE, sadly medical style masks and protective coveralls have joined the ranks of ineffective void fillers.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#307 Posted : 22 May 2020 11:03:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

This weeks RAPEX contains 12 reports on PPE, sadly medical style masks and protective coveralls have joined the ranks of ineffective void fillers.

Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 24/05/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#308 Posted : 22 May 2020 14:54:30(UTC)
biker1

A landmark day, today. Trump has actually been seen wearing a mask, not all the time during his visit to a Ford plant, but some of the time anyway. I had to smile - the mask is navy blue, and seems to have paraphenalia on it. It's a mask, for goodness' sake, not a fashion statement. As if anyone would mistake him for someone else.

You could take it either way about BoJo's U-turn on the surcharge for foreign workers in the NHS. It could be commendable as showing a leader willing to listen and re-consider something. Alternatively, you could consider him a cruel prat for insisting on the charge the day before, and then only backing down when he got a lot of stick for it. And why is he not taking the daily briefings? What is he actually doing? Why is he letting others take the aggro that he should be dealing with? I think he needs some pointers on basic leadership skills

Are we going to be traced and tracked, or not? Unusual for this government to miss a deadline (!)

chris42  
#309 Posted : 22 May 2020 15:34:11(UTC)
chris42

Does anyone actually know anything about this track and trace app. Has there been any mention of how close you need to be to someone else for it to register. Bluetooth will work over quite a distance.

We were discussing how this could potentially take out a complete workplace for us in one go, even though people are two-meter distancing.

Chris

Roundtuit  
#310 Posted : 23 May 2020 11:05:56(UTC)
Roundtuit

Trump waving his presidential seal mask announced he did not want to give the press the pleasure of seeing him (in the mask) - what is so wrong with leading by example?

Meantime whilst the UK starts research in to the Trump miracle malaria cure other research indicates it raises the risk of death in hospital Covid patients.

He is now demanding state Governors open places of worship "in America we need more prayer" - perhaps he needs reminding of Matthew 23 v 1 - 11

Roundtuit  
#311 Posted : 23 May 2020 11:05:56(UTC)
Roundtuit

Trump waving his presidential seal mask announced he did not want to give the press the pleasure of seeing him (in the mask) - what is so wrong with leading by example?

Meantime whilst the UK starts research in to the Trump miracle malaria cure other research indicates it raises the risk of death in hospital Covid patients.

He is now demanding state Governors open places of worship "in America we need more prayer" - perhaps he needs reminding of Matthew 23 v 1 - 11

chris.packham  
#312 Posted : 23 May 2020 11:26:10(UTC)
chris.packham

Re the app, will it really work. Imagine I go to work from a London suburb. I have to use public transport, so will be close to a number of people on the train. From the station in London I catch the unberground which it crowded. I change to a separate line, so another group of people. I repeat this in reverse going home. That evening, feeling unwell I test positive to COVID-19. Presumably the trackers (and remember initially this will be manual) will have to contact all those I was close to during the day.  They will all no have to isolate for 7 days!

Am I missing something?

Kim Hedges  
#313 Posted : 24 May 2020 13:14:56(UTC)
Kim Hedges

I have a few American friends who still support President Trump or so their facebook posts tell me.  

POTUS; President Of The United States.  I agree with what most have said about him (above), mores the pity.  He was voted into the White House to do a whole series of jobs and from what I've seen to date, he has failed to do anything in reality.  When I first heard his hustings 5-6 years ago, I thought, that's refreshing, maybe the US will finally get moving.  Alas he has got nowhere. 

The US infrastructure is still crumbling, there is little to none joined up planning, the States are left divided, it is definately not a United States for all the hype.  There appears to be a resurgence of racism, sexism and cronyism.  The US gave the world political correctness has now it appears done a U turn.

The swamp that was to be emptied is just as big, term limits have not been ratified, the electoral college has not been fixed to reflect actual votes cast. 

I heard with disgust today, that the Indian Nations reservation, have many houses without running water.  

thanks 1 user thanked Kim Hedges for this useful post.
biker1 on 26/05/2020(UTC)
Kim Hedges  
#314 Posted : 24 May 2020 13:20:39(UTC)
Kim Hedges

I was amused to hear from the Border Force man at the press briefings on Friday that they have stopped large shipments of drugs and fake PPE coming into Britain.  

So beware.   

Roundtuit  
#315 Posted : 25 May 2020 20:58:51(UTC)
Roundtuit

Time for a major sigh of relief. For a brief moment it looked as though Trump was being taken seriously but thankfully WHO and the world have ceased research in to his malaria medication.

Meanwhile the conservatives seem to have found their equivalent of Peter Mandelson in Dominic Cummings - at least Peter eventually had the decency to resign (several times) when caught out.

Roundtuit  
#316 Posted : 25 May 2020 20:58:51(UTC)
Roundtuit

Time for a major sigh of relief. For a brief moment it looked as though Trump was being taken seriously but thankfully WHO and the world have ceased research in to his malaria medication.

Meanwhile the conservatives seem to have found their equivalent of Peter Mandelson in Dominic Cummings - at least Peter eventually had the decency to resign (several times) when caught out.

biker1  
#317 Posted : 26 May 2020 11:19:16(UTC)
biker1

The government has handled the whole affair with Dominic Cummings badly, no change there then. If there had been an acknowledgement of how it looked from the word go, had the guy himself acted initially with less arrogance, had the PM and his cronies not jumped in to defend him when it was clear they knew little about it, then perhaps it wouldn't have assumed such importance. Of course, the press has had a field day, he was a sitting duck for their sensationalising.

When you see the pictures of crowded beaches, gridlock in the Peak District, and compare it with Wales yesterday, what DC did seems almost trivial.  His actions were somewhat ill-judged, but he did have the bravery to hold a meeting to explain himself, and answer questions from the braying mob of journalists. Sections of our society seem to have the breaking strain of a KitKat when it comes to behaving responsibly. Judging from the scenes at resorts and tourist destinations yesterday, I would say a second wave of COVID is inevitable in England.

A bit hypocritical of Trump to have berated Obama for playing golf during the Ebola crisis, then spend the day at the weekend playing golf at his resort in Virginia, but then two-faced behaviour comes naturally to him.

Edited by user 26 May 2020 11:45:58(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

nic168 on 28/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#318 Posted : 26 May 2020 12:11:45(UTC)
Roundtuit

It is not the pilgrimage that should be of concern but rather that beyond the viral fever the supposed recovered Dominic considered it appropriate to check his eyesight for the return journey by getting behind the wheel of a car. With this kind of attitude he is better suited to a White House position.
Connor35037 on 26/05/2020(UTC), Connor35037 on 26/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#319 Posted : 26 May 2020 12:11:45(UTC)
Roundtuit

It is not the pilgrimage that should be of concern but rather that beyond the viral fever the supposed recovered Dominic considered it appropriate to check his eyesight for the return journey by getting behind the wheel of a car. With this kind of attitude he is better suited to a White House position.
Connor35037 on 26/05/2020(UTC), Connor35037 on 26/05/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#320 Posted : 26 May 2020 13:06:54(UTC)
biker1

I don't think the good people of Barnard Castle will be reassured by this. Perhaps he's taking his lead from Trump, although in the latter's case I don't think eyesight is the problem.

chris.packham  
#321 Posted : 26 May 2020 16:16:34(UTC)
chris.packham

I wonder what his excuse would have been had his eyesight not been adequate and as a result there had been an accident! How would his boss explain this away?

Roundtuit  
#322 Posted : 26 May 2020 18:47:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

Could Nick Freeman please explain the loophole in driver licencing that says if you are unsure of your health or your ability to drive the best and only validation is to personally get behind the wheel?

Roundtuit  
#323 Posted : 26 May 2020 18:47:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

Could Nick Freeman please explain the loophole in driver licencing that says if you are unsure of your health or your ability to drive the best and only validation is to personally get behind the wheel?

peter gotch  
#324 Posted : 26 May 2020 19:38:21(UTC)
peter gotch

Perhaps DC restricted his speed to 5 mph so that if his killing machine did hit someone when he couldn't see properly, it would be a little less likely to kill.

I also wonder what his excuse was for breaking lock down in County Durham and driving back to London.

biker1  
#325 Posted : 27 May 2020 09:29:12(UTC)
biker1

It just gets better, doesn't it? Michael Gove jumped in to say he had done something similar to test his eyesight, but mumbled that he wasn't an expert on driving. Clearly. Does the DVLA know about these rolling eyesight tests? I think my BS detector is twitching.

RVThompson on 27/05/2020(UTC)
RVThompson  
#326 Posted : 27 May 2020 10:08:05(UTC)
RVThompson

UK Govt straying into Trump territory possibly?

Edited by user 27 May 2020 10:10:55(UTC)  | Reason: ffs

Roundtuit  
#327 Posted : 27 May 2020 10:34:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

We may actually see POTUS break his links with Social Media.

Despite his many inexcusable and down right dangerous posts regarding virus treatments his latest rambling on postal voting has been tagged with a fact check warning.

Edited by user 27 May 2020 10:43:48(UTC)  | Reason: Social Media brand came up expletive deleted

Roundtuit  
#328 Posted : 27 May 2020 10:34:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

We may actually see POTUS break his links with Social Media.

Despite his many inexcusable and down right dangerous posts regarding virus treatments his latest rambling on postal voting has been tagged with a fact check warning.

Edited by user 27 May 2020 10:43:48(UTC)  | Reason: Social Media brand came up expletive deleted

A Kurdziel  
#329 Posted : 27 May 2020 11:48:21(UTC)
A Kurdziel

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52802661

I admit last weekend that we drove to a beauty spot. We then consumed serval bottles of wine but I couldn’t remember how many. Being concerned that I might have drunk more than my weekly allowance I volunteered to drive back to see how it had impinged my driving ability. From this I could work out how much I had drunk.

Was I being irresponsible?

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
RVThompson on 27/05/2020(UTC), Connor35037 on 27/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#330 Posted : 27 May 2020 11:53:00(UTC)
Roundtuit

Not if you were wearing the new PPE cut-out face mask that has appeared on the front of one of the red tops this morning.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-52815336

RVThompson on 27/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 27/05/2020(UTC), RVThompson on 27/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 27/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#331 Posted : 27 May 2020 11:53:00(UTC)
Roundtuit

Not if you were wearing the new PPE cut-out face mask that has appeared on the front of one of the red tops this morning.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-52815336

RVThompson on 27/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 27/05/2020(UTC), RVThompson on 27/05/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 27/05/2020(UTC)