Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
craigroberts76  
#1 Posted : 17 June 2020 14:10:06(UTC)
craigroberts76

nothing more than a HELLLL YEH... just found out I've passed my CMIOSH.

thanks 5 users thanked craigroberts76 for this useful post.
Connor35037 on 17/06/2020(UTC), CptBeaky on 18/06/2020(UTC), Swygart25604 on 18/06/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 18/06/2020(UTC), Kate on 18/06/2020(UTC)
RVThompson  
#2 Posted : 17 June 2020 14:14:13(UTC)
RVThompson

Congratulations Sir!

thanks 1 user thanked RVThompson for this useful post.
craigroberts76 on 17/06/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 17 June 2020 14:25:31(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Welcome to the club

Now all we need to know if they will let us keep it!

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
craigroberts76 on 17/06/2020(UTC), Swygart25604 on 18/06/2020(UTC)
craigroberts76  
#4 Posted : 17 June 2020 14:43:34(UTC)
craigroberts76

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Welcome to the club

Now all we need to know if they will let us keep it!

you mean the title change? I dont see why changing it has to happen, seems like changing for changing sake

peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 17 June 2020 16:16:30(UTC)
peter gotch

Congratulations Craig.

You will have worked hard for your Chartership.

Not sure whether AK means the IOSH Forums or the criteria for CMIOSH. Both may be in jeopardy.

A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 18 June 2020 08:27:16(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Well the forum seems to be dying through neglect by the powers that be. They seem to prefer LinkedIn which tends to be used for self-aggrandisement and promotion (I use it occasionally), while this forum provides a space for users to talk about the nitty gritty. And of course we have the new competences for the various member grades and the implication that to be CMIOSH just being competent at H&S is no longer enough. They are expecting (apparently) that you demonstrate a whole set of managerial or even executive skills in areas like policy making, financial administration and halo polishing.

Ian Bell2  
#7 Posted : 18 June 2020 09:52:04(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Which aren'tmuch use making real world safety decisions. Being able to smarm and say the right motivational things is more important....... more Zero harm paper campaigns, Cheaper than prociding the right equipment etc

thanks 3 users thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 18/06/2020(UTC), peter gotch on 18/06/2020(UTC), DHeptinstall on 19/06/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 18 June 2020 13:31:42(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Still think that Craig did well getting his Post-nominal letters. Threw was time when having CMIOSH drew a bit of an ooh! from people in the know.

iyenoma  
#9 Posted : 19 June 2020 09:58:04(UTC)
iyenoma

Congratulations and welcome to the club.

Kate  
#10 Posted : 19 June 2020 11:18:13(UTC)
Kate

The title of CMIOSH isn't changing (it's one of the other membership grades that may be renamed), the competency requirements may and those of us who don't meet all the new requirements may be stripped of it even though we met the requirements at the time and have assiduously maintained our CPD.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 19/06/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#11 Posted : 19 June 2020 11:50:34(UTC)
A Kurdziel

And some poor people have jus paid for the privilege of getting those letters after their only to learn to learn that it might be taken off them anytime soon. Has somebody explained this to HR department who will still be asking for CMIOSH?

peter gotch  
#12 Posted : 20 June 2020 10:25:11(UTC)
peter gotch

AK, whilst I doubt that there are that many HR Departments (or recruitment consultants) who actually understand what CMIOSH means (at present), Kate's comment is a reminder for those who have expressed concerns here and elsewhere about where IOSH is going to remember to start voting (or still vote) both in the upcoming Council election and then for the "elite" when the Membership proposals are put to a vote.

Now, in that second vote, well miracles do happen, and I might say For. But, at this stage, I doubt it.

This thread has digressed somewhat in to discussion which would be better continued in the Members' Forums? (but the "Moderators" may not notice).

Ian Bell2  
#13 Posted : 20 June 2020 16:48:47(UTC)
Ian Bell2

I achieved CMISOH in 2007. Let it and IOSH membership lapse by about 2014. Never had a problem getting work since. 

peter gotch  
#14 Posted : 21 June 2020 11:39:25(UTC)
peter gotch

Ian - your experience is such that your CV will sell you for the work you want to do. You have reached the point where postnoms don't really matter, except to provide, perhaps, a very little assurance that you may be keeping up to date - but the potential client is probably not going to rely on postnoms for that.

The downsides are that IOSH doesn't get your subscription money and you cannot vote for change.

angelabl  
#15 Posted : 08 July 2020 11:15:57(UTC)
angelabl

Congratulations ! i am about to do mine in August any advice would be extremely welcome

Originally Posted by: craigroberts76 Go to Quoted Post

nothing more than a HELLLL YEH... just found out I've passed my CMIOSH.