Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PJA  
#1 Posted : 27 June 2020 17:52:02(UTC)
PJA

Hi, can anyone help ? My son is seeking to be a fire safety engineer and has asked me for advice, of which I'm not helping much!

He wants to eventually do building surveying and codes type work relating to fire

I guess my question is what is his starting point,, Nebosh fire?, and then after that?

He would really like a modern apprenticeship if possible but there doesn't seem to be any around for this type of work, he is time served in engineering, but has decided that he wants  career where he can make a signifant difference

Anybody help or guidance would be appreciated 

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 28 June 2020 10:26:55(UTC)
peter gotch

PJA - you say your son is time served in Engineering, but what sort of engineering?

There's a whole load of difference between the existing skills set of e.g. a CNC lathe setter-operator and someone who installs heating and ventilating equipment, or a structural engineering technician.

Need to know the background of the individual to even start to hazard a guess as the appropriate route towards such a career change.

Ian Bell2  
#3 Posted : 28 June 2020 12:14:42(UTC)
Ian Bell2

A NEBOSH Fire Cert doens't make you into a fire engineer - its a far too simplistic qualification, makes someone slightly more knowledgeable than your average bod about fire safety.

A fire engineer is a degree level qualification.

I believe Leeds University and the University of Central Lancashire i.e. Preston run fire safety engineering degree courses. There are probably others.