Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jhoward  
#1 Posted : 26 July 2020 22:07:00(UTC)
jhoward

Hope this is the right place..

I am trying to pursuade my work to pay for some of or all of my NCRQ level 6.

Has anyone put together a business case for this that could help me put together a business case?

Many thanks

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 27 July 2020 16:05:49(UTC)
peter gotch

JH - 19 readers but no responses.

It would help if you explain why you want to do this.

As example, your employer might have expanded your remit to include H&S on top of all the other things on your to do list. So, thence if they want you to be their solitary "competent person", or even one of their "competent persons" then there is a learning curve. Then it is about deciding what is the most cost effective route to close the gaps.

P

jhoward  
#3 Posted : 27 July 2020 20:04:28(UTC)
jhoward

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

JH - 19 readers but no responses.

It would help if you explain why you want to do this.

As example, your employer might have expanded your remit to include H&S on top of all the other things on your to do list. So, thence if they want you to be their solitary "competent person", or even one of their "competent persons" then there is a learning curve. Then it is about deciding what is the most cost effective route to close the gaps.

P

So I am looking to expand my knowledge and qualifications.

Within my remit I am now expected to write a strategy etc. which i wasnt previously.

I am the sole health and safety advisor if that helps

John Elder  
#4 Posted : 28 July 2020 07:59:34(UTC)
John Elder

JH It is sometimes difficult to make a business case where you are having to put yourself forward for something without not appearing to come across as acting in your own interest and not that of the business. In truth the interest of both parties is served when the NCRQ course is completed and that is how things should be.

If you are not sure how you want to put across your case without comming across as self centered then. fortunatly NCRQ have already done that for you in the link below.

https://www.ncrq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/The-NCRQ-Diploma-Fact-Sheet.pdf

Hopefully you can glean sufficent information from the link above and be able to present it in such a way to enable your employer to recognise that it is to both your advantages to gain a recognised qualificaion which will assist you in or the implemention of your role in a competent manner.

Good Luck

Todai  
#5 Posted : 28 July 2020 08:18:05(UTC)
Todai

Do you have acceess to barbour ? lots of items within their for business cases for health and safety that could help build your case. 

WatsonD  
#6 Posted : 28 July 2020 09:00:59(UTC)
WatsonD

I would start with the fact that your job role had increased to encompass writing strategy, etc. as such you have identified gaps in your skills/knowledge and therefore to bridge the gap you have identified a training course which will help to resolve this. 

Surely this could be a conversation inititially? Then if there are barriers add a bit more detail. I prefer to do it this way as with a conversation I get to hear their initial counter-arguments against which I can focus on should I need to back it up with something documented.

At the end of the day it is not a lot of money.

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
Wailes900134 on 29/07/2020(UTC)
peter gotch  
#7 Posted : 28 July 2020 10:30:40(UTC)
peter gotch

As Watson says it's not a lot of money and I agree that an initial consultation might well give you clues as to what you put in a business case to demonstrate how attaining this qualification would add value to your employer.

You have to decide amongst other things how much, if any, of the TIME you need to do the qualification should be in your work contracted hours. 

One of the advantages from an employer's perspective is that the NCRQ can be done entirely outside work, so no costs relating to TIME.

You can apply a contrary argument to say an NVQ, in that most can be done by putting together a portfolio based on what you do at work. That focuses your work to deliver the portfolio. It might mean some time at work collating the portfolio, but the employer might get a better quality of work as a result! So, a win-win, where your employer's investment in your TIME at work pays them dividends.

You also need to take account of your employer's general approach to training whether or not this is formally stated.

P