Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

18 Pages«<161718
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Swygart25604  
#681 Posted : 18 October 2020 14:52:23(UTC)
Swygart25604

Had a discussion with a local Factory Inspector last week, in response to some people testing positive who work at our site. I said that we'd adopted P2 mask wearing on site and world-wide throughout our Group globally since mid-April. His response was that he "wasn't keen on compulsory mask wearing, as that could compromise social distancing". I get the point, but really?? It's just a shame that our wonderful government didn't make this compulsory way earlier like in other countries, and as for the mixed messaging......don't get me started. Everything is distilled by Cummings to a simplistic 3 word phrase; life is not that simple, sadly. What I want to know is why am I getting harrangued for a blatant failure of public policy by one of its employees???

I have been abroad on holiday for 3 weeks to two different locations this summer and never felt safer, as opposed to being here.

thanks 1 user thanked Swygart25604 for this useful post.
biker1 on 19/10/2020(UTC)
John Murray  
#682 Posted : 18 October 2020 15:08:06(UTC)
John Murray

"FFP2 etc. PPE masks are designed and intend to protect the wearer.

Face coverings aren't intended to protect the wearer. Face coverings protect everyone else. Face coverings are supposed to limit the degree to which an infected wearer passes it on to everyone else.

It's no great surprise that something intended to do one job isn't very effective at the opposite."

Actually, unless fitted with a release valve, they filter both inhaled and exhaled breath.

"surgical" facemasks failed both tests. Home made face coverings fail both also.

Given that the majority of "face coverings" fit dismally, and the amount of people going-around wearing them with the nose exposed, or around their chins with both nose and mouth exposed, or not at all, I wear a [properly fitted] FFP2.

I also have a selection of full face-masks with replaceable filters, to P3 standard. The blood-test facility is not happy at me wearing those, but since there are a dozen people in an unventilated room, sitting one metre apart, they can stay unhappy.

You wear what you like.

biker1  
#683 Posted : 19 October 2020 09:38:38(UTC)
biker1

It is curious isn't it, that so many people are refusing to wear something that protects other people, rather than themselves? Says a lot about their attitude to personal responsibility and their respect for other people. I see that Liam and Noel Gallagher are refusing to wear masks. What does that tell us about them that we didn't already know? *rseholes with attitude.

Roundtuit  
#684 Posted : 19 October 2020 11:43:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Swygart25604 Go to Quoted Post
What I want to know is why am I getting harrangued for a blatant failure of public policy by one of its employees???

Was it the HSE inspector or someone else?

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 19/10/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 19/10/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#685 Posted : 19 October 2020 11:43:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Swygart25604 Go to Quoted Post
What I want to know is why am I getting harrangued for a blatant failure of public policy by one of its employees???

Was it the HSE inspector or someone else?

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 19/10/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 19/10/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#686 Posted : 19 October 2020 11:59:45(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: biker1 Go to Quoted Post
It is curious isn't it, that so many people are refusing to wear something that protects other people, rather than themselves?

Not really - society has long pandered to the whims and rights of the individual. Just because we now have a pandemic it will take many years of throwing people off planes, barring customers from technology shops and punching other bus users to change society.

What point is a face covering when the "celebrity" entitled jet world wide on a frequent basis and then head out without following the rules (anyone keeping count of the party failings against regulation - think the recent Blair & Corbyn examples have Labour in the lead even with the Cummings trip). One even has a range of clothing expressing their disdain for the rest of us "Sorry I dont que Hun" emblazoned across the front.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
biker1 on 19/10/2020(UTC), nic168 on 22/10/2020(UTC), biker1 on 19/10/2020(UTC), nic168 on 22/10/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#687 Posted : 19 October 2020 11:59:45(UTC)
Roundtuit

It is curious isn't it, that so many people are refusing to wear something that protects other people, rather than themselves?

Not really - society has long pandered to the whims and rights of the individual. Just because we now have a pandemic it will take many years of throwing people off planes, barring customers from technology shops and punching other bus users to change society.

What point is a face covering when the "celebrity" entitled jet world wide on a frequent basis and then head out without following the rules (anyone keeping count of the party failings against regulation - think the recent Blair & Corbyn examples have Labour in the lead even with the Cummings trip). One even has a range of clothing expressing their disdain for the rest of us "Sorry I dont que Hun" emblazoned across the front.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
biker1 on 19/10/2020(UTC), nic168 on 22/10/2020(UTC), biker1 on 19/10/2020(UTC), nic168 on 22/10/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#688 Posted : 19 October 2020 13:58:09(UTC)
biker1

Too true, Roundtuit. Sad isn't it, that just for a while during the lockdown we got a glimpse of how better society could be? Now that restrictions have been lifted (albeit briefly from the way things are going), it's back to the usual attitudes. I blame Maggie Thatcher for starting the 'me, me' mindset (but then I blame her for most things wrong with Britain these days).

Agree with the poor example being shown with so many famous people, POTUS being the main one. Mass rallies, with no social distancing and not many masks in sight. I don't know how he sleeps at night. 

A Kurdziel  
#689 Posted : 19 October 2020 14:23:35(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I blame the wrongs of modern society on the Ecumenical Council of Chalcedon 451 AD

Their rejection the Eutychian doctrine of monophysitism was a grave error but the got RIDDOR just about right until Council of Ephesus had a go.

achrn  
#690 Posted : 19 October 2020 15:19:14(UTC)
achrn

POTUS being the main one. 

Have you seen he's apparently been told about a study that found that 85% of people with covid reported that they had sometimes worn a face covering, and interpreted that as being that 85% of people that wear a face covering will get covid?

peter gotch  
#691 Posted : 19 October 2020 15:42:13(UTC)
peter gotch

achrn

Time for an update on a well known phrase

"Lies, damned lies and statistics and then "fake news" and Trumped up statistics"

Edited by user 19 October 2020 15:43:18(UTC)  | Reason: Accidentally inserted a full stop where I didna ought to

John Murray  
#692 Posted : 19 October 2020 21:38:09(UTC)
John Murray

It is curious isn't it, that so many people are refusing to wear something that protects other people, rather than themselves? Says a lot about their attitude to personal responsibility and their respect for other people. I see that Liam and Noel Gallagher are refusing to wear masks. What does that tell us about them that we didn't already know? *rseholes with attitude.

If you'd seen the results of tests on both "surgical" facemasks and "face coverings", you would not be that interested in putting your faith in them!

An FFP2 mask protects from inhaling virus and also exhaling, to a greater extent than the two previous examples. They don't wear "surgical" facemasks in areas of high likelihood of infection in hospitals (although the govt spend £30 million buying a load for that purpose!)

I'm 70, my faith in humanity is at a very low ebb. My faith in politicians does not exist; at all.

N Hancock  
#693 Posted : 20 October 2020 08:42:30(UTC)
N Hancock

Got no desire to be muzzled myself tbh, why is everyone becoming so bitter ? 

What i dont understand is why there has been no tv advert campaign on their correct use.  People are just walking around in 'props'.

We have lost all proportion and humanity.

peter gotch  
#694 Posted : 20 October 2020 10:26:57(UTC)
peter gotch

Re post #681, news from across the Pond, it looks like OSHA is being a little tougher than the HSE "Factory Inspector(s)".

OSHA inspectors have removed 634,515 workers from COVID-19 hazards during the coronavirus pandemic.

Also announced slightly over $1.2m in fines for COVID violations. OSHA fines tend to be quite small and I didn't check how many there were to total this figure.

Roundtuit  
#695 Posted : 20 October 2020 18:41:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: N Hancock Go to Quoted Post
What i dont understand is why there has been no tv advert campaign on their correct use.

Instructions for care and use are the remit of a market supplier.

When HMG let the craft folk loose and the myriad to purchase from internet auction sites any concept of a standard let alone including instructions went out the window.

Despite the link being via "The Wail" YouGov in a poll confirms what you are saying

Roundtuit  
#696 Posted : 20 October 2020 18:41:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: N Hancock Go to Quoted Post
What i dont understand is why there has been no tv advert campaign on their correct use.

Instructions for care and use are the remit of a market supplier.

When HMG let the craft folk loose and the myriad to purchase from internet auction sites any concept of a standard let alone including instructions went out the window.

Despite the link being via "The Wail" YouGov in a poll confirms what you are saying

achrn  
#697 Posted : 21 October 2020 07:29:26(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

OSHA inspectors have removed 634,515 workers from COVID-19 hazards during the coronavirus pandemic.

Do we have any idea what that means?  If we assume that the first lockdown resulted in 90% of the UK working population either working from home or lounging at home, then the UK measures removed some 25 million workers from COVID-19 hazards...
Roundtuit  
#698 Posted : 23 October 2020 20:05:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

hand sanitiser recall Surprised we have gone this long before this kind of article appeared
Roundtuit  
#699 Posted : 23 October 2020 20:05:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

hand sanitiser recall Surprised we have gone this long before this kind of article appeared
Roundtuit  
#700 Posted : 23 October 2020 20:57:27(UTC)
Roundtuit

Slipping under the radar the end of October marks the end of HMRC allowing VAT exemption on PPE. Fur coats, Rolls Royce, Rolex - no problem with these being taxed as a luxury, PPE like air and water are essentials so why are they attracting this European tax ? Captcha tCVD

Edited by user 23 October 2020 20:59:00(UTC)  | Reason: Samsung autocorrect

Roundtuit  
#701 Posted : 23 October 2020 20:57:27(UTC)
Roundtuit

Slipping under the radar the end of October marks the end of HMRC allowing VAT exemption on PPE. Fur coats, Rolls Royce, Rolex - no problem with these being taxed as a luxury, PPE like air and water are essentials so why are they attracting this European tax ? Captcha tCVD

Edited by user 23 October 2020 20:59:00(UTC)  | Reason: Samsung autocorrect

peter gotch  
#702 Posted : 24 October 2020 10:01:43(UTC)
peter gotch

UK decision to apply a temporary reduction in VAT on PPE so it's for the UK to decide whether or not to extend this.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-zero-rating-for-personal-protective-equipment/vat-zero-rating-for-personal-protective-equipment

Given that there was not consultation before the decision to go zero rated, we can probably expect an announcement to extend the freeze in the next few days.

For the Breixiteers it's surely a no brainer. Easy to get some of the press to sell this as the UK breaking free whilst completely ignoring the fact that the EU encouraged Member States to consider such exemption.

However, we do pay VAT on most "essentials" thought often at a reduced rate. Bread, fuel etc. Sales taxes came into effect in Britain long before the UK existed and have always attracted negative attention!

Justin M. Jackson  
#703 Posted : 24 October 2020 16:41:31(UTC)
Justin M. Jackson

We are asking the same questions of our clients, and asking our teams for any information that could present risk to them or family memebers.

Roundtuit  
#704 Posted : 24 October 2020 18:58:18(UTC)
Roundtuit

Reported

Roundtuit  
#705 Posted : 24 October 2020 18:58:18(UTC)
Roundtuit

Reported