Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<2627282930>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Roundtuit  
#1081 Posted : 31 December 2020 22:44:21(UTC)
Roundtuit

When taking a course of medicine you follow the approved manufacturer instructions. Why then do the medical experts now presume that it is okay to delay second doses by a further nine weeks so we can apply a diluted vaccine more widely? Looking at history the reason we have virulent TB is because the treatment was not applied efficiently. Once again human beings fail to learn from their history.
Roundtuit  
#1082 Posted : 31 December 2020 22:44:21(UTC)
Roundtuit

When taking a course of medicine you follow the approved manufacturer instructions. Why then do the medical experts now presume that it is okay to delay second doses by a further nine weeks so we can apply a diluted vaccine more widely? Looking at history the reason we have virulent TB is because the treatment was not applied efficiently. Once again human beings fail to learn from their history.
The Iron Chicken  
#1083 Posted : 01 January 2021 08:24:38(UTC)
The Iron Chicken

Originally Posted by: arnoldisnumerouno Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: The Iron Chicken Go to Quoted Post
Why did the WHO recently change its definition of herd immunity?How did life on earth managed to survive and flourish for millennia before vaccines? Was the development of the smallpox vaccinebased on observations ofthe natural immunity of milkmaids to cowpox?Is the information being altered to support the agenda?

Very interesting indeed.

Do you recall that the WHO also revised its definition of 'pandemic', back in 2009?

At the time WHO declared the H1N1 swine flu a pandemic, only 144 people worldwide had died from the infection. As Wolfgang Wodarg, then chair of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe’s Health Committee, explained: 

“The WHO had a definition of a pandemic, which it defined as a virus with high mortality and high morbidity. And in 2009 they suddenly dropped those two characteristics, saying nothing about severity or mortality.”

Tweaking their 'strategy' after a 'trial run' perhaps?

The Iron Chicken  
#1084 Posted : 01 January 2021 08:56:15(UTC)
The Iron Chicken

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Two thoughts here...

EITHER their Puppetmasters are instructing them to delay further Covid-19 vaccine doses for nefarious reasons;

OR their Puppetmasters are losing control as other forces are now fully in play, so further doses of what is at best an ineffective and unneccesary vaccine and at worst a Bill Gates 'depopulation special' can be delayed and may well shortly be deemed unnecessary altogether

With respect, there are many people who have not 'learned from their (mid-C20th) history', so cannot see through this Covid-19 'hoax' to the massive global resurgence of fascism and communism - now with added technocracy, medical fascism and eco-fascism due to advances in 'science'.

CptBeaky  
#1085 Posted : 04 January 2021 09:56:21(UTC)
CptBeaky

Iron Chicken, maybe instead of spamming the board up you could just go direct to the families of the 75,000 of the victims of COVID-19 here in the UK, and tell them that it is all a hoax. Go tell them that their grandparents, parents, children... whatever, are all secretly locked up in a building somewhere because the illuminati want to vaccinate the world, to reduce the population. (which seems wierd since the virus seems to be doing a good job of that already)

Whatever you do, please stop posting anti science on here.

We are H&S professionals. We rely on experts to keep us safe. When we call on an expert to examine something because we don't have any expertise in it ourself, we have to trust they are honest. If you don't trust experts, you have no place in the H&S profession. If you don't trust science, then go live in a mud hut and live off the land, because everything you have is the result of scientific study.

At what point, exactly, do you think doctors, biologists, virologists etc. are taken to one side during their training and told the "truth", and told to keep it a secret?

thanks 4 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
biker1 on 04/01/2021(UTC), Alan Haynes on 04/01/2021(UTC), John Murray on 04/01/2021(UTC), flysafe on 05/01/2021(UTC)
biker1  
#1086 Posted : 04 January 2021 11:08:10(UTC)
biker1

Iron Chicken - I consider your posts an insult to the families of those who have died from COVID, and the larger number of people made very ill by it, and still suffering months after being infected. Conspiracy theorists, anti-lockdown protestors,anti-vaccers and the plain selfish are the people who have prolonged the pandemic. Whilst we can criticise the government for their inept handling of the pandemic, at the end of the day it is people who spread the virus, and try to justify their selfishness by dreaming up wild theories about world domination, or value their freedom above the lives of others. Such people are an affront to the majority trying to do their best to contain the virus. You are posting gibberish on the wrong forum, so please return with the likes of David Icke, David Eades, and Piers Corbyn to the planet Zog.

Edited by user 04 January 2021 11:13:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users thanked biker1 for this useful post.
Alan Haynes on 04/01/2021(UTC), CptBeaky on 04/01/2021(UTC), John Murray on 04/01/2021(UTC), flysafe on 05/01/2021(UTC)
Alan Haynes  
#1087 Posted : 04 January 2021 11:30:03(UTC)
Alan Haynes

Originally Posted by: The Iron Chicken Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post
Two thoughts here...EITHER their Puppetmasters are instructing them to delay further Covid-19 vaccinedoses for nefarious reasons; OR their Puppetmasters are losing control as other forces are now fully in play, so further doses of what is at best an ineffective and unneccesaryvaccine and at worst a Bill Gates 'depopulation special' can be delayed and may well shortly be deemed unnecessary altogetherWith respect, there are many people who have not 'learned from their (mid-C20th)history', socannot see through this Covid-19 'hoax'to the massive global resurgence of fascism and communism - now with added technocracy, medical fascismand eco-fascism due to advances in 'science'.
Reported, as its absolute b@&&0cks
thanks 4 users thanked Alan Haynes for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 04/01/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 04/01/2021(UTC), John Murray on 04/01/2021(UTC), flysafe on 05/01/2021(UTC)
chris.packham  
#1088 Posted : 04 January 2021 11:53:53(UTC)
chris.packham

I presume that mr chicken also believes everything that Trump says, i.e. that 'alternative facts' are more reliable than reality. I read somewhere that a doctor working in ICU has had persons dying from COVID-19 maintaining to their last breath that there is no such virus and that this is just normal flu! No accounting for some folks!

peter gotch  
#1089 Posted : 04 January 2021 12:54:58(UTC)
peter gotch

Ironically, even the authors of the "Great Barrington Declaration" see a place for vaccines to help curb      Covid-19.

John Murray  
#1090 Posted : 04 January 2021 14:35:58(UTC)
John Murray

Imagine being a doctor having to triage a patient to palliative care because the ICU is full [of people who have a chance of responding].

Meanwhile, the internet is full of people, barely qualified to adequately manage their own toilet hygiene, effectively stating that the health profession is killing people in hospitals.

Hmm..

I'm in list-4. Middle of February.

To all those happily stating they won't be having "it", please notify your health provider in good time, so yours can be allocated to another person. By the way, healthy persons under 50, and healthy children, are not going to be vaccinated. The lists start at 50.

Holliday42333  
#1091 Posted : 04 January 2021 15:01:32(UTC)
Holliday42333

Originally Posted by: John Murray Go to Quoted Post

By the way, healthy persons under 50, and healthy children, are not going to be vaccinated. The lists start at 50.

Have you got a source for this John?  I only ask as I already know two healthy people under 50 who have had the vaccine.  Yes, they work in the NHS but not in critical roles (physiotherapist and GP back office admin).

Edited by user 04 January 2021 15:05:53(UTC)  | Reason: Terrible grammar correction

Evans38004  
#1092 Posted : 04 January 2021 15:23:33(UTC)
Evans38004

Originally Posted by: Holliday42333 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: John Murray Go to Quoted Post

By the way, healthy persons under 50, and healthy children, are not going to be vaccinated. The lists start at 50.

Have you got a source for this John?  I only ask as I already know two healthy people under 50 who have had the vaccine.  Yes, they work in the NHS but not in critical roles (physiotherapist and GP back office admin).

Phase 1 seems to be nine-priority (healthy over 50s is #9)

Phase 2 will be for te healthy under 50s

Source BBC website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55045639

thanks 1 user thanked Evans38004 for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 05/01/2021(UTC)
John Murray  
#1093 Posted : 04 January 2021 15:23:40(UTC)
John Murray

You can seek the govt vax list. NHS hospitals are employers. Since all their employees are in a risky environment they’ll probably all be vaccinated. From doctors to cleaners, all have been become ill with covid. The difference between frontline and patient-facing seems rather irrelevant!
Kate  
#1094 Posted : 04 January 2021 15:45:29(UTC)
Kate

The priority list can be seen here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/priority-groups-for-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-advice-from-the-jcvi-30-december-2020/joint-committee-on-vaccination-and-immunisation-advice-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination-30-december-2020#vaccine-priority-groups-advice-on-30-december-2020

Priority 1 includes carers of care home residents and priority 2 includes frontline health and social care workers.

All the rest is age and vulnerability based and lowest at priority 9 is the over 50s.

Personally I think vaccinating the vaccinators is pretty important ...

biker1  
#1095 Posted : 05 January 2021 09:39:46(UTC)
biker1

An intensive care doctor said recently that those who ignore COVID restrictions have blood on their hands. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Roundtuit  
#1096 Posted : 05 January 2021 12:22:44(UTC)
Roundtuit

Should the priveldge of a Passport be withdrawn from those "celebrities" who appear unable to stay at home?

Roundtuit  
#1097 Posted : 05 January 2021 12:22:44(UTC)
Roundtuit

Should the priveldge of a Passport be withdrawn from those "celebrities" who appear unable to stay at home?

Holliday42333  
#1098 Posted : 05 January 2021 16:31:58(UTC)
Holliday42333

Looks like its school closure in name only too.

Our youngests Junior school has just notified parents that over 50% of kids are expected to be in school tommorrow as the parents have claimed 'essential or vulnerable' status.  Until further notice on-line/remote learning will not be available as the teachers will be teaching the kids attending school as they can't do both.

CptBeaky  
#1099 Posted : 06 January 2021 14:18:25(UTC)
CptBeaky

Whilst I can understand your frustration over schools, as I have pointed out on a different topic, what is the option left for manufacturing/construction workers? These industries (along with infrastructure) have been told to remain open, and yet they are not to count as "critical workers". This leaves many (low paid) workers with no child care, or no income.

Just today I have written a letter for an employee asking that his school allow his children to attend as they are "essential to the provision of other key goods" and therefore can be classed as a "critical worker". I am aware that I am stretching the definition of "key goods", but he can't afford to take several weeks off, and we can't afford to lose members of staff for that amount of time, whilst still trying to run a business.

Throughout this pandemic the government has dispensed money like a broken ATM, but completely missed the target when it comes to money that would actually reduce the spread of COVID-19. If the government, for example, paid peoples wages when they have to isolate, then people would be more inclined to get the app, and isolate when required.

As always the manufacturing industry muddles on, whilst the service and care sectors get all the praise. I don't think people even consider how goods get to shelves anymore, it is all just magic. Without a manufacturing sector we would have nothing, no food, no medicine, no child labour clothes purchased online at such ridiculously low prices that it is cheaper to destroy returns than resell them, we wouldn't even have a pot to piddle in.

(been a while since my last rant, and at least this one wasn't animal abuse related)

thanks 3 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
MikeKelly on 06/01/2021(UTC), Roundtuit on 06/01/2021(UTC), biker1 on 06/01/2021(UTC)
Holliday42333  
#1100 Posted : 06 January 2021 14:46:18(UTC)
Holliday42333

Mine wasn't a frustrated comment over schools in the context of 'why are people still sending their kids'.  I, for one, understand the difficulties caused.

For most its hard enough leaving their secondary school age kids in alone to manage by themselves let alone junior school kids.  Thats just not realistic.

The comment was more regarding that the government really hasn't thought this through as unlike the first lockdown vast swathes of people are working that weren't in March-July.  Their kids have to be looked after somehow. 

The result is some risk reduction but certainly not the levels of the first wave.  Its hard to find a shop that is fully shut and schools are largely open in all but description.

thanks 2 users thanked Holliday42333 for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 06/01/2021(UTC), biker1 on 06/01/2021(UTC)
biker1  
#1101 Posted : 06 January 2021 16:29:41(UTC)
biker1

As Paul Daniels used to put it, you'll like this, not a lot, but you'll like it. A member of my family has had to go into work because the NHS trust he works for has different rules for isolation than those that appear on the gov.uk website. If they can change the rules, what chance do the rest of us have?

I see that the GPs are now trying to curry favour with their patients by revolting against the government U-turn on the gap between the fist and second vaccination. Too little too late, I'm afraid, as the behaviour of our GP surgery has been frankly disgraceful throughout the pandemic. Paramedics and hospitals have been filling the gap caused by the GPs locking their doors to most of the public, and they are getting fed up with it. GPs have been knocking themselves off the pedestal we have put them on for years, and this has accelerated during the pandemic.

John Murray  
#1102 Posted : 06 January 2021 17:25:54(UTC)
John Murray

Wot e sed....
John Murray  
#1103 Posted : 06 January 2021 20:32:50(UTC)
John Murray

Originally Posted by: biker1 Go to Quoted Post

I see that the GPs are now trying to curry favour with their patients by revolting against the government U-turn on the gap between the fist and second vaccination. Too little too late, I'm afraid, as the behaviour of our GP surgery has been frankly disgraceful throughout the pandemic. Paramedics and hospitals have been filling the gap caused by the GPs locking their doors to most of the public, and they are getting fed up with it. GPs have been knocking themselves off the pedestal we have put them on for years, and this has accelerated during the pandemic.

The GPs' and staff are being vaccinated in list-2.

Maybe they'll be sufficiently immunised to vaccinate us by...........sometime in April? Not going to hold my breath.

If you have some of these symptoms: Headache/loss-or-change-of-taste/temperature/sore-throat/runny-nose/aches-and-pains................then don't waste time ringing them. After the 20-minute wait while you run through the various menus and get to talk to a minion, who filters the dross from the genuine article, you then get to talk to a nurse (who runs through the list above) you will then inevitably be told to have a CV19 test. Naturally, it isn't done there, so I was supposed to go to the tent-city set-up for tests.....if I didn't have CV-19 by the time I started to queue for the test, I would have by the time I got out. Sod all that. I'll just die in the warm.

thanks 1 user thanked John Murray for this useful post.
biker1 on 07/01/2021(UTC)
biker1  
#1104 Posted : 07 January 2021 09:28:20(UTC)
biker1

Too true John. That's assuming you can get an appointment, which at our surgery is like trying to win an auction on Ebay. Their default position is to send you to hospital, so the paramedics and hospital doctors are doing their jobs. Oh, and you can do your own observations and tell them, and they proceed on the basis of what you tell them. The TV show GPs: Behind Closed Doors takes on an ironic meaning these days. And trying to get into the surgery is like trying to break into Fort Knox, and they won't answer queries at the door, you have to stand there and phone them. Absolutely ridiculous.

Mind you, my wife and eldest have had to go for COVID tests this week, and it is quite well organised and they got tests the same day, one result came back the following evening.

chris.packham  
#1105 Posted : 07 January 2021 10:21:03(UTC)
chris.packham

I see that the World Health Organization has expressed concern about the UK Government policy of delaying the second injection as they do not feel the evidence that this is acceptable exists.

CptBeaky  
#1106 Posted : 07 January 2021 10:42:13(UTC)
CptBeaky

Originally Posted by: chris.packham Go to Quoted Post

I see that the World Health Organization has expressed concern about the UK Government policy of delaying the second injection as they do not feel the evidence that this is acceptable exists.

Get ready for another handbrake turn from Boris

biker1  
#1107 Posted : 07 January 2021 11:00:16(UTC)
biker1

Originally Posted by: CptBeaky Go to Quoted Post

Get ready for another handbrake turn from Boris

Well it won't be the first by any means, from a government that doesn't really seem to know what it's doing. It seems to me that the only reason for delaying the second vaccination is a numbers game - you can cover more people with the first injection, and not based on clinical advice. After the abject failures of the track and trace system (who did the programming - Forrest Gump?), and the wishy washy tier system, and the token attempts at enforcement of restrictions, they are now pinnning their hopes on the vaccination programme. Their approach to this flies in the face of the results from clinical trials, but hey, who wants to listen to the scientists when we have brilliant government ministers?!

A Kurdziel  
#1108 Posted : 07 January 2021 11:03:51(UTC)
A Kurdziel

So, the government is trying to recruit volunteers to give the vaccinations but they are then requiring that the volunteers have to go through a whole load of steps before they can do this (see this in the BBC website- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55516277) Meanwhile, Pharmacists, who are trained to give inoculations and shouldn’t need to go through all of the bureaucratic steps have been told that they are not wanted.

Not sure who is running this but it does look like a headless chicken convention.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
RVThompson on 07/01/2021(UTC)
Holliday42333  
#1109 Posted : 07 January 2021 11:26:24(UTC)
Holliday42333

Normally Sir Chris Whitty is very good in the press conferences, but on this subect he was his least convincing and most stuttery.

There is never going to be a clear cut decision on this without hindsigt though is there?

x of most vulnerable at 90% protection versus 2x at 70% (very round numbers).

If you want speed above all else 2x at 70% does look the better option.

Holliday42333  
#1110 Posted : 07 January 2021 11:33:11(UTC)
Holliday42333

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Meanwhile, Pharmacists, who are trained to give inoculations and shouldn’t need to go through all of the bureaucratic steps have been told that they are not wanted.

Isn't it the case that Pharmasists have been allocated all flu jabs and other stuff normally done by health centres etc to free up those staff for the Covid jab?  Thats not quite the same as not wanted, more re-allocation of resource.

chris42  
#1111 Posted : 07 January 2021 13:33:06(UTC)
chris42

Is it 70% effective as I heard this number on TV yesterday, but I could have sworn that the number after the first jab was 52% effective, being touted in November?

Also, on yesterday’s daytime news they were calling for volunteers to be trained to give the Jabs. The woman interviewed was not a Health professional, but undertaking the NHS training to be able to give the jab.

Let’s say it is ok for the jabs to be 12 weeks apart, if they wait the 12 weeks what will be the chances there will be a screw up and it ends up being longer (or never).

It’s a good job there is a lockdown as we would not want the Gov to try organise a social drinking event in a brewery.

Chris

John Murray  
#1112 Posted : 07 January 2021 14:50:50(UTC)
John Murray

The MP in charge of arranging the vaccination logistics, Nadhim Zahawi MP, is the same one that claimed for heating for his stables. He also started YouGov, so any polls on the efficiency of the vaccine roll-out should be taken with a shovel of Sodium Chloride.

The Pfizer vaccine efficacy is 52% after the first dose, and up to 95% after second dose. Second dose a minimum of 21 days after the first

The AstraZeneca vaccine efficacy is around 50% after the first dose and nearly 70% after the second dose. Second dose at minimum 28 days. However, after the first dose it is supposedly 100% efficacious at preventing serious infection. One supposes that the Pfizer vaccine is similar to that.

Pharmacists have a problem, given that those vaccinated have to wait 15 minutes in case they have a reaction to the vaccine. I expect that will be ignored and that parish councils will be arranging the roll-out in tent cities in the Thames estuary. On a Sunday afternoon.

We're not in a lockdown, the govt just thinks we are. Traffic has not dropped much. The park is full during the day, and filling-up rapidly at 0800z this morning. Aldi had a half-full carpark at 0830. The local hospital has a full ICU and over 100 patients in critical-care wards. Good job I've got a good supply of non-valved FFP3 facemasks. Blood test tomorrow: I'll take the FFP3R respirator.

thanks 2 users thanked John Murray for this useful post.
biker1 on 07/01/2021(UTC), A Kurdziel on 08/01/2021(UTC)
biker1  
#1113 Posted : 07 January 2021 15:20:07(UTC)
biker1

In the good old days, GPs or practice nurses used to give vaccinations (last year the GPs rolled up to do the flu jabs), This year it's just practice nurses, and community nurses for the housebound. Some GPs have even asked community nurses to pop in to check patients, rather than get off their backsides and do it themselves. It's ok apparently for paramedics to go into peoples' homes and assess them close up, but not GPs. At our practice, a home visit from a GP is a distant fond memory.

The test and vaccination programmes do seem to be reasonably well organised (let's face it, they've had plenty of time to prepare), albeit a significant journey is often required, which could be difficult to those without their own transport (and who wants to use public transport at the present time?).

John Murray  
#1114 Posted : 07 January 2021 17:07:16(UTC)
John Murray

I suppose we forget that every GP has done their time in hospital, and that many do 1 day each week in hospital anyway.

Some have been called into hospitals depending upon their training specialty. Many nurses also.

NHSEngland has stated that all single-doctor practices (10%) are at high risk of disruption if the GP is infected and 33% of those are run by a doctor him/her-self in a group at extreme risk (by age). Many also fall into high risk groupings further, by virtue of ethnicity. Many GP staff are also higher-risk-by-age etc.

500 Gps' have been recognised as at "high risk"

400 GPs' have been recognised as at "extreme risk"

achrn  
#1115 Posted : 08 January 2021 10:02:37(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: biker1 Go to Quoted Post
Paramedics and hospitals have been filling the gap caused by the GPs locking their doors to most of the public, and they are getting fed up with it.

... and the ambulance services are not able to keep up.

Earlier this week my elderly and rather frail father-in-law fell and broke his hip, and my wife called an ambulance at about 10am.  An ambulance got to him just after midnight.  We don't know how long he spent in the ambulance parked outside A&E, but we know it was hours. He still hadn't been X-rayed by 6pm the next day (then 32 hours after the fall).  You're supposed to be operated on within 36 hours in these cases and they hadn't even confirmed the break by then.

He has now been operated on, and apparently it went smoothly (but no-one has been able to visit).

John Murray  
#1116 Posted : 08 January 2021 10:13:12(UTC)
John Murray

Hope he gets well. The local hospital has 3 MRI suites and 3 CT suites. 1 CT suite is operational, 2 MRI suites. Normal servicing stopped months ago, repair services are patchy. Both repair and service are contracted out. The downtime due to disinfection routines is lengthening the process and staff illness is increasing. The trust has been advertising for radiographers for years.
biker1  
#1117 Posted : 08 January 2021 15:07:25(UTC)
biker1

That is absolutely appalling, achrn, hope he recovers ok from such an ordeal. Unfortunately, the ambulance service is being dumped on. They have long been used to substitute for the lack of out of hours GP services. In the current situation, they are now being used to substitute for a lack of face to face consultations with GPs, home visits by GPs, and even as a taxi service to hospital as GPs seem to automatically send a lot of people to hospital that they would normally have assessed themselves. The situation is ridiculous. Other health professionals, whether community/district nurses or hospital doctors and nurses, are carrying on dealing with patients. GPs, on the other hand, will only offer telephone consultations, if you are lucky enough to bag one. Patients are being asked to provide their own clinical observations, and GPs use their powers of ESP to make diagnoses over the phone.

There needs to be a reckoning when this pandemic is under control.

biker1  
#1118 Posted : 11 January 2021 12:16:13(UTC)
biker1

I see that according to the mayor, the virus is ouit of control in London. This comes as no surprise to me, for two reasons. Firstly, a virus will thrive most in heavily populated areas, where it has plenty of opportunity to spread, and cities don't come more heavily populated than London. Secondly, it has seen the majority of anti-lockdown protests, raves, street parties, people crowded on to public transport, and general idiocy. The perfect storm in which a virus can spread. Three London boroughs have been particularly hard hit, with infection rates around one in every fifteen people. The hospitals are not going to cope much longer with this, and some have already gone onto emergency medicine practice. And yet, what do we see - another lunatic protest in Clapham. Unbelievable. 

Holliday42333  
#1119 Posted : 11 January 2021 12:48:59(UTC)
Holliday42333

I have only read the BBC account of Professor Chris Whitty's interview this morning, but in my opinion this man needs listening to far more closely by far more people.

Plus those that claim to know better than Professor Whitty need to really back up their claim.

chris.packham  
#1120 Posted : 11 January 2021 14:47:31(UTC)
chris.packham

Read the thread on Hand decontamination for Covid-19, then tell me that hand washing is the sole/ultimate answer for hand decontamination as Prof Whitty seems to  maintain. OH, an the official guidance (NICE accredited) for NHS England is that with two minor exceptions, hand decontamination should be by alcohol sanitising rub!

Holliday42333  
#1121 Posted : 11 January 2021 15:19:11(UTC)
Holliday42333

Don't worry Chris, I am sure Professor Whitty used alcohol rub rather than hand washing when he was working relief shifts as a physician on the covid wards of his hospital over christmas.

IMO he is communicating hand cleanlness by the most acceptable method for the mass of the population.  If he started promoting alcohol based sanitiser over hand washing he would have people baying for blood over who is going to pay and availability.  No on e can really argue against having to wash their hands more often.

This is different to not understanding the technical issues/benefits of both methods.

Edited by user 11 January 2021 15:20:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

biker1  
#1122 Posted : 11 January 2021 15:27:40(UTC)
biker1

Looking at the responses on this thread, and the one about the 'mask mandate', I can only state the following.

1. I really don't care who enforces COVID precautions, HSE/Public health/police, they are vital things that need to be done

2. The wearing of face coverings is one of a range of precautions, but an important one

3. Face coverings are not PPE, but are to try and protect other people from yourself

4. Face coverings might not be perfect, but they are better than nothing

5. I think anything that has the potential to kill people or make them very ill should be of concern to H&S professionals, whether it is strictly a H&S or public health issue

6. Can we please stop arguing about this?

Edited by user 11 January 2021 15:28:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users thanked biker1 for this useful post.
Kate on 11/01/2021(UTC), Holliday42333 on 11/01/2021(UTC), Alan Haynes on 11/01/2021(UTC), CptBeaky on 12/01/2021(UTC), Brian Hagyard on 13/01/2021(UTC)