Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
D.Sherry  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2021 07:47:04(UTC)
D.Sherry

Hi all,

I'm a new IOSH affiliate member and not sure which industry category on the IOSH website mine falls under.

I am a heavy vehicle mechanic and would normaly select "Transport" or "Automotive" but those options are not available here. I could loosely place it one or two of the options available but dont want to select the wrong one.

Also i noticed that i have one organisation token to spend but i cant find any information on what this toke is exactly??

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

gleichner  
#2 Posted : 06 January 2021 07:05:23(UTC)
gleichner

Have you received any answer? 

2 player games

chris42  
#3 Posted : 06 January 2021 09:12:38(UTC)
chris42

Yes, the groups are a bit light in some areas, as there is not even a general engineering group. I’m not sure it makes a lot of difference though. My understanding you can go to IOSH meetings from other groups. I would suggest you consider where you will be going with this training in your career. For instance, do you intend to be the company H&S person one day, if so, you may want to consider the construction group as you will need to be involved with building maintenance etc.

Perhaps others have noted a difference but not me.

Chris

peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 06 January 2021 12:00:04(UTC)
peter gotch

DS - sorry but despite having been a member of IOSH for 30 years I haven't a clue what an "organisation token" might be.

You should be able to opt for more than one of the limited number of IOSH Groups. As Chris has indicated most Group events are open to people not formally aligned to the relevant Group.

Edited by user 06 January 2021 12:01:52(UTC)  | Reason: Minor clarification

D.Sherry  
#5 Posted : 11 January 2021 14:59:39(UTC)
D.Sherry

Thanks for the replies,

Im not expecting to work in the H&S side of my current company as the dedicated role is a regional position which requires someone with experience and CMIOSH. I am a shift Safety Rep in work already but this position is in name only as have been given no duties or extra time outwith my daily tasks and duties as a technician & anything i do bring to the attention of management regarding non compliance or reporting potential hazards is generally pushed to the side and things continue as they are...So there is no sign of me being able gain practical H&S experience in my current role.

With regards to industry selection, I will select one of the options which my industry "loosely" falls under and take things from there. I am a member of the West of Scotland IOSH branch now and looking forward to meeting and learning from other members online and hopefully in the future in person at branch meetings.