Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
badger123  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2021 19:30:37(UTC)
badger123

Hello,

I am looking for a career change towards health and safety. I plan on doing a IOSH Managing Safely course and then my NEBOSH Level 3 Certificate.

I have seen plenty of places where I can book these courses individually online. However, I have also come across some companies which offer a training package involving these two courses and have a 'guaranteed job' placement at the end of it.

Two examples I have seen are companies called IT Career Switch, and ITCS. 

Does anyone have any experience using these companies? The rest of the internet seems to have mixed messages. I'm not sure what help they would able to give me towards getting a job, and what sort of companies they work with to assign student to after they complete the course. 

Thanks.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2021 21:58:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

As with everything in life "...if it seems too good to be true..."

My brother in law has fallen for similar schemes ALL with supposed post training employment.

Most of the schemes could not even issue his qualification certificate without receipt of their "administration fee" on top of training costs already received (and not mentioned "up front"), let alone provide any promised employment.

But then you already suspected this may be a possibility before asking the question.....

Most in H&S develop within their current employment, train and move on - not train externally & hope.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2021 21:58:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

As with everything in life "...if it seems too good to be true..."

My brother in law has fallen for similar schemes ALL with supposed post training employment.

Most of the schemes could not even issue his qualification certificate without receipt of their "administration fee" on top of training costs already received (and not mentioned "up front"), let alone provide any promised employment.

But then you already suspected this may be a possibility before asking the question.....

Most in H&S develop within their current employment, train and move on - not train externally & hope.

badger123  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2021 23:42:38(UTC)
badger123

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post
As with everything in life"...if it seems too good to be true..."My brother in law has fallen for similar schemesALL with supposedpost training employment. Most of the schemes could not even issuehis qualification certificate without receipt of their "administration fee" on top of training costs already received (and not mentioned "up front"), let alone provide any promised employment. But then you already suspected this may be a possibility before asking the question.....Most in H&S develop within their current employment, train and move on - not train externally & hope.
Thanks for the advice. I will stay away. Regarding entering industry, I have plenty of experience as a supervisor on construction sites which I hope would be beneficial, unfortunately my current role doesn't offer me much in the way of h&s training opportunities, especially now I am working from home most days.
peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 11 February 2021 12:33:43(UTC)
peter gotch

Badger, it's similar to those who guarantee that you will pass a course where they are the provider. Would you trust them?

Pubcat  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2021 18:00:55(UTC)
Pubcat

I keep getting sent these "Job Vacancies" by Reed & others. I wonder where they get these guaranteed jobs from? I've been looking for an entry-level H&S job since gaining my NCRQ Diploma in Applied H&S in May. I've seen very few vacancies, and none in my area (Bedfordshire). 

earlrobinson  
#7 Posted : 17 February 2021 13:46:37(UTC)
earlrobinson

Is there anyone who knows such a certification program that is valid also in Europe? I'm looking for a career switch in Germany but I don't know which programs are valid in Europe. Also considering taking language courses in Germany and preparing for the exams for a while in my parents' property in Germany. I can talk german good enough but I'm not sure if "good enough" is enough for a career switch...

Alan Haynes  
#8 Posted : 17 February 2021 15:24:42(UTC)
Alan Haynes

Reported - links to German estate agent