Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
M C Chiratcu  
#1 Posted : 10 December 2020 11:03:39(UTC)
M C Chiratcu

HI all,

Hope you're doing well, was wondering if i can get an advice on if i should go for an EAR for my refered Unit B National Diploma ?

I managed to do 41 , was wondering on chances of getting a pass afeter an EAR  in this circumstance ? 

Thank you all.

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 10 December 2020 21:33:21(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: M C Chiratcu Go to Quoted Post

HI all,

Hope you're doing well, was wondering if i can get an advice on if i should go for an EAR for my refered Unit B National Diploma ?

I managed to do 41 , was wondering on chances of getting a pass afeter an EAR  in this circumstance ? 

Thank you all.

Several years ago I failed a NEBOSH exam, I scored 43, I just paid for a resit as I didn't want to pay for EAR and then potentially another resit. Two weeks after I did the resit I got a letter from NEBOSH saying my first exam paper was under marked and I had actually scored 48, which meant I passed. 

Even though I did not request an EAR, it can be a worthwhile request, but if I remember correctly, my tutors only recommended it if failing by 1 or 2 marks. In your case, I am not sure if it will be worth it, unless your happy to pay both EAR and test fees, should your EAR request be unsucessful.

Hope this helps

thanks 1 user thanked George_Young for this useful post.
M C Chiratcu on 10/12/2020(UTC)
Mark-W  
#3 Posted : 14 December 2020 13:35:44(UTC)
Mark-W

When I completed my Gen cert, the instructor informed the course that if we failed by 2 or 3 marks then the paper would automaticaly be remarked by someone else. 

Not sure how true it was but she was quite high up in NEBOSH at some point.

redspelly  
#4 Posted : 12 January 2021 11:48:40(UTC)
redspelly

I had the same issue a few years ago with Unit B - I was give a score of 43 and went down the EAR route - the remark came back as 44 and still missed out by 1 mark - I subsequently resat Unit B and passed - no regrets about going for the EAR but was gutted at the time that they couldnt have found an extra mark to give me the pass

Nike  
#5 Posted : 21 January 2021 11:17:34(UTC)
Nike

Hi
Can u share me your experience post completion of your NEBOSH diploma examination.
Elbailer  
#6 Posted : 17 March 2021 20:00:14(UTC)
Elbailer

There can be a small percentage difference between markers, they’re human apparently. So, an EAR is worth considering if you are 2,3,4 marks adrift from a pass mark. It’s a gamble of course, because you may have obtained your mark from a marker who already gave you the highest mark, and another marker may mark the same or even mark you down. I’d suggest it’s a personal choice but other than cost, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

So, some will gain, some won’t. If you think you did well, then apply. If you’re less convinced, or don’t want to risk the fee, then pay to resit the exam instead.