Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scunny01  
#1 Posted : 01 September 2021 16:51:54(UTC)
scunny01

I would just like to say to any Health and Safety Graduate Members of IOSH who are either preparing or contemplating becoming Chartered - Then please do not worry as i have had experience only last week where i had my Peer Review Interview (Remote Call) and the panel was absolutley fantastic with regarding putting you at ease before the interview started.

There has been many horrible stories about the Peer Interview (which i have ignored) and this is not the case.

Plan - Ensure you have lot's of examples to hand and ensure you sell yourself and what you did - I conducted this, I ensured this, I implemented this, I chaired a meeting, I, I, I.

4 Pillars of IOSH - RESPECT, SERVICE, COMPETENCE, INTEGRITY - They will definatley ask you to give some examples.

Policies and Risk Assessement, Risk Control and Accident Investigation is a must to learn and put examples against those topics.

I went down the Open Book Assessment route - IPD - 48 Multiple Choice and then Two Assignments (700 words) which you had to complete in 5 days.

Once i had completed this i had my CPD Audit which usually takes a couple of days if everything is up to date on MyIOSH.

I have only been in Health and Safety 8 years, previously was in the Army for 25 years and so it has taken me this long to get to CMIOSH Status and the feeling after i passed was out of this world.  All i say is give it a go - You only live once - Even if you are unsuccessful then it's experience and you will get some good feedback with regarding areas where you need to concentrate.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 01 September 2021 18:06:49(UTC)
Roundtuit

Hmmm... H&S is reliant upon "I"?

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 01 September 2021 18:06:49(UTC)
Roundtuit

Hmmm... H&S is reliant upon "I"?

preveli  
#4 Posted : 02 September 2021 07:39:07(UTC)
preveli

Congratulations on achieving your chartered status, and thank you for the insight.  I would like to be ready to go for mine next year, I just need to be more discplined in updating my CPD on a more regular basis.  Anyway well done on your achievement.

mihai_qa  
#5 Posted : 02 September 2021 07:46:26(UTC)
mihai_qa

I've booked my PRI for the 21st of september. The one thing I dread is the "I" part...spent most of my career trying to get people to change it to "we", it feels unnatural.

Oh well, when in Rome...

thanks 2 users thanked mihai_qa for this useful post.
Roundtuit on 02/09/2021(UTC), forestgate2016 on 04/01/2022(UTC)
peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 02 September 2021 12:14:41(UTC)
peter gotch

Mihai - I understand the logic but it IS rather artificial.

Almost everything a competent OSH professional does is dependent on collaboration and a team effort, with the OSH professional facilitating or providing a level of expert input into decision making.

Of course, like in anything in life, there are exceptions to every rule - as example I did single handedly develop a number of options for a client to use to determine whether investments intended to improve workforce health and safety were "proportionate", but even then I needed client input into what they needed.

But going back to the initial thread "I chaired a meeting", but in reality much of the constructive thinking possibly came from others at the meeting.

Further, the statement "I chaired a meeting" doesn't actually say whether "I was competent to chair the meeting"!

I have seen far too many CVs that claim that an OSH professional has reduced accident rates by whatever percent or to Zero. Never going to be true - might have helped get the culture in which improvements are made, but unless they have the purse strings cannot do it alone.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
mihai_qa on 04/09/2021(UTC)
WatsonD  
#7 Posted : 02 September 2021 12:45:08(UTC)
WatsonD

I have to disagree. If I interview a candidate - for whatever - I want to know about them and what they did. I want to unpick and see what parts they specifically contributed to.

If I hear too much 'we did this and we did that' I would question who exactly did what and how much of it was the candidate - or whether were they just along for the ride.

Taking intiative and being a team player are not mutally exclusive things. You are not a team unless everyone plays a part (if not it is not a team) - and I want to know what was your part, and how do you fit into that team dynamic.

Talking about better engagement with others and working more colaboratively can start with an 'I', surely?

Richard Ball  
#8 Posted : 02 September 2021 14:00:21(UTC)
Richard Ball

Congratulations on passing, I am looking to now go chartered. Similar to yourself i completed 22 years in the military and then left in 2013 to head into construction safety - i didnt want to rush to get CMIOSH but now feel i am ready for the step. I feel i am competent enough and the role i am in as head fo H&S for a principle contractor but havent found the time

I too will be looking at heading down the open assessment route - any advice is always welcome

regards

Edited by user 02 September 2021 14:01:04(UTC)  | Reason: spelling correction

peter gotch  
#9 Posted : 02 September 2021 14:12:54(UTC)
peter gotch

WatsonD - perhaps we don't really disagree.

Surely if you were interviewing someone you would apply a similar strategy to probing someone who seemed to be taking all the credit for a team effort?

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
WatsonD on 03/09/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 02 September 2021 19:48:45(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post
"I chaired a meeting"

A good meeting chair should contribute absolutely nothing to the overall outcome - they keep it on time, to agenda and try to ensure everyone participates in a civil manner.

Occassionally they hit the headlines for 15 minutes of fame.

Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 02 September 2021 19:48:45(UTC)
Roundtuit

"I chaired a meeting"

A good meeting chair should contribute absolutely nothing to the overall outcome - they keep it on time, to agenda and try to ensure everyone participates in a civil manner.

Occassionally they hit the headlines for 15 minutes of fame.

WatsonD  
#12 Posted : 03 September 2021 13:18:04(UTC)
WatsonD

WatsonD - perhaps we don't really disagree.

Surely if you were interviewing someone you would apply a similar strategy to probing someone who seemed to be taking all the credit for a team effort?

Its all a judgement call isn't it - interviewing, I mean. But, yes additional follow up questions are important to extract sufficient detail. I am sure that was the case in the peer review.

I just didn't feel that the peer interview was wrong (or indeed unusual) in their approach by wanting to know what the candidate did and the suggested use of the pronoun 'I' rather than we.

I'm not an IOSH fanboy or anything

Shopland23872  
#13 Posted : 06 September 2021 07:54:17(UTC)
Shopland23872

I have to agree about the quality of the peer review panel (and the false horror story rumours).

It was quite a few years ago that I passed mine now, but I do remember hearing horror stories about it being likened to being in front of a tribunal or something similar, prior to attending.

It was nothing like that (mine was face to face pre-COVID) and the panel were great, easy going, relaxed and friendly. It is exactly what it says it is, a peer review, the panel are your peers (equals) and they want you to pass, so they assist you in doing so as best they can (within their permitted perameters).

I would imagine that the only thing preventing people from taking this next step is the 'stage fright worry'. I had that, but it leaves you within a couple of minutes or your review starting, because the panel instantly put you at ease.

Congratulations on your new CMIOSH status.

thanks 1 user thanked Shopland23872 for this useful post.
mihai_qa on 06/09/2021(UTC)
Mark-W  
#14 Posted : 18 October 2021 11:41:47(UTC)
Mark-W

Originally Posted by: scunny01 Go to Quoted Post

I would just like to say to any Health and Safety Graduate Members of IOSH who are either preparing or contemplating becoming Chartered - Then please do not worry as i have had experience only last week where i had my Peer Review Interview (Remote Call) and the panel was absolutley fantastic with regarding putting you at ease before the interview started.

There has been many horrible stories about the Peer Interview (which i have ignored) and this is not the case.

Plan - Ensure you have lot's of examples to hand and ensure you sell yourself and what you did - I conducted this, I ensured this, I implemented this, I chaired a meeting, I, I, I.

4 Pillars of IOSH - RESPECT, SERVICE, COMPETENCE, INTEGRITY - They will definatley ask you to give some examples.

Policies and Risk Assessement, Risk Control and Accident Investigation is a must to learn and put examples against those topics.

I went down the Open Book Assessment route - IPD - 48 Multiple Choice and then Two Assignments (700 words) which you had to complete in 5 days.

Once i had completed this i had my CPD Audit which usually takes a couple of days if everything is up to date on MyIOSH.

I have only been in Health and Safety 8 years, previously was in the Army for 25 years and so it has taken me this long to get to CMIOSH Status and the feeling after i passed was out of this world.  All i say is give it a go - You only live once - Even if you are unsuccessful then it's experience and you will get some good feedback with regarding areas where you need to concentrate.

Well done on CMIOSH, I think I know you from previous employment. Have you ever worked for SAAB? If yes, then I surely know you. 

I keep toying with the idea of pushing further but then training costs come into it and as I'm self employed, it's a cost I can't justify at the moment